Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDigipak vs jewel case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Which and why do you prefer of these two below?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [32.65%]
33 [67.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digipak vs jewel case
    Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:08
I am a bit confused and not sure if it was only by coincidence that most people who I have discussed this topic with seem to prefer jewel cases more compared to digipak. Among uncommon belief digipak's to produce are actually much more expensive due to the artwork and customization involved in printing, a jewel case the booklet is the cover that's it and the plastic cases are universal etc, besides providing a back cover, that's it. Meanwhile a digipack is customized, one could compare it with vinyl/LP gatefold, besides the booklet and cd disk it has 4 additional printing areas/sides to add artwork.
My fellow members, which do you prefer and why? hugs xxx
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:21
I've always enjoyed the classic jewel case, but if given the choice between the two, I'd take digipak! Smile
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:24
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I've always enjoyed the classic jewel case, but if given the choice between the two, I'd take digipak! Smile

ditto!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:34
Well strictly to look at the digipacks are much nicer. Having to live with them in your collection is another thing entirely. I rather prefer the jewel casings, because they offer up protection and stack up nicely against each other. Digipacks have a tendency to break and they are impossible to store without messing up the corners + plus without the help of the albums one got in jewel casings, they wouldn't be able to stand on the shelf properly.
Like I said, the digipacks are surely the best piece of eye candy, but if that's your thing then why not opt for the vinyl optionBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:35
Jewelcase for me, Sonia! Some digipacks look pretty nice, but if it arrives and the pegs are broken (and this has happened many times!), you can't replace them!

If a jewelcase breaks, pretty easy to buy replacements cheaply and quickly! I also think they look more....substantial on the shelf with a bunch of them together!

Have to say, I'm really coming around to the newer Mini LP's now! Heaps of the Italian releases look really lovely on that format.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:36
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

ditto!

High-fives and hugs all around! Thumbs Up

So many digipaks on my shelf right below my desk LOL.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Like I said, the digipacks are surely the best piece of eye candy, but if that's your thing then why not opt for the vinyl optionBig smile

hahahaha!!! love that last comment Good question that is, vinyl is huge although I too love them, however vinyl good quality is around or less than 15 min per side some albums are bigger than this also an original cd is more useful to use or copy for multiple use to listen in the car, big home speakers, pc etc :) hahaha but yes dang in terms of artwork vinyl is gnack gnack gnack
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:47
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Jewelcase for me, Sonia! Some digipacks look pretty nice, but if it arrives and the pegs are broken (and this has happened many times!), you can't replace them!

If a jewelcase breaks, pretty easy to buy replacements cheaply and quickly! I also think they look more....substantial on the shelf with a bunch of them together!

Have to say, I'm really coming around to the newer Mini LP's -now! Heaps of the Italian releases look really lovely on that format.

Hi Aussie-Bird Brother :) I have had the opposite experience in terms of damage, sometimes I get cracked/damaged cd jewel case covers delivered by mail, never had this problem with digipaks :) hugs xxxx
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:54

hahahaha!!! love that last comment Good question that is, vinyl is huge although I too love them, however vinyl good quality is around or less than 15 min per side some albums are bigger than this also an original cd is more useful to use or copy for multiple use to listen in the car, big home speakers, pc etc :) hahaha but yes dang in terms of artwork vinyl is gnack gnack gnack

I've been thinking about buying a new turntable actually - mostly because I miss not being able to digitalize my vinyls. For that I have to go see my friend who lives at the other end of the country. Cds are of course great in that respect........BUT and that's a big derrière, once you've sat with this cover art in full LP size
it's hard going back to the teeny tiny cd

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 19 2014 at 05:55
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:55
I really, REALLY want a turntable Big smile.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:56

Have to say, I'm really coming around to the newer Mini LP's -now! Heaps of the Italian releases look really lovely on that format.

Hi Aussie-Bird Brother :) I have had the opposite experience in terms of damage, sometimes I get cracked/damaged cd jewel case covers delivered by mail, never had this problem with digipaks :) hugs xxxx

Oh yes, that has ALSO happened to me plenty of times!

Sometimes you can get suppliers to send the CD's without any jewelcases, and you just add them to your own empty ones at home! That's a nice way to save on shipping costs, if you can spare cases lying around. I seem to have stacks of them!

Many years ago, I ordered the limited edition 2 CD digibook of the Flower Kings `Unfold the Future', and was shocked to open the package to find that Customs had stuck a knife into it to open it for their random checks. That knife went straight through the back of the digibook case, cutting into the physical CD, ruining it! They then taped the package up again and slapped a big sticker on the front that said `Customs cannot be responsible for damage to items during inspections' etc!

I guess damaged digipacks and jewelcases aren't so bad after all! Minor complaints!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 05:59
Arhh that's just meanOuch 
I bet that sticker has saved a lot of air inspector arse...

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:04

Oh yes, that has ALSO happened to me plenty of times!

Sometimes you can get suppliers to send the CD's without any jewelcases, and you just add them to your own empty ones at home! That's a nice way to save on shipping costs, if you can spare cases lying around. I seem to have stacks of them!

Many years ago, I ordered the limited edition 2 CD digibook of the Flower Kings `Unfold the Future', and was shocked to open the package to find that Customs had stuck a knife into it to open it for their random checks. That knife went straight through the back of the digibook case, cutting into the physical CD, ruining it! They then taped the package up again and slapped a big sticker on the front that said `Customs cannot be responsible for damage to items during inspections' etc!

I guess damaged digipacks and jewelcases aren't so bad after all! Minor complaints!

Yes, yes, and YES to getting damaged discs in the mail/sacrificing integrity upon opening LOL.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:04

Amen, brutha!

Also, he could have just been someone that REALLY hated retro styled prog!

"You call that progressive?!' - SLICE!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:06
Digipak are nice when they're new. I'm looking at my Pink Floyd 2011 remasters and they are not in great condition now Ermm
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:08
Digipacks, easily. I've never had problems of durability with them, and you can get more on the shelves, plus they look better. The number of times I've had jewel cases turn up just plane broken.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:09

Amen, brutha!

LOL
Could've been Walter with all his 'post 89 music is rubbish'.
Anyway if you have to slice any prog album, then it's probably fair it winds up being the Flower Kings *yikes*WinkTongue

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:17

Amen, brutha!

LOL
Could've been Walter with all his 'post 89 music is rubbish'.
Anyway if you have to slice any prog album, then it's probably fair it winds up being the Flower Kings *yikes*WinkTongue

Dave, your `anti-Flower Kings/pro slicing' agenda has been quite clear for some time!

Actually, I'll take your Flower Kings and raise you an Edison's Children!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:21
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Digipak are nice when they're new. I'm looking at my Pink Floyd 2011 remasters and they are not in great condition now Ermm

Both my Animals cd and The Wall dvd are digipacks and to date they look brand new, Meltdowner :) hugsxxx
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 06:24
I love the Flower Kings, the very first album, the flower king is my favorite :) xxx Also I love Pain of Salvation, Undertow and Ending Themes among others are my fav tracks, I love Kaipa too and Beardfish plus like Gungfly ermmm I think I am fond of Swedish/Svenska band

Edited by Kati - September 19 2014 at 06:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>