Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (107)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [33.33%]
3 [33.33%]
1 [11.11%]
2 [22.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (107)
    Posted: September 18 2014 at 21:40
David Byrne : The Catherine Wheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeFz1hjrNpM

The Collectors : St
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klsaWM8rAao

Semprun & Christodoulides : Metamorphoses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB2WQvgmit0

Robert Wood : Vibrarock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVQPtksl-Mg
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 21:50

Hidden in plain sight in the midst of his prodigious creative output, there is an unfairly overlooked gem in David Byrne’s discography that I feel is an absolutely monumental masterpiece of late 20th century music, one right up there with Talking Heads’ Remain in Light and his seminal collaboration with Brian Eno, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. I refer to the seamless funk opera score Byrne created for choreographer, Twyla Tharp in 1981, The Catherine Wheel. Unless you were a big Talking Heads or are David Byrne completest, chances are this one might have passed you by.

The Catherine Wheel is, to my mind, the third spoke (see what I did there) of a deeply psychedelic African-influenced polyrhythmic trilogy along with the above-mentionedRemain in Light and My Life in the Bush of Ghosts—all three were easily in my top ten “tripping soundtracks” as an acid-gobbling teenager and all three would still be on my Desert Island Discs list as a middle-aged rock snob. If you’re a fan of the two better-known albums, but have not heard The Catherine Wheel, well, you’ll be in for a profound treat, but especially if you drop some acid beforehand (I’d encourage it, no really!).

Musicians heard on the album include Jerry Harrison, the powerful drummer Yogi Horton, percussionist John Chernoff, Adrian Belew, P-Funk’s resident Minimoog genius Bernie Worrell and Brian Eno. It’s mind-blowing to me that there’s not a deluxe 2-CD set of the album that would include the 12” mixes and live Talking Heads performances of songs from the score, but I feel like this incredible piece of music has always gotten short shrift from whatever major label currently owns it. (The Catherine Wheel is one of the greatest “f**k albums” of all time, too. That’s how they should market it, if you ask me. I toyed with the obnoxious linkbait title of “David Byrne, of all people, recorded the ultimate f**k album” but thought better of it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4CYbKs5vQ

friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 01:50
The Collectors debut is brilliant
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 02:02
I agree. Thumbs Up A hidden gem of canada !
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 09:04
I know the first two but not the last two. Voted for da Byrne.
Magma America Great Make Again
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 09:09
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

The Collectors debut is brilliant

Ditto.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 09:33
Thanks guys. Thumbs Up Darryl, I love that Byrne and I adore the Talking Heads too. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 12:20
The Collectors
The Collectors Proto-Prog

Review by friso 
Prog Reviewer

5 stars The Collectors - st (1968) * review #300 celebration! *

The Collectors came as a surprise for me, the record was given to me and it was said to be 'very good'. Now, there are many good very good records from '68, but there aren't many that can really be called progressive. This remarkable album has a full-blown progressive vision with many inventive ideas and breakthroughs. Of course, Zappa had already done crazy stuff, The United States of America would release there perhaps even better debut, The Doors had done some ground-braking work in '67 and King Crimson was almost ready to go in the studio, but still I find this album a very rewarding achievement for it's year of release.

So, what's so special about this record from Canadian soil?

It has superb song-writing with intelligent use of unusual chord progressions, it has an adventurious (as in the better sympho-prog) sound and it has an epic with of 19 minutes which shows the boundaries of what is possible (at the time). All this sounds very seventies-like, but the sound is clearly that from a sixties beat-band/psychedelic-band on fire. Perhaps a bit like the Beatles, some Doors, yet different. The vocals are amazing. Lead vocalist Howie Vickie has this huge voice, at times reminding me of Jim Morrison in his use. The back-up vocals are brilliant and harmonically challenging. For those who liked the Beach Boys, this is even better.

1. What Is love (3:45) The opening track is a peaceful introduction of what's to come. Some important elements of the epic on side two (with almost the same title) are played. Still this short track has a sympathetic nature.

2. She (Will Of The Wisp) (3:45) This is were the progginess begins. This is a very adventerious song with an up-tempo sound. The melodies are inventive and the vocals are amazing. The heavy acoustic guitars sound great and the rhythmical developments are refreshing and psychedelic.

3. Howard Christian's Older (5:10) This song has a folk-approach with a nice acoustic intro. The vocals tell a story about a very special boy with mysterious powers. The song develops in a rock-song with fierce vocals and a mystical sound. The melodies of the vocals are brilliant, unexpected notes over already special chords. Actually, this song is quite psychedelic and the ending is strange.

4. Lydia Purple (2:45) This song also has a folky intro (with a flute) and playful guitar/vocals theme. Extremely catchy, very nice psychedelics from the sixties. The second voice is magical on the second couplet. In the middle of the song there are some more folky moments with a string-section and some flutes. The third couplet also has a third voice which is utterly brilliant.

5. One Act Play (3:40) Perhaps my favorite. This graveyard type ballad with it's dark and serious mood is just amazing. The composition is among the best of every song written in the sixties. The many chord-progressions that all have an impact combined with these spooky vocals are very effective. So, ever wanted to listen to doom-psychedelics from the sixties?

6. What Love (19:15) One of the few full-blown epics of '68. More daring than Procol Harum's In Held was I, The Collectors explore a lot of moods and atmospheres. The opening section introduces the question 'What is this Love?'. No emphasis on romanticism, but an almost desperate question. After this the song develops into a church-like pastoral moment with nice combined vocal efforts. Later in the song moments of serious aggression, psychedelics and avant-garde are apparent. Though it's a strong epic, the ending section could have been a bit more substantial. A conclusive (and perhaps melodic) ending-section could have made it even better.

Conclusion. I love these early albums that are so expressive and ground-braking. This is an album that should have been far more influential then it was. This is a record that should have a place in all our collections, it's not just a collector's item. The song-writing is monumental and bombastic and the epic on side two is indeed very brave with it's moments of extreme aggression. Four and a halve stars would be appropriate, but since Sean Trane also came to this conclusion and gave four, I'll compensate by giving five stars. Ah, what the heck - this is a masterpiece! Recommended to every-one in

cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:16
OMG!   The catherine wheel is a freakin masterpiece.  IMHO, best thing david byrne ever did.  and the personnel/line up on that album is incredible.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:21
I Agree Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 06:03

Francisco Semprun / Michel Christodoulides ‎– Métamorphoses

Label:
Unidisc (2) ‎– UD 30 1243
Format:
Vinyl, LP 
Released:
Genre:
Style:

Tracklist

A1Puits Sans Fin2:28
A2Voûtes2:35
A3Givre2:40
A4Citron Vert2:26
A5Les Miroirs Mentent2:34
A6Corridors2:38
B1Plaines3:20
B2Amazonie2:25
B3Dialogue2:26
B4Ebullition2:25
B5Palud2:40
B6Bric A Brac1:36

Credits

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 15:24

Robert Wood, electric vibes, Mike Howlett, electric bass, Pierre Moerlen, drums. Recorded live in December 1974, Salle Wagram, Paris, France, during the Vibrarock/Gong tour.

Soon to be reissued on CD. 
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 16:48
I went with The Collectors, never heard any of these previous though. The big surprise was seeing Bill Henderson in The Collectors as he was the leader of Chilliwak, a band I enjoyed in the late seventies, early eighties.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 17:01
Thumbs Up Thanks John. Great album that needs to be rediscovered. A collector. 

Post Reply Post Reply