Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedP.A.W.N. (DE): Fine Female Fronted Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: P.A.W.N. (DE): Fine Female Fronted Prog
    Posted: September 11 2014 at 04:28

Only a small part of their album is available so far for public consumption, so I can't suggest a sub for them just yet, but I heard the track 'Vessels' from this outfit playing on Internet radio last night, and thought "Oh - yes please!"...So I'll just let the two guys behind the project do all the talking:

P.A.W.N. is proud to present its first CD: “The Gift of Awareness“ – an epic and melodic Progressive Metal/Rock album that encourages one‘s mind to wander. The heart of the album is the 26-minute title track, the centerpiece for the intricately arranged concept. Progressive guitar riffs alternate with symphonic keyboard sounds and instrumental parts that are surprisingly approachable for the progressive genre. The female vocals offer an unusual contrast to the multilayered and complex music, without resorting to cliched operatic tricks.

From listening to this powerfully produced album, it‘s hard to believe that most of the parts were created by only two musicians: Sebastian Rudolph (Keyboards, Keyboard-Guitars & Basses (Ministry of Rock), Vocals, iPad) and Dennis Matzat (Drums, Percussion). The duo not only composed and recorded the songs, but has also produced the album, in doing so, exploring the boundaries of home recording. Selected guest musicians were invited to join the pair from Hamburg, including Michael Klein. Klein, formerly a full member of P.A.W.N., contributes the lyrics to all of the songs and some vocals to the pirate-progger “A Voyage of Uncertainty“. Gottfried Rudolph and Sven Rhenius support the project with some acoustic-guitar-fills. Finally, the most impressive guest performance is contributed by Lisa-Marie Rothe (Vocals, Artwork and Logo Design).

P.A.W.N. was founded in 2002 as a sequel to the Hamburg Gothic-Death-Metal-combo Querimonia, who released their one and only album “Void of Malice“ in 1998 on the Source of Deluge label. During the next years, P.A.W.N. made a name for itself in Hamburg through gigs in clubs such as Marx, Logo, Knust and Headbanger’s Ballroom. The highlight of these was the participation in the finals of the Hamburg Emergenza Band-Contest 2005 in the sold-out Hamburger Markthalle. However, various member changes made for a difficult road to bigger success. In that time, the original quintet reduced to a trio, and the band is faced with its biggest challenge yet. In 2009 guitarist Daniel Müller-Ramien was diagnosed with a tumor. On this album, he was only able to join in the song “Vessels“ with a short vocal and guitar part. Even so, with his blessing, Sebastian and Dennis decided to continue and finish the record alone. Daniel succumbed to his disease in January 2014, but his spirit and soul live on in every moment of “The Gift of Awareness“.

This album is for you, Daniel.

www.youtube.com/pawnprog
www.facebook.com/pawnprog

Tracklist "The Gift of Awareness":
1. Sailors of the Sky (12:30)
2. The Princess is out tonight (5:37)
3. A Voyage of Uncertainty (12:48)
4. Vessels (8:23)
5. Fatal Wounds (13:14)
6. The Gift of Awareness (26:05)

Total Time 78:37

Can't give you a definite release date as yet, but the album is soon to be available on iTunes and Amazon.de. The guys are also trying to find a label to release the album on CD...& I wish them every success!!  Smile

Edit: This band's debut album was originally due to be released eight or nine years ago when the band was still a five-piece, and was to have been called 'Seven Gates To Oblivion'. The name P.A.W.N. is actually an abbreviation of 'The Projection of Ancient Wisdom and Naration'. Cool The fledgling tracks are all still up on YouTube, but I won't provide the links here since it was never presented to the public as a finished item.

Edited by yam yam - September 11 2014 at 04:53
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 04:35

Sorry Dave, but being promised a femalefronted prog group in your title, and then encountering two nerdy looking (I say that with great affection) dudes in the band pic, really made my morning.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 05:13
Sorry about that David...I think this is the lady in question, but not 100% sure (it comes from what I assume is the same lady's Behance.net profile - Lisa-Marie Rothe did the artwork and logo design for the album as well as the vocals).

Smile
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 10:15
What internet radio station did you hear it on?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2014 at 10:38
It was on morow. Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 11:13
The CD is released today. Hopefully more samples will be available soon for an evaluation to take place.

Cool  Thumbs Up

Edit: To celebrate the launch of the CD today, the guys have uploaded the 26-minute epic final track to YouTube...So, without further ado...

Yeah baby!! Big smile

Edited by yam yam - September 24 2014 at 15:26
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 15:52
I have asked the Heavy Prog team to check this band out, and added them to progfreak:  http://progfreak.com/P-A-W-N--159793.html.   Thumbs Up
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 15:55
Thanks we will check Big smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 16:10
Here's another track that the guys have just uploaded to YouTube - the one I heard on Morow that immediately caused me to stop dead in my tracks and say..."WOW"!!

Cool

Edit: The evaluation of P.A.W.N. for inclusion on progarchives can be followed at http://progfreak.com/P-A-W-N--159793.html?path=pa/recentThumbs Up

Many thanks Thanos. Smile

Edited by yam yam - September 25 2014 at 17:49
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 13:33
P.A.W.N.'s fine debut album "The Gift of Awareness" is now available digitally on bandcamp, and is very reasonably priced too: http://pawnprog.bandcamp.com/album/the-gift-of-awarenessApprove  Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 04:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Sorry Dave, but being promised a femalefronted prog group in your title, and then encountering two nerdy looking (I say that with great affection) dudes in the band pic, really made my morning.

Hey David - These pics are definitely of Lisa-Marie:

Courtesy of their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pawnprog  Thumbs Up

Edit: The first pic I posted was also of Lisa-Marie. Smile

Edited by yam yam - September 30 2014 at 04:35
Pawnprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 03:57
Wow - a thread about our music on Progarchives?!? Embarrassed

We really feel honored. Thanks yam yam for featuring us here and helping us to be listed on Progarchives - really looking forward to the result!

Yesterday we added another track of our album to our youtube.com/pawnprog channel. This one is certainly the heaviest song and it contains one of my favourite moments of the album... the outro to this song (which was inspired by songs like Harlequin forest or Deliverance by Opeth)...

Hope you enjoy as well.

Thanks again guys! Clap

Edit - embedding failure. ConfusedCryDead
Can you guys help me - what am I doing wrong?

Edit #2: Thanks yam yam for the embedding support!

Edited by Pawnprog - October 01 2014 at 09:27
Pawnprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 04:03

Hahaha. LOL

Reading all of this really made my day!!! And yes. I cannot deny that I am in fact that kind of prog nerd you are talking about. Actually, if you spend a good portion of your free time in front of a computer for four years, writing and producing this stuff, you become this nerd automatically... LOL

But we are really happy to have Lisa as the nerd-counterpart! Wink
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 11:47
In Dave's delight, P.A.W.N.'s album is presented tonight on http://www.justincaseradio.com/
at 19.00 BST / 20.00 CET
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 12:07
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Hey David - These pics are definitely of Lisa-Marie:

Courtesy of their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pawnprog  Thumbs Up

Edit: The first pic I posted was also of Lisa-Marie. Smile

Thanks DaveEmbarrassedLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 14:55
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

In Dave's delight, P.A.W.N.'s album is presented tonight on http://www.justincaseradio.com/
at 19.00 BST / 20.00 CET

That's brilliant Thanos!  Thank you so much - the guys will be delighted! Approve

I only wish I had got up from my afternoon/evening slumbers (I unfortunately work nights Sleepy) in time for the start of the show - but I usually catch the last hour of it, and was indeed treated to 'Vessels' at around 8.30pm UK time - and right at this moment 'Fatal Wounds' is playing, so I will go off to my shift a very happy bunny later on this evening!  Thumbs Up  Big smile
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 15:05
^ sounds like a plan Thumbs Up - thanks Dave
Pawnprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 02:38
You guys really rock! Hug

Thanks again David for recommending our album to Thanos and for your incredible support - also here on this thread.
And thanks Thanos for your great show yesterday - we really had such a nice time hanging out with you.

Now we hope that the evaluation of our album for the addition here on PA will be finished soon. Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 03:39
This all goes to show what a massive part Internet radio plays in assisting up-and-coming prog acts to get themselves heard. I doubt that any FM or DAB station in the World would include this sort of stuff in its normal rotation - with the exception of maybe Planet Rock - who do a weekly show called 'One Man And His Prog' on a Sunday Night (hosted by Darren Redick). Internet radio stations like Morow, Prog.FM, Delicious Agony - and a fair few others - churn out prog 24/7, but without a presenter in sight. This is where Justin Case Prog Radio (and also Aiiradio.net) scores over the rest of them - there is someone on hand to actually talk about the music that is featured on the shows, and the opportunity for listeners to join in the discusion via the chatroom. But despite that, none of this would have happened if I hadn't been stopped dead in my tracks by the wonderful 'Vessels' being played to me via Morow's autopilot while I was peeling my spuds the other week, and it has been a great pleasure for me to be able to spread the word and help this fine band (duo) get firmly on its way.

I wish you every success, guys! Clap
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 18:13
Another track from the album has been uploaded to YouTube:

Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>