Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkish teenager says hi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish teenager says hi
    Posted: September 15 2014 at 14:11
Hi!

I'm a 16 year old Turk (we're not dark-skinned nor do we ride camels), and I joined this website about 3-4 days ago.

Prog artists that I'm very familiar with:

King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush, Jethro Tull, Camel (speaking of!), Yes, Van der Graaf Generator, ELP, Gentle Giant, Caravan, Dream Theatre (Taken from my signature)

Prog artists I'm in the process of getting into:

Mike Oldfield, Frank Zappa (and the Mothers of Invention), Supertramp, Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree

Prog artists I hope to get into in the future:

Focus, Beardfish, PFM, Alan Parsons Project, Renaissance, Harmonium, Tool, Kansas, Riverside, Can

I'm not really liking Porcupine Tree, though. I've listened to most of Deadwing and the famous "Trains" from In Absentia, but really, nothing I listened to was "great"; "Arriving Somewhere..." also didn't leave much of an impression on me... HELP!

Also, should I get into Magma? I know they have a grotesque language that they invented in their songs; will their vocals be... Bad?

Same with Opeth: should I get into them and why?

Thanks for reading!
20+ prog bands discovered and explored in 3 years, still going strong...
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 06:02
Hi there! I like a lot of those bands you listed. RE Magma, I personally like 'em a lot but they took some time to grow on me (the vocals especially, those of which I think are great now too). Anyway, it can't hurt to give them a try. Opeth I'm no expert on but if guttural growls and really heavy music isn't an obstacle for you then it's probably not a bad idea to give them a go, they've got some softer albums also. So yeah, welcome and enjoy. Smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 06:09
Hi and welcome to PA
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 06:31
For Renaissance, go for SCHEHERAZADE AND OTHER STORIES or ASHES ARE BURNING.

For Kansas, pick of their first five albums.  If by chance the first track turns you off, don't be turned off- stick around.  Seriously, the foot-stomping country rocker of "Down the Road," for example, would seem like it has no business coming before the anthemic "Song for America."  Also,
Somewhere To Elsewhere is marvelous.

And I'm no Magma expert, but if you want a "safe" introduction, I strongly recommend
Félicité Thösz.  Likewise with Opeth, if you want a safe introduction, grab Damnation.
 Post Reply Post Reply