Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDigipak vs jewel case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which and why do you prefer of these two below?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [32.65%]
33 [67.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:09
hahahahaha!!!! hahahaha!!!! hahaha!!!!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:11
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Guldbamsen is that you too in that profile pic the new one? You are a dark horse ha! xxx If so I want to see more lololol

Yes. I am purposely messin with yaTongue
Also with the newest one, I wanted to reflect the ease in which I mingle with people on toilets.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Guldbamsen is that you too in that profile pic the new one? You are a dark horse ha! xxx If so I want to see more lololol

Yes. I am purposely messin with yaTongue
Also with the newest one, I wanted to reflect the ease in which I mingle with people on toilets.

I saw that and you killed me, I lost all my strength but laughing, so funny at the perfect time as you could see by my reaction above hahahaha!! So funny I was not expecting a quick profile pic change and certainly not one like that hahahaha!!! But it's a very happy one I must add lolol so funny!

Edited by Kati - September 19 2014 at 07:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:21
It's been fun Sonia, but maybe we ought to get back to your threadTongue

I would love it if we could get cds in vinyl size - or maybe just a normal cd and then a big shell. Either way, it should then preferably be wrapped in all kinds of plastic and thus be saved from the terrors of men and their destructive powers. Sorta like jewel casings meet vinyl. Oh yeah...then I'd be a happy bunny!

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:25

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Digipak are nice when they're new. I'm looking at my Pink Floyd 2011 remasters and they are not in great condition now Ermm

Both my Animals cd and The Wall dvd are digipacks and to date they look brand new, Meltdowner :) hugsxxx
They are difficult to store but not impossible, and I admit that my CD's are not stored in the best way but I haven't come up with a better alternative. I take much more care of my vinyls though WinkI remembered why my Pink Floyd CD's are not in great condition: I had to bring them with me to listen on the bus when my MP3 player stopped working.

Meltdower, hahaha you see!!! Oh and the remastered version of Animals is most excellent really :) usually most remastered albums lose or lack something, Animals does not this album is most brilliant really :) hugs xxxx

I played so much my remastered version of Animals that I'll not listen to it again so soon LOL
I really like the remastered version of Atom Heart Mother. I think the drums and bass guitar are too loud compared to the other instruments on the original, but they corrected it on the remaster.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:31

I would love it if we could get cds in vinyl size - or maybe just a normal cd and then a big shell. Either way, it should then preferably be wrapped in all kinds of plastic and thus be saved from the terrors of men and their destructive powers. Sorta like jewel casings meet vinyl. Oh yeah...then I'd be a happy bunny!

Like this one?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PzNqvAO3puc/S4T2PTCqxrI/AAAAAAAARDE/4eD35qNj-bQ/s1600-h/AbelCid.JPG
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:31
Both packages could be improved considerably. We could also improve how we store them, especially given that the simple act of extracting either jewel case or Digipak from a CD storage rack/tower damages them (Digipak more so, but the jewel case still gets scratched). Both look dull and tired in a very short space of time - when new a mint jewel case as a nice oil-on-water rainbow type reflection completely devoid of surface scratches - that disappears in no time and frankly, isn't good enough.

Because Jewel cases can be taken to pieces they can easily be repaired, but they break too easily and in any other product that would be wholly unacceptable. We tolerate it because the industry hasn't bothered to produce a better solution. We really shouldn't have to put up with brand new CDs being delivered with broken centre-splines and busted hinges. And whoever invented the double-pack needs a firm kick up the arse.

Digipaks are not a better solution and vary considerably in quality, those that are not coated get dog-eared very quickly and those that are soon lose their "mint" appearance. They also (can't think of the right word here...) skew when stood on end such that you can't stand an old Digipak on end without it falling over. I know that isn't a major requirement of a CD package and we don't pass the time by standing CDs on edge, but it's irritating when you remove one CD from the rack and the one next to it falls over. At least the double Digipak is an improvement on the double jewel case, so we can be thankful for that I guess.

So what else have we?

The mini-LP format - is crap, the spine is unreadable when stored and they dog-ear just as badly as a Digipak and without a protective sheath/sleeve for the disc they scratch the disc surface and that's just dumb.

The book format, this is like the double Digipak but has "pockets" to slide the disc into - is also crap. Anything where you have to slide the disc surface across card surface is just stupid product design. I've even had one where the pocket has delaminated leaving the CD glued between the two sheets of card that once formed the pocket, and that's dumb.

Non-standard size/shape: This annoys me more than anything else because they don't fit in a standard CD tower and I have to make a special tall shelf for them to stand on - it doesn't take long for me to really dislike the arrogance of a package that demands its own special shelf. 

The case for the prosecution would like to present, Exhibit "A"

Analog CD cover 
Yup... that's a mild-steel plate with a scrap PCB bolted to it, there is no protection for the CD at all.

And this is how nicely it fits into my CD tower:

(yeah, there is no logic to my filing system either)

Edited by Dean - September 19 2014 at 07:42
What?
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Both packages could be improved considerably. We could also improve how we store them, especially given that the simple act of extracting either jewel case or Digipak from a CD storage rack/tower damages them (Digipak more so, but the jewel case still gets scratched). Both look dull and tired in a very short space of time - when new a mint jewel case as a nice oil-on-water rainbow type reflection completely devoid of surface scratches - that disappears in no time and frankly, isn't good enough.

Because Jewel cases can be taken to pieces they can easily be repaired, but they break too easily and in any other product that would be wholly unacceptable. We tolerate it because the industry hasn't bothered to produce a better solution. We really shouldn't have to put up with brand new CDs being delivered with broken centre-splines and busted hinges. And whoever invented the double-pack needs a firm kick up the arse.

Digipaks are not a better solution and vary considerably in quality, those that are not coated get dog-eared very quickly and those that are soon lose their "mint" appearance. They also (can't think of the right word here...) skew when stood on end such that you can't stand an old Digipak on end without it falling over. I know that isn't a major requirement of a CD package and we don't pass the time by standing CDs on edge, but it's irritating when you remove one CD from the rack and the one next to it falls over. At least the double Digipak is an improvement on the double jewel case, so we can be thankful for that I guess.

So what else have we?

The mini-LP format - is crap, the spine is unreadable when stored and they dog-ear just as badly as a Digipak and without a protective sheath/sleeve for the disc they scratch the disc surface and that's just dumb.

The book format, this is like the double Digipak but has "pockets" to slide the disc into - is also crap. Anything where you have to slide the disc surface across card surface is just stupid product design. I've even had one where the pocket has delaminated leaving the CD glued between the two sheets of card that once formed the pocket, and that's dumb.

Non-standard size/shape: This annoys me more than anything else because they don't fit in a standard CD tower and I have to make a special tall shelf for them to stand on - it doesn't take long for me to really dislike the arrogance of a package that demands its own special shelf. 

The case for the prosecution would like to present, Exhibit "A"

Analog CD cover 
Yup... that's a mild-steel plate with a scrap PCB bolted to it, there is no protection for the CD at all.

And this is how nicely it fits into my CD tower:

(yeah, there is no logic to my filing system either)

My storage looks very similar, TBH. +1 for the PCB LOL.

Nothing, I repeat NOTHING, is more aggravating to me than opening a brand new jewel case and finding a broken center spline/plastic bits floating around inside. It's happened more times than I care to count, both from the store and in the mail.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 08:26
All of my digipacks are fine, I just shove 'em on the shelf and leave 'em be. I do agree that the oversized and/or oddly shaped packaging is annoying, Tool's 10 000 Days being a particularly bad offender.

I must admit though, I do like Fen's solution for their upcoming double CD version of their new album, a wooden box. We'll see how it works out in practice.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:34
To be honest, I really do not care as long as I can get at the disk easily. All formats have their problems. The plastic in jewel cases is brittle and easily break. Yes, pieces can be replaced, but that is also a problem. Digipaks are too thin and the bindings are often difficult for my aging eyes to read, and I hate it when they come in the aforementioned book-form, even though vinyl is the same way. Still, they might be the better option. And isn't there something endearing about a dog-eared and well-loved volume, like an old friend of a book, on the shelf for your favorite music? As long as the music inside is well preserved.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:38
I find jewel cases break to easy. You should have included the third option - mini LP.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:43
Just noticed your filing system DeanLOL
Looks like mine.
Cool to see Can and Cradle Of Filth together. Just a casual look at my cd stack reveals Wu Tang Clan and Janis Joplin mingling with each other.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:48

Like this one?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PzNqvAO3puc/S4T2PTCqxrI/AAAAAAAARDE/4eD35qNj-bQ/s1600-h/AbelCid.JPG

Oh yes, that's pretty cool. Anyway, if I go for something vinyl sized, I may as well go for the LPGeek
Brilliant album btw. Love Jose Cid's prog albums. If you dig that one, then you should definitely check out:

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 19 2014 at 11:49

- Douglas Adams
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 11:54
Crimson 30th anniversary edition (thick mini-lp) :

Standard mini-lp/Jewel case :

Digi-pak :
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 12:02
Digipak. It just looks nice when you unfold it and see more content at once. And in some cases I have to struggle to get the liner notes out of the jewel case.
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Digipacks, easily. I've never had problems of durability with them, and you can get more on the shelves, plus they look better. The number of times I've had jewel cases turn up just plane broken.
Yes, what he said.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 19 2014 at 12:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 12:25

Like this one?

Oh yes, that's pretty cool. Anyway, if I go for something vinyl sized, I may as well go for the LPGeek
Brilliant album btw. Love Jose Cid's prog albums. If you dig that one, then you should definitely check out:

But this CD version is 10 times cheaper than the LP Tongue
I have these albums and I saw him play both earlier this year Smile
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:15
I just sold a bunch of CD's back.  It was very difficult for me to do, but CD value has dropped so much I figured I should do it now before they lose all value.   But, I'll be DAMNED if I sell my vinyl... never never never.... but now... what the hell do i do with my cassettes... ugh.... damned music industry.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 13:44
I've found jewel cases far too easy to break. I've frayed the edges of digipaks a bit, but I've never broken one per se.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 15:02
if there was a "both" option i would've voted for that, but idk which one i should go with. guess it'll have to be digipak for this one.
Progrockdude
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 15:12
Both are junk but they are a lot easier than storing 1/4 and 1/2 inch tapes. Whoops, I just felt 35 years older. Rats!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>