Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson - ProjeKcts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson - ProjeKcts
    Posted: September 12 2014 at 14:23
Not talking about "A Scarity of Miracles"

Im talking about the other ProjeKcts.
Now important/good do you think they are. ?
I know "ProjeKct X", and "The Deception of the Thrush" and I think they are both amassing.
I would not say they are better or worse than other later KC releases, they are too different to compare.
They demand a special mood for me to enjoy, but in such a mood I love them !!
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2014 at 14:50
Yeah, in the right mood I can listen to these Projekcts all day long, esp. P3 & P4.

A must for the proper, not much for the casual though.

Favorite : The Roar of P4/Live in SF

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 12:13
As a King Crimson fan alla the Red era, I find I can't really get into the Projekcts all that much. As a matter of fact, after Discipline, Beat, and 'Perfect Pair, I think things kind of fell apart. And I've witnessed Tony Levin bombard the song Red with much too much bass. And I missed Crimso live in their prime. Aw, shucks.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 02:38
As someone who is not as familiar with The Projekcts as I'd like to be, what is best to start with?
grom63 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 06:15
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

As someone who is not as familiar with The Projekcts as I'd like to be, what is best to start with?

I've listened all studio albums of KC, wherein early albums had listened not once. Than three albums: 1980-1984 is good too, but these albums are less attractive and magic. Two last albums is very depressive, sound like a metal and it's not in my habitat Smile (I' ve listened small amount of progressive metal records)

Join to question of point to start for listening "KC Projects" and other band formed members of KC.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 09:23
I dig the "chamber" Crimson - the second incarnation who produced Lizard and Island.  The first Crimso band was OK, but it never really caught my ear.....too much "down time" on both Court and Poseidon.  The third KC was amazing....jaw dropping....one of the best prog bands to grace a stage.  Then Fripp broke it all up and caught the Eno/New York City/new wave bug.....Exposure, the Roches/Daryll Hall/Peter Gabriel.  Some good stuff, but a world away from Crimso.  Unfortunately, it's where Fripp settled - Discipline was pretty cool, but the next two albums sounded very similar without the quality of songwriting. 

The Projects.....meh.  A lot of flash but just not very interesting.  I saw them with the double trio....lots of sound and fury signifying nothing.  A lot of technique but very little listenable music. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 09:43
My personal favorites is p1 - Live at the Jazz Cafe - 100% improvised with the Bruford/Levin rhythm section and Fripp and Gunn over the top - wonderful stuff
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 20:23
I really like/love Space Groove.
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 03:06
I prefer Masque (3) & West Coast live (4) from the box.

Got it during my crush on the band from the power to believe.

Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 05:53
As i said, i one know two albums, one is a collection. So im not fit to give advise of where to start.   
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 23:19
In the 90's King Crimson, there was a conscious effort to recapture some of what made King Crimson special in the 73-74 period.  VROOOM revisited some unused guitar riffs from that era (hearable on an improve on the Zoom club CD) and the projeKcts were a chance to revisit the composition methods of the Starless and Bible Black album.

"The Great Deceiver" box set introduced a new generation of fans (like me) to the incredible power of King Crimson's live improvisation.  But commercial reality in the 90's was not inviting for improvised rock music.  Plus, there seemed to be difficulty in getting the whole band together at one time.  So, King Crimson "fractalized" and became 4 improvisatory prokeKcts.

When I first received the box set of projeKcts 1-4, I thought I had received a gift handed down from Mount Olympus.  If you can afford it, experiencing the projeKcts this way is very special, because you can capture the flavor of each projeKct exploring in its own way.

ProjeKct 1 is the best in terms of improvisation.  Fripp, Levin, and Bruford have the sensibility necessary to find that magical rapport and run with it.  Trey Gunn stays safely in the background.

ProjeKct 2 has the most composed music, along a space theme, and the delight of putting Adrian Belew in the position of drummer on some new Roland V-Drums.

ProjeKct 3 is really the least focused of all.  The disc in the box set is actually a remix done by Pat Mastelotto.  It has my favorite cover art, and my favorite 2 minutes of music on the whole set, but mostly, it is not terribly interesting.

ProjeKct 4 made me think that a new kind of music was being invented.  Even 14 years later, this sounds like music of the future.  It is a badass fusion of hard electronic rhythms and dentist-drill guitars.  Absolutely amazing. 
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 02:32
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I dig the "chamber" Crimson - the second incarnation who produced Lizard and Island.  The first Crimso band was OK, but it never really caught my ear.....too much "down time" on both Court and Poseidon.  The third KC was amazing....jaw dropping....one of the best prog bands to grace a stage.  Then Fripp broke it all up and caught the Eno/New York City/new wave bug.....Exposure, the Roches/Daryll Hall/Peter Gabriel.  Some good stuff, but a world away from Crimso.  Unfortunately, it's where Fripp settled - Discipline was pretty cool, but the next two albums sounded very similar without the quality of songwriting. 

The Projects.....meh.  A lot of flash but just not very interesting.  I saw them with the double trio....lots of sound and fury signifying nothing.  A lot of technique but very little listenable music. 

Agreed on all counts. 
 Post Reply Post Reply