Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaptain Beefheart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What's your favorite Captain Beefheart record?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [11.43%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [34.29%]
4 [11.43%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.71%]
7 [20.00%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 16:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Not that I don't have a thing for strange music, but that one still hasn't clicked with me.

Again, it took a bit with me as well, but when it clicks...Thumbs Up

Serious kick with TMR these past couple of days.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 16:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

'Clear Spot' for me.......(I have all the studio ones including  the 'Dust' mini  box set that came out a while back.)
It's the most accessible one while remaining true to his avant garde ideas and blues roots.

And 'Big Eyed Beans From Venus is one of the best things he has ever done...imho.
Clear Spot is an amazing album. Could have been a hit.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 16:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

'Clear Spot' for me.......(I have all the studio ones including  the 'Dust' mini  box set that came out a while back.)
It's the most accessible one while remaining true to his avant garde ideas and blues roots.

And 'Big Eyed Beans From Venus is one of the best things he has ever done...imho.

I meant to say I agree with this. Got carried away on another Beefheart post LOL.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I meant to say I agree with this. Got carried away on another Beefheart post LOL.
Spot light Kid is another favorite of mine and I think he hit his peak then though Doc and the later ones  are also very good.
I see a lot of love for Trout Mask.....imho it's a  mess at times and too avant garde for it's own good.
It's simply not accessible enough and at some point if you are making music for people to enjoy it has to make some sense on a melodic and listenable level. For me it's too much work to try and enjoy it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 06:02

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

Spot light Kid is another favorite of mine and I think he hit his peak then though Doc and the later ones  are also very good.
I see a lot of love for Trout Mask.....imho it's a  mess at times and too avant garde for it's own good.
It's simply not accessible enough and at some point if you are making music for people to enjoy it has to make some sense on a melodic and listenable level. For me it's too much work to try and enjoy it.

Completely understandable, dr. wu. It really can be a mess on the ears - I like the way you worded that. And while it does appear a bit ambitious, I still manage to pull it all together and just give Beefheart the benefit of the doubt, and just say "It's Beefheart being Beefheart", and it just allows the whole thing to feel like one big hallucinogenic poetry trip LOL.

Although "Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish" is enough to send anyone and everyone for the hills if they aren't prepared...LOL
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 22:40

Trout Mask Replica.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:23
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Trout Mask Replica.

That's right, The Mascara Snake! Trout Mask Replica!

Tight, also. LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 23:12
Took this old thread too, there seem not to be many votes. Captain is my long time favourite with Dr. John, Nick Cave and Tom Waits. I choose Trout, but Lick My Decals, Doc and Ice Cream are very near. I think I will spin Ice Cream next...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 23:14
After voting I noticed Strictly Personal hasnīt got any votes, itīs one of my big faves too.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 02:30
Trout Mask Replica all the way.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 07:29
Safe as Milk for me; surprised it only had two votes. Sometimes being accessible ain't a bad thing in my books and sometimes brevity is a plus. That said, I do like Trout Mask Replica a lot when I'm in the mood.

I posted this clip in the other bumped Beefheart thread (against Genesis debut), but I love this.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 07:43
^Well, Lick My Decals also got only three votes and Ice Cream only 1!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 08:22
I prefer Lick my Decals to Ice Cream, but like both too. Lick me Decals is a highly regarded album by those in the know and by many who appreciate quirky music and I might have thought that would get more votes too. Doc has six, and I haven't even heard that one.

It's more to do with my recollection of discussions on Beefheart. I seem to recall Safe as Milk being more popular than this poll indicates, and being appreciated by people who don't enjoy the more out-there Beefheart albums, especially those who don't appreciate Trout Mask Replica. Anyway, this topic didn't get attention over a long period initially, so I'm not really surprised, and it's not like Beefheart has the popularity of, say, Camel.

Lick my Decals is more accessible than Trout, but less accessible music than Safe as Milk. Safe as Milk is an album that I've recommended to various more mainstream listeners. Side-note: Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols listed Trout Mask Replica as one of his favourite albums.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 08:48
Much as I love Trout Mask, I have to go with Lick My Decals.  I also really like Grow Fins (surprised it isn't included).  I saw the Decals lineup at Ungano's in NYC in 1971.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 09:09
Lucid tentacles test 'n sleeved
'n joined 'n jointed jade pointed
Diamond back patterns
Neon meate dream of a octafish
Artifact on rose petals
'n flesh petals 'n pots
Fack 'n feast 'n tubes tubs bulbs
In jest incest injest injust in feast incest
'n specks 'n speckled speckled
Speckled speculation

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 12:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I prefer Lick my Decals to Ice Cream, but like both too. Lick me Decals is a highly regarded album by those in the know and by many who appreciate quirky music and I might have thought that would get more votes too. Doc has six, and I haven't even heard that one.

It's more to do with my recollection of discussions on Beefheart. I seem to recall Safe as Milk being more popular than this poll indicates, and being appreciated by people who don't enjoy the more out-there Beefheart albums, especially those who don't appreciate Trout Mask Replica. Anyway, this topic didn't get attention over a long period initially, so I'm not really surprised, and it's not like Beefheart has the popularity of, say, Camel.

Lick my Decals is more accessible than Trout, but less accessible music than Safe as Milk. Safe as Milk is an album that I've recommended to various more mainstream listeners. Side-note: Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols listed Trout Mask Replica as one of his favourite albums.
Not heard Doc??!! I think you should really go to the nearest record shop and buy it! My order in Beefheart albums is: Trout, Lick, Doc, Ice Cream and then maybe next Strictly. I really love Safe as Milk too, I think also itīs most commonly respected Beefheart album. Well, I think Clear Spot is too. But yes, I think also Beefheart is much more respected in the group of punk listeners (not the most puritan ones) than prog listeners.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 12:16
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Much as I love Trout Mask, I have to go with Lick My Decals.  I also really like Grow Fins (surprised it isn't included).  I saw the Decals lineup at Ungano's in NYC in 1971.
Grow Fins is rarities compilation, mostly compilations are not in these kind of polls. I am jealous you have seen Beefheart, really would have like to!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 12:47
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Not heard Doc??!! I think you should really go to the nearest record shop and buy it! My order in Beefheart albums is: Trout, Lick, Doc, Ice Cream and then maybe next Strictly. I really love Safe as Milk too, I think also itīs most commonly respected Beefheart album. Well, I think Clear Spot is too. But yes, I think also Beefheart is much more respected in the group of punk listeners (not the most puritan ones) than prog listeners.

No decent record shops close to here as I live in a wasteland, but when I'm next downtown I will look to get it on vinyl (used preferably since I like a little extra hiss, crackle, snap and pop with my Beefheart). The other one I want to get is Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) -- quite a few Beefheart albums are missing from my collection (some cause I never got them and many albums due to a flood -- best not to store your records in a hotub, not that I did).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 13:03

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

No decent record shops close to here as I live in a wasteland, but when I'm next downtown I will look to get it on vinyl (used preferably since I like a little extra hiss, crackle, snap and pop with my Beefheart). The other one I want to get is Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) -- quite a few Beefheart albums are missing from my collection (some cause I never got them and many albums due to a flood -- best not to store your records in a hotub, not that I did).
If possible, try to get UK pressing of it - there are also lyrics with it. I got Us version without lyrics. Shiny Beast is the only Beefheart albums with lyrics to me. Got all official Beefheart albums, but Trout Mask is later pressing without lyrics and Lick is UK pressing without lyrics. Also got cheap version of Ice Cream without lyric inner.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 15:13
Mask
Beast
Decals
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>