Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGospel in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gospel in Prog
    Posted: September 15 2014 at 18:49
I am looking for progressive rock songs that have strong gospel influences.

Songs like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi8-3D5KEVw for example have very strong and powerful vocals and background choir (I dont know much about gospel/soul so this might be a bad example). What I'm looking for are songs that feature these kinds of strong and powerful vocals but exceed the normal slightly boring and basic gospel by the use of better instrumentation and song complexity.

Examples are difficult because I havent really found it yet but still:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUSaO07ThmY
Very strong beautiful vocals by PP Arnold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtiUoEbwD7Q
I love the bit with the Lord's Prayer

Extra info:
I am not religious. I just love the music so recommendations do not have to be religious.
I dont like heavy prog stuff and prog metal.
I generaly prefer the 70's stuff but more recent music is also welcome.
I hope my thread will also be usefull for other people who are looking for similar stuff just like numorous other threads have helped me to find new music.

To anyone who answers: Thank you!

Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 21:03
I'm sure there are quite a few, but it may take me a while to remember some. The first that comes to mind is Magma. I'd be surprised if you haven't at least heard of them, as they're pretty well known here on progarchives. Imagine a church choir of prog loving aliens Wink

On the actual Christian Gospel side of things, this one's by Kerry Livgren:

I hope that's what you're looking for! 

Edited by Friday13th - September 15 2014 at 21:04
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 21:16
I'm not sure if I understand correctly what the gospel choirs are, but I think Rick Wakeman may have some albums that would be what you are looking for. To begin with, thre's a song on "Criminal Record" called "Judas Iscariot"... it is intrumental, but still has lot's of choirs and church organ. Then there's the album "The New Gospels" (I guess "Gospels" would do just as well, but the one I have is the other one), though this one is very soft... just Wakeman's keyboards played rather softly, a tenor singing, and lot's of choirs (and narration). Perhaps one of the best albums for using this kind of choirs might be "Can you hear me?". Also "Out There" has some songs with choirs, but perhaps the most evident one for what you are looking for could be "Cathedral in the Sky" (this album is one of my favourite albums from some 70's artist done in later years, actually). As a matter of fact, perhaps his orchestrated albums could qualify for what you are looking for, since they are really choir heavy too (though I'm not so sure it's the kind you want, but it might just as well suite you): "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Myths and Legends from King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table", and "Return to the Center of the Earth", plus perhaps the orchestrated live version of "6 Wives of Henry the VIII" (though that's an instrumental album, but still he added lot's of choirs on this concert).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 21:35
Oh yeah, I might also add Therion... even though that one is metal, and just about no prog, but it's got lot's of wonderful choirs. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a (black) mass while listening to them (yeah, I'm afraid they have lots of black magic lyrics and so on, which I'm not particularly fond of from them).
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2014 at 22:01
Here's "The Preacher" from Kansas:

dodur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 13:14
Thanks everyone!

I have heard of Magma, in fact MDK is one of favorite albums. I should have added them with the examples. Great suggestion anyway.
Kerry Livgren is great and certainly fits what I am looking for. Thanks Friday13th!

I am also familiar with Rick Wakeman's solo stuff. Because of its high ratings I bought the album "The Six Wives..." but I didn't think it was that great. I will surely give the other albums you listed a try. His albums with choirs will perhaps be a more gentle intro to Wakeman.
Nice suggestions Dellinger. And you are right that my description of what I am looking for is a bit unclear, but that's because I didn't really think it through. Therefore this added example: MDK by Magma.

I didn't know that song by Kansas and although I am not a real Kansas fan it is not that bad and the choir bits are great. Thanks!
dodur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 13:16
And wow. Just found out Kerry Livgren was in Kansas.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 14:06
NEAL MORSEEEEEEEEE
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 14:06
Originally posted by dodur dodur wrote:

Really?  (no offense)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 20:14

Thanks everyone!

I have heard of Magma, in fact MDK is one of favorite albums. I should have added them with the examples. Great suggestion anyway.
Kerry Livgren is great and certainly fits what I am looking for. Thanks Friday13th!

I am also familiar with Rick Wakeman's solo stuff. Because of its high ratings I bought the album "The Six Wives..." but I didn't think it was that great. I will surely give the other albums you listed a try. His albums with choirs will perhaps be a more gentle intro to Wakeman.
Nice suggestions Dellinger. And you are right that my description of what I am looking for is a bit unclear, but that's because I didn't really think it through. Therefore this added example: MDK by Magma.

I didn't know that song by Kansas and although I am not a real Kansas fan it is not that bad and the choir bits are great. Thanks!

Well, I do think 6 Wives is great. However, it's not the studio version I thought you might give a try, but the live version on Hampton Court Palace, for that version has an orchestra and choir added.
dodur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 16:47
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Really?  (no offense)

Yeah as I said... not a Kansas fan.
I listened to their "The best of Kansas" album a couple of times since I downloaded (sshhht) it 6 or 7 years ago but apart from Closet Cronicles live and Song for America I thought it was not that special and a bit to southern for me. To conclude: I actually know nothing about Kansas.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 20:37
Well a best of album is always the best way to try out a band as you will get all the hits.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 21:10
How about this

Edited by kenethlevine - September 17 2014 at 21:15
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 12:24
'Tull's A Passion Play comprises its own gospel, and I'm saved, hallelujah amen!
aaroncliftmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:56
Good suggestions with Magma.  There's also the very obvious suggestion of Pink Floyd, especially their mid-period stuff ("Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Hear").
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 14:43
When I hear "gospel in prog" I immediately think what Horizons already had posted above - Neal Morse
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 17:51
I don't have super proggy suggestions. I really like backing vocals that add a spiritual quality in a spacey church-like way , rather than in a soul/funk gospel way. I guess there are different characters of gospel since it relates to different music styles. But I've tried to find gospel elements.

Demis Roussos ‎– My Face In The Rain        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRfm5tbmjcw        some of roussos songs have great backing vocals. this is more towards the church thing rather than soul-funky, but there is some of that towards the end too.
        (edit: originally a Vangelis song from 1973)

GNP - Love Must Be The Answer        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJS1KraGXw     Side project from two members of Saga. This album is quite unknown, but I like this kind of cheesy song.

The Alan Parsons Project - You’re Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOM51Im-Kes   I'm not so excited about this song, but I thought I could throw it in.

Bruce Cockburn - Bright Sky            http://tinysong.com/1jQ1v    has verses were a vocal choir sings a refrain at the end of each verse, in a folky gospel way I guess.

Bruce Cockburn - Lament For The Last Days    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqL3lOvgxvs    more country/blues/singer-songwriter with a lot of verses and spiritual gospel singing later on. Maybe too low key though.

Barclay James Harvest - Sideshow http://tinysong.com/zyBK    Straightforward song, but have a nice souly backing vocals and orchestral stuff, like pizzicato strings, and I particularly like the last two minutes.

Automatic Man - "There's a way" This is more a funky/souly/ feeling with harmonized vocal parts. Don't know if it's enough gospel, but there are a lot of vocal parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOvaLLITG_Y

Pete Bardens - On the air tonight   Weak album, but I like this song because of the backing vocal parts interplaying with the main vocals. But maybe it isn't enough of gospel character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5_2icf323A

Pete Townshend - Give Blood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-GrwawwRM With David Gilmour, guitar and, Simon Phillips, awesome drumming.

Edited by wilmon91 - September 20 2014 at 07:20
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 21:09
Osanna – Fog in My Mind. This always had a gospel feel to me.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 21:44

Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Really?  (no offense)

Yeah as I said... not a Kansas fan.
I listened to their "The best of Kansas" album a couple of times since I downloaded (sshhht) it 6 or 7 years ago but apart from Closet Cronicles live and Song for America I thought it was not that special and a bit to southern for me. To conclude: I actually know nothing about Kansas.

Please for the love of God get a studio album from the 70s.

The debut has this:

and this:

Edited by Epignosis - September 19 2014 at 21:44
progresssaurus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 02:11
Try 2TM2,3 from Poland, here is "Jesus is Lord" for example

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>