Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock is dead
    Posted: September 08 2014 at 18:56
According to Simmons rock is finally dead. Great interview here to pour over
http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/blogs/culture/gene-simmons-future-of-rock

Is he right? Is the new downloading and file sharing killing the industry?
I think it's possible.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 18:57
No he's an idiot. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 19:13
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

No he's an idiot. 
LOL
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 19:43
Perhaps he is. But it's interesting how his words made an impact recently. Is there some truth here?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 20:00
Only thing dead is mediocre cheesy 80s rock like Kiss
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 20:21
I took his comments in that any new band/musician will not have to work as hard to make it like maybe those from the 70's. Because the internet has made it easy for those with infantile talent to post something.

Same reference to the American Idol series, these kids on the show are already touted as the next big thing.

I think his focus is on where is the blood, sweat and tears nowadays...

Sure he might be a doof....but you cannot deny the fact that he has been in the music biz for so long and probably seen, heard, experienced it all by now.
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 20:23
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 21:01
He's just mad that KISS couldn't kill it back when they tried.
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 23:02
Simmons has a point, but he's unable to recognize the implications of his observations because he can't see beyond his own nose.  As a veteran rocker entrenched in the mainstream music industry and all of its trappings, Simmons justifiably looks at what the industry has become and concludes that it is no longer funds and promotes real talent but rather a homogenized, emasculated, and mass-produced parody of its former output.

What Simmons doesn't recognize is that the music has outlived the industry, that there are hundreds if not thousands of great rock bands in the world today making music in smaller markets (either local bands or touring bands who play at smaller venues for smaller crowds) and who now have a global forum for their music in the internet, allowing them to be heard by practically anyone in the world.  This is going on right under Simmons' nose and he doesn't even realize it, poor guy. 

And if he thinks that he and his band were the cream of the crop talent of his day who got picked out of the pile by the record industry solely based upon the quality of their music, he is very sadly deluded indeed.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2014 at 23:36
God is in the TV
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 13:25

Ancient Chinese saying:  Gene Simmons sees no further than the tip of his nose. 

The dude is just tasting the sour grapes of trying to be relevant by utilizing an art form created for kids (the whole Kiss thing was aimed solely at 14 year old boys).  This old douche has always represented the greediest bottom line - he was never a musician, he just played one on TV.  Now he wants to claim that Kiss were loaded with talent?  Schmucks only made it 'cause wearing make up and platform heels while spitting blood was mainstream enough by then to be OKed by the parents of those 14 year olds....Kiss sure upped the schlock quotient in rock by %1000.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 13:55
I can't believe we're discussing an interview of Gene Simmons who states ideas that have been stated by other people TEN YEARS AGO.

Good grief, must we endure another discussion about "Internet killed the record industry"? If Gene Simmons was somewhat clearvoyant, he would rather ask: "Are Google, Amazon, Apple or Spotify the next music conglomerates?"

This man may be a veteran of music industry, but this interview shows he was more a tactician than a strategist (and not even a possible state leader!)
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 14:18
As CPicard said above me, Gene Simmons hasn't really said anything new. 

Whether you like Kiss or not, they were kings of marketing, founding fathers of shock rock, and part of the original American brand of Heavy Metal.  They have a legion of fans known as the Kiss Army, and they made millions of dollars selling rock albums and touring the world playing rock concerts.  Their albums definitely don't sell in the quantities that they used to, but that is more to the lack of interest of younger crowds, as well as the lack of interest from Kiss fans who want to hear Dynasty revisited, not Revenge revisited.  Sure there are still artists out there who are "successful" and creating masterpieces that are bought by 500 of their closest friends and family members, but if your goal is to be a true rock star and live the rock star million dollar life style, you can pretty much forget about it.  A fan who is happy with your music, but doesn't pay for your downloads, may still be a fan, and count as a success, but it doesn't put food on the musicians table, nor coke up his nose.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 09 2014 at 14:19
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2014 at 14:59
Well, the genre doesn't dominate popular music to anywhere the same extent as it did just 20 years. There's also been steadily fewer really classic records and artists since the 1980s or the 1990s in terms of both influence and popularity. It's not like there aren't still good new rock bands, just not ones that are going to redefine the genre...  last time that happened would have been the late-1980s/early-1990s alternative rock scene. The entire genre's around 60 years old by now, and there's been several new musical genres pop up since then which I don't think have peaked anywhere as long ago.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 12:25
This is what I consider the best answer for this total nonsense (Rock is dead), even though it's from another thread:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

When you consider a band like AC/DC to this day still captures teenagers' attention and sound exactly the same now as at their peak of popularity, there must be something to a quality of sound that is timelessly appealing and universally satisfying.   You can't kill rock 'n roll, indeed.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 14:10
A racist, sexist, moronic idiot like Gene Simmons has as much credibility in declaring the death of rock as a pineapple. In fact I'd trust the talking fruit much quicker than the talking tool. 
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2014 at 14:25
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

A racist, sexist, moronic idiot like Gene Simmons has as much credibility in declaring the death of rock as a pineapple. In fact I'd trust the talking fruit much quicker than the talking tool. 

You said it all mate
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 03:26
My point is, how mainstream many rock groups formed in the 21st century are anywhere as popular or influential to the genre's evolution as AC/DC or for that matter KISS? I don't think the genre is literally dead, it's just not at anywhere the same forefront of popular music like it used to.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 05:00
Rock is alive and well, nowadays with a zillion portals, the paradox is you need to drill down cos there is now SO much more Rock/Music outthere. It requires more filtering to find it, which does not make the music any less appealing. Quite satisfying when you find the bands. Rock is very much alive! Different demographics nowadays and probs twice as many people on the planet than in 1970+, more musicians, more listenersSmile

Edited by Chris S - September 11 2014 at 05:05
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 06:24
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

My point is, how mainstream many rock groups formed in the 21st century are anywhere as popular or influential to the genre's evolution as AC/DC or for that matter KISS? I don't think the genre is literally dead, it's just not at anywhere the same forefront of popular music like it used to.
We can't possibly know this because it's one of those things we recognize in hindsight. Sure, rock isn't making the charts, but it's still a massively popular genre that continues to evolve.

Edited by Luna - September 11 2014 at 06:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>