Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTechical nous or individualism whats better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 02:51
The problem with these discussions is usually that non musicians come along and say "Hey, Hendrix, man, best guitarist ever" - when asked *why* they get a bit lost for an answer, other than it's what they've been told, and, er........ I can't blame them for not knowing anything about the use of I7#9 chords and whether that's innovative or not, my take on it is "fairly but not much compared to what some jazz guitarists got up to.... and Hendrix had a great deal of influences, including jazz."

John McLaughlin was, for me, far more impressive. If you stick on "Meeting of the spirits" then you may have an indication of what I'm talking about.

Then again, you might not. ;-) Y'see, the problem is that a lot of people can't actually hear music properly. A staggeringly large number of people can't hold a tune or even clap in time. They hear something which they're told is amazing by some (invariably) clueless music journalist, and it becomes de rigeur to assume that Guitarist X is the best thing since sliced bread. All guitarists - all musicians - work on a huge mental back catalogue of influences - for example, listen to Red House by Jimi Hendrix, and you'll hear Buddy Guy, B B King, Muddy Waters etc. The approach in playing it, for the time, was revolutionary, so, for an example, the technique and execution is innovative. But there ain't much new there in terms of content. 

There are only 12 notes to an octave. A lot of guitar solos are in pentatonic major and minor keys, where you're really only using five notes. So there are only so many combinations, and nearly everything has been done before. A lot of respondees to this thread will claim innovation is important..... it's exceedingly rare. When fingertapping (hate it) became popular in the 80's, every single wannabe famous guitarist started fingertapping out execrable dreck. The journos went mad. Ditto the public. However, fingertapping wasn't new, it'd been around for 20 years before that. It was just the latest manufactured craze. To show how brilliant guitarist were. Why ? To sell records. 

Ditto "heavy metal guitarists", which I hate with a passion. Any fool can play fast. You just move your fingers faster. But. What're you playing there, hairy boy ? Oh, it's just some junk arpeggio, you don't actually know how to play, do you ? But do carry on, spandex trousers are indeed a substitute for being able to play.

So, if you're looking for a black and white answer here, it probably doesn't exist. From a perspective of innovation, it's very difficult - to the point of near impossibility - to come up with something *new*. It's nearly all been done before. If you want to really do something unusual, ie free jazz, your listening market will decline to nothing as everyone finds less headache inducing music. If you think it's all about a technical approach, whoops, you may be able to play the most complicated chords and arpeggios known to man, the only people who'll appreciate them are a few sad old musos out there - everyone else just hears noise. 

I think we'd all agree (I hope we do) that the conveyance of emotion is massively important, but if you don't have the basic skills to do so, whoopsy there, too.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 08:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Simple question. Simple Answer. Both.
^this
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 09:09
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Robert Fripp is full of technical wizardry but even he admits that he has great difficulty matching his solos to his feelings--tat they lack resonance with his heart. I remember an interview with him from the early eighties in which he cited John McLaughlin as being his prime example of a guitar player who expresses himself and his heart with each and every solo--whereas he felt that he was almost never capable of achieving such. (Though I do remember seeing him soloing on "Sheltering Sky" on the Beat  tour when he got so emotional with a particular solo run that he almost got up off of his stool! Everybody in the crowd roared cuz we knew how close Sir Robert came to actually "letting go"--and how seldom he actually did so.)
This is a great post BF because it touches on one of the intangibles in our  field. The relationship of the heart and emotions with the creation of music and how important that may be to some artists.

When I first got into studio recording as an assistant engineer, I had the chance to have lunch with a record exec who had spent the entire last afternoon with David Gilmour. I was absolutely stunned and immidiately asked what Gilmour was like.
His relationship with Gilmour was strickly business so it's not like your going to see all sides of the man. But he said something that stuck with me for years; "Thank God Gilmour has that guitar to express his emotions otherwise he would never be able to express himself." That was my first realization of the connection between the heart, the inner person and his instrument, and it stuck with me for years.

It's interesting but sad that Fripp was so close to "letting go" that night and perhaps could not do what others did with their instrument: Express their feelings.

Edited by SteveG - September 19 2014 at 09:28
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 10:03

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Robert Fripp is full of technical wizardry but even he admits that he has great difficulty matching his solos to his feelings--tat they lack resonance with his heart. I remember an interview with him from the early eighties in which he cited John McLaughlin as being his prime example of a guitar player who expresses himself and his heart with each and every solo--whereas he felt that he was almost never capable of achieving such. (Though I do remember seeing him soloing on "Sheltering Sky" on the Beat  tour when he got so emotional with a particular solo run that he almost got up off of his stool! Everybody in the crowd roared cuz we knew how close Sir Robert came to actually "letting go"--and how seldom he actually did so.)
This is a great post BF because it touches on one of the intangibles in our  field. The relationship of the heart and emotions with the creation of music and how important that may be to some artists.

When I first got into studio recording as an assistant engineer, I had the chance to have lunch with a record exec who had spent the entire last afternoon with David Gilmour. I was absolutely stunned and immidiately asked what Gilmour was like.
His relationship with Gilmour was strickly business so it's not like your going to see all sides of the man. But he said something that stuck with me for years; "Thank God Gilmour has that guitar to express his emotions otherwise he would never be able to express himself." That was my first realization of the connection between the heart, the inner person and his instrument, and it stuck with me for years.

It's interesting but sad that Fripp was so close to "letting go" that night and perhaps could not do what others did with their instrument: Express their feelings.

That is why it is so hard to know when they are really "feeling it.." as they play on stage. I have to think Fripp is feeling it and playing with some emotion as he sits on that stool. He may not be showing his feelings on his face and with body movements, but I would think internally he feels it.

Classical musicians have both, much more technicality, but if you watch them play as they are sitting in that chair...you can sense the emotion...That is where I make one connection between progressive rock and classical music, tremendous amount of emotion and feelings but without the physical showings of it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 10:10
^Good point Catch but classical musicians can't get up and boogie either. Cool idea though.

Edited by SteveG - September 19 2014 at 10:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 10:19

^Good point Catch but classical musicians can't get up and boogie either. Cool idea though.

These "classical musicians" did boogie a lot on this tour! LOL

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 04:00
What matters is the artistic genius' natural talent for translating intellectual ideas into artistic expression by systematizing the free imagination's products into a coherent systematized artistic expression, in a way that appears natural by appealing to the shared human faculties of rational understanding and sensory space/time experience.

Hence, the genial artwork will in turn stimulate transcendental reason's capacity to triumph over the physical forces of the universe by uncovering the deeper existential truths into the noumenal world's causal effect behind the sensory world of appearances.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Ditto "heavy metal guitarists", which I hate with a passion. Any fool can play fast. You just move your fingers faster. But. What're you playing there, hairy boy ? Oh, it's just some junk arpeggio, you don't actually know how to play, do you ? But do carry on, spandex trousers are indeed a substitute for being able to play.

Not all heavy metal guitarists are about speed and not even all the well known ones.  Marty Friedman's solo on Tornado of Souls is very playful and has loads of flavour.  It is still played pretty fast but that's because the music is so driving and intense.  He has played some other great solos on the Megadeth albums that he was a part of.  And what about Adrian Smith's solo on Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg?  It may be a bit cliched but it's certainly not devoid of emotion.  
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 20:02
I'm pretty sure Guthrie Govan can play anything. He can be flashy and technical, but he can also deliver something like this.

So yeah, a bit of both.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 20:22
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

What matters is the artistic genius' natural talent for translating intellectual ideas into artistic expression by systematizing the free imagination's products into a coherent systematized artistic expression, in a way that appears natural by appealing to the shared human faculties of rational understanding and sensory space/time experience.

Hence, the genial artwork will in turn stimulate transcendental reason's capacity to triumph over the physical forces of the universe by uncovering the deeper existential truths into the noumenal world's causal effect behind the sensory world of appearances.

In other words, "it's good if It speaks to my soul, man." Cool
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 20:49
I'm not primarily (-I didn't say exclusively-) interested in expressing emotions on guitar and am not really interested in any guitarists for their emotions any more than I am in knowing my favorite sci-fi author's emotions. I am mainly interested in work that takes one outside of oneself. Work that maybe contains emotions, but embedded within some invented world. For me, I prefer the musical equivalent of Impressionism over Expressionism. I think 'intangibles' might be a more broadly applicable term than 'emotion'.

I must agree with those who have emphasized how technical ability opens the door to intangibles. Ability to play fast can be (I didn't say must be) quite essential to expressing oneself. Expressing oneself or exploring intangibles is in the end about making decisions on the fly, and cultivating the ability to think faster can be of great assistance. Even a slow passage sounds better once a guitarist is warmed up.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 06:15
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

In other words, "it's good if It speaks to my soul, man." Cool

More that it's good if it speaks to humanity's collective astral soul and opens up its ascension towards the galactic λόγος.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 21 2014 at 06:16
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2014 at 08:40
So if it speaks to my buddy's soul too and we begin to see aliens without smoking nothing. Far out, man, far out.
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 07:24
Like most of the responders here, I assume, I'm siding with individuality.   There are a thousand guitarists with mad skills.  Steve Vai is my favorite guitarist because what he does is unique.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 14:00
Maybe it's that not just music but any kind of art needs some kind of individual genius' vision guiding it to be really interesting and innovative in content, but this imagination has to be disciplined by a certain degree of technical skill to be systematically composed into a well thought out structure to be appreciated by the audience? Depending of in nature depending on the specific cultural audience the artist has in mind.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 23:43
Me, I just listen and say “Him play good.”
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 00:42
Nothing pisses my off more than the "technical ability=masturbation" argument. The argument is analogous to saying your favorite doctors are general practitioners and surgeons are medical masturbators. It is paradoxically self indulgent to accuse an artist/performer of having no feeling because you don't feel it. That all things mean the same thing to all people is rife with an absurd level of arrogance. Nobody but the artist is privy to his/her motivation. Prog/fans community in  particular should be cautious of this attitude considering that opinion is one of the basic tenets of the general disregard for the genre.

Edited by Tapfret - September 30 2014 at 00:44
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:03
Hi,

Generally, and I say this ... in general ... I would suggest that the technical side of things becomes more visible as many musicians get older. However, they also get lazier more often than not, and excuse their work as better, when in essence it is/becomes simple.

All in all, this is an "outside looking in" argument, and it really fails the test of "intuition" and "individuality", specially when that individuality is laced with culture from the particular area the person is from!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
pitfall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 17:43
Originality is often lacking these days, and originality is not dependent on technique.
What is needed is to tap into one's unique personality, and in this time of wall to wall information access, it is very hard to hear that inner voice.
There is chemistry inside the individual and between individuals, and that is where creativity is to be found.
Creativity is magic, and magic is outside of method.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 20:00

^I absolutely agree with both you and Gerinski. You must have the "chops" before you can cut your own path. Great posts.

I second that. Prog, along with quality jazz and classical, is apex music. Lack of technical skills would limit the musician's ability to express complex thoughts. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>