Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (106)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [10.00%]
4 [40.00%]
4 [40.00%]
1 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (106)
    Posted: September 16 2014 at 03:39

Caldera : A moog mass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0hDDC49Ll0

Gong : Continental circus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9_-_ZhgSYI

The Ghoulies : Dogged by dogma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnJk0X_uF8

Toto Blanke : Spider's dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALFSI4KCdC8

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 03:39

Caldera, A Moog Mass 

(Kama Sutra KSRS 2020)

The buzz: Early use of the Moog with speech synthesis effects.

Caldera was the duo Malcolm Cecil and Robert Margouleff, who met at Media Sound in New York where they engineered and produced music for film and television. They befriended Bob Moog in 1969 and worked through Moog distributor Walter Sears to acquire their first Moog components. Margouleff became the maestro of the Moog at Media Sound. He was hired by producer John Hammond to program the Moog for the albumSpace Hymn (1970) by Lothar and the Hand People. During this same time, Margouleff and Cecil helped Bob Moog conceive and package large Modular systems for studio use while Bob Moog himself was readying production of the Minimoog. The pair gradually created a large, custom modular system of their own that they dubbed The Original Neo-Timbral Orchestra (TONTO), and as a recording duo they called themselves Tonto’s Expanding Head Band. By 1971, they worked at Motown on synthesis for a series of highly innovative albums by Stevie Wonder. Somewhere between Lothar and the Hand People and Stevie Wonder, they produced this first record of their own music, A Moog Mass. This was a concept album revolving around the Stabat Mater Dolorosa, a 13th Century Catholic Hymn to Mary. The creepy image of Mary on the cover might make you think you were looking at another satanic mass album. But, not to worry. This album was very Catholic, Latin and all. This might seem like an odd choice of subject matter for a Moog record, but at the time composers and producers of electronic music were exploring many genres of music with the hope of producing another blockbuster likeSwitched-on BachA Moog Mass is remarkable for several reasons. It is important as an early collaboration of Margouleff and Cecil and it skillfully combined music composed for the Moog with cello and harpsichord plus spoken word and electronic vocalizations. Perhaps most interesting, it represented an early exploration of voice synthesis techniques although it is unclear if this was done using an actual vocoder (Moog was selling one by 1970) or a more creative use of the synthesizer’s fixed filter bank modules for voice modification. Wendy Carlos, whose famous synthesized vocalizations would appear on the soundtrack to A Clockwork Orange (December 1971), reports that she was working on this technique long before she worked on music for the film. Her creative approach to voice synthesis used a ten-band Moog fixed-filter bank and corresponding envelope followers and voltage-controlled amplifiers to encode and decode the vocals. Caldera’s vocalizations were also wonderfully harmonic and uncannily like those of Carlos, so it seems that they were using filter banks instead of a vocoder as well. The Billboard reviewer assigned to write about A Moog Mass wasn’t sure what to make of the album, writing, “So straight it’s freaky. Or so freaky that it’s straight. And when was the last time you had a talk with The Man Upstairs?” (November 14, 1970). 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 04:08

Review by Tom Ozric 
PROG REVIEWER
4 stars This was my very first Gong purchase back in 1989, and it floored me then, and still floors me now. I love the manic riffs, and relentless jamming within the lengthy tracks, Pip Pyle's tasteful drumming (sadly recently deceased - aint life unfair?) and Daevid's Glissandos can really catapult one's mind into the far reaches of the cosmos without ever leaving the bed- room. And no, I don't partake in herbal or fungal abuse either. Didier Malherbe's awesome sax playing has an unusual sound quality to it on this recording, kind of 'clicky' and thin. The album is built around 4 tracks, of which 'What do you Want?' is a variation of 'Fohat Digs Holes in Space' from the hilarious Camembert Electrique album a year earlier. Blues for Findlay comes in vocal and instrumental versions and niether out-stay their welcome. A way-cool space-rock album with touches of Canterbury - highly recommended.

Gong — Continental Circus
(Mantra 089, 1971/1994, CD)

by Peter Thelen, Published 1996-03-01

Reissued late last year without much fanfare, this was recorded by an early version of Gong circa Camembert Electrique, and was the score to the film by Jerome Lapperrousaz by the same name, about a motorcycle race in 1970. This is more the spacy and open-ended Gong material that finds a groove and flows; only two of the album's four tracks have lyrics, and three clock in at well over nine minutes apiece, giving the band plenty of room to stretch out and explore. Some dialog from the film finds its way into the second track, but after that it's all spacerock in its purest form. "What Do You Want?" and an instrumental take of the opener "Blues for Findlay" carry the listener off into hyperspace. While this album is no match forCamembert, especially when considering its conceptual aspects, it does show the early band at its free-flowing instrumental best, and is well worth seeking out.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 05:06
First vote for Toto Blanke. Cool. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 05:15
I am very partial to the 80s Canterbury sound of Dogged By Dogma but have yet to hear the other ones included (I do have the GonG one though). 
The Caldera album sounds very intriguing to me. Definitely going to investigate! I also seem to remember reading a recent review of it here on PA. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 05:31
Yeah I understand you reserves about the 80's Canterbury sound. But this album is really good and the only (as far as I know) example of a new wave canterbury's album. It is a pity there are no other clips on you tube. Certain songs are much better.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 13:44

With his first group, “Association P.C.” Toto Blanke made many tours in Europe, Asia and Africa. In 1970 Toto decided to give up his profession as a graduate in architecture in favour of only working as a professional musician. He played on nearly all the important European festivals and in 1971 he established his international reputation on the “Berliner Jazztage”. Within five years this group recorded seven LPs, one of them with the American flute player Jeremy Steig. In 1975 Toto recorded his first album “Spider’s Dance”, Phonogram, with Joachim Kühn, Charly Mariano, John Lee and Gerry Brown. In the meantime he gave duo-concerts with Philip Catherine and Jasper van’t Hof. LPs with van’t Hof, Rolf and Joachim Kühn, Randy Brecker and others were released at that time, too.
It was the “Baden Baden New Jazzmeeting 1976” where Toto founded his first “Electric Circus” group with Jasper van’t Hof and the Finnish drummer Edward Vesala. In the same year the first Electric Circus LP was recorded. It was described by international critics as a milestone in the history of Jazz and contemporary music of the eighties. In 1978 Toto Blanke was sent to Perugia, Italy, by ARD to represent the Federal Republic of Germany at the EBU concert.A new LP was released: “Tales of Tomorrow”, Bellaphone, and Toto and Charly Mariano made an extremely successful tour through the former GDR which was repeated one year later. A very prolific cooperation followed with Stu Goldberg, Trilok Gurtu, Tony Lakatos and Norbert Dömling. After several tours two new LPs were recorded: “Friends” and “Family”.Since 1978 Toto has played with Rudolf Dasek more frequently and this duo made tours through Europe (east and west), Africa, Asia, Brazil and Argentina. Seven noteworthy CDs were released: “Silhouettes”, “Tramontana”, “Talking Hands”, “Kirchenmusik”, “Two Much Guitar”, “Between the Bridge and the Silence” and “Mona Lisa”. At the same time Electric Circus with Tony Lakatos, Norbert Dömling and several drummers produced a new CD: “Bella Donna”, Aliso. In 1985 Toto composed the music for a Garcia Lorca theatre-play: “In seinem Garten lebt Don Perlinplin”, released on a CD of the same name. Fascinated by the Argentine Tango music Toto founded the “Trio Tango”, together with Raul Montero, a well known singer from Uruguay, and a number of excellent Bandoneon Players. Blanke and Montero recorded a new CD: “Fools Paradise”, music for an unfinished film. Organized by the Goethe-Institut Toto gave a number of concerts in several countries of Latin America in 1991 and 1992. With Dasek Toto recorded the CD “Two Much Guitar” and in 1992 he formed a Quartet with the virtuoso on the Bandoneon Rene Maria Rivero from Uruguay, the Portuguese bass player Carlos Bica and the Argentine percussionist Marcio Doctor. On their large tour through Europe they played a mixture of Modern Jazz and Tango Nuevo. In 1993 Blanke/Dasek recorded Kirchenmusik No. 2: “Meditation” in the Bartholomäuskapelle in Paderborn, Germany (the famous romanesque chapel offering a fantastic sounding and 5 seconds reverb). In the same year “Energy Fields” was released, recorded with “Das Obertontrio” at the same place. In 1996 Toto and the Argentine virtuoso on the guitar and charango, Diego Jasca, recorded “Sur”. “Electric Circus Best” was released in 1997 and “Take Two” in 1999. Also in 1999 a live CD was released in Prague: “Between The Bridge and the Silence.” The latest CD “Going Crazy” was released 2004.

Line-up / Musicians

John Lee/Bass
Gerry Brown/Drums
Toto Blanke/Guitar
Joachim Kühn/Piano 
Charly Mariano/Saxophone,Flute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T51FSRit19Q
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 14:02
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

First vote for Toto Blanke. Cool. 
That was me. First and only so far. A real gem of an album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 14:11
Thumbs Up I agree. This particular Toto Blanke and some Joachim Kuhn or Philip Catherine 70's albums are terrific. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 19:39
I went with Gong but all were interesting especially Toto Blanke.Thumbs Up
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2014 at 23:07
Know that Gong album very well, it probably is their most obscure '70s album. The Caldera link didn't work for me but I found the album on YT. I know the Head Band but never heard that album before. I know of The Ghoulies but never heard their music before; I really liked that sample and have to find that album. I voted for The Ghoulies.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 01:49
Thanks for you vote, guys.Heart I really like that Gong album too. It is my favorite with YOU. Darryl,I adore the Ghoulies and does not understand why this album is so unknown. A remastered CD would be welcome. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 02:09

THE GHOULIES

Dogged By Dogma

Original UK LP released on Lounging Records in 1982.

Rare and obscure Canterbury group consists of two parts.

"GROUP ONE" (plays on 1/3/7 tracks): Phil John (bass, backing vocals), Nigel Harris (Drums, percussion), Charlie Summers (guitars, vocal, flageolets, organ), Simon Smith (Backing vocals, organ), Spike Reptile (violin, guitar, voices), Ben Wilson (backing vocals)

"GROUP TWO" plays on rest of album: Jake Bowie (fretless bass), Elaine Morgan (lead-backing vocals), Pip Pyle (drums), Dave Stewart (Keyboards), Charlie Summers (guitars, vocals), James Driscoll Junior (vocal).

-------------------------------------------------------

In 1982, a strange album, Dogged By Dogma, appeared under the name of The Ghoulies, a project masterminded by one Charlie Summers, and featuring no less than Dave Stewart and Pip Pyle alongside a host of anonymous Welsh session musicians. The music itself bore more than a passing resemblance to that of Hatfield and the North, a major influence of Summers, who got in touch with Stewart through mutual acquaintance Green Gartside (Scritti Politti's vocalist, whom Stewart had approached to sing on his debut solo single "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted?"). With his regular drummer Nigel Harris having moved to London, Summers also managed to get Pyle involved, and recording sessions took place in Cardiff sometime in 1981. He then founded his own label, Lounging Records, ultimately selling around 3000 copies, which unfortunately was not enough (in spite of John Peel's support) to envision doing more projects under the Ghoulies banner.

Tracks Are :-

Side One

Listening To My Neighbour Singing

Sexist Conversation

Social Workers

Hollow Cost

Make Sure Your Garage Is Large Enough

Side Two

Stabbing Cats

CS's

Look Mum No Hands Parts 1-3

A Large Lounge And Yawn