FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTechical nous or individualism whats better

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 21:59
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Nothing pisses my off more than the "technical ability=masturbation" argument. The argument is analogous to saying your favorite doctors are general practitioners and surgeons are medical masturbators. It is paradoxically self indulgent to accuse an artist/performer of having no feeling because you don't feel it. That all things mean the same thing to all people is rife with an absurd level of arrogance. Nobody but the artist is privy to his/her motivation. Prog/fans community in  particular should be cautious of this attitude considering that opinion is one of the basic tenets of the general disregard for the genre.

Indeed, and further this is the kind of viewpoint that would resonate more with punk.  So it's very strange that a lot of prog rock listeners seem to take this position. It would only seem to suggest they underestimate the importance of technical skills, as if these were something you could readily buy off the shelf in a supermarket.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 22:53
I can't think of any example of guitar playing that is emotive but I'm a robot
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 02:27
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ I agree but I  think that Barre, as well as others, are talking about the need for a personal style mixed with technical expertise.

Absolutely. You can not play a great solo, no matter how much you practice, if you don't have technique first, and practice will also enhance your technique. That being said, Personal style is necessary as long as your talent is there, to set you apart from others, otherwise, you'll just play and sound good (maybe), but won't stamp your name in music history.

That makes sense, but more than once I witnessed free jams where a complete beginner would choose an instrument, and find a way to play it. Provided he was not too busy and the other musicians could actually listen and play, it felt more than once like doors were opening to something new + very exciting...
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 22:47
Shouldn't it be more important for a band to function as a whole?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123