Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDigipak vs jewel case

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Which and why do you prefer of these two below?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
16 [32.65%]
33 [67.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 15:41
Jewel cases for sure. Better in nearly every way (aside from an artistic perspective) IMO.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 16:10
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I really, REALLY want a turntable Big smile.

You do, you really do!

What's the budget??
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 16:15
I prefer the one with readable sleeve notes for a 60+ man who needs glasses but is too stubborn to wear them and a 12'' slab of vinyl in the middle.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 23:50
I have so many jewel cases that broke during shipping that there is no way I can't vote digipack
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Both are junk but they are a lot easier than storing 1/4 and 1/2 inch tapes. Whoops, I just felt 35 years older. Rats!

8-Tracks are pretty convenient but finding a working player for them isn't.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:33
Digipak; much less likely to form cracks.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 00:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

It's been fun Sonia, but maybe we ought to get back to your threadTongue

I would love it if we could get cds in vinyl size - or maybe just a normal cd and then a big shell. Either way, it should then preferably be wrapped in all kinds of plastic and thus be saved from the terrors of men and their destructive powers. Sorta like jewel casings meet vinyl. Oh yeah...then I'd be a happy bunny!

Man, I was just thinking this idea (normal CD, LP size package) would have been a wonderful packaging method.  Anyone up for a little time travel back to the 80s to get this accomplished?

edit: that José Cid example looks perfect!!

Edited by infocat - September 20 2014 at 00:46
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
unclemeat69 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 04:46
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Jewelcase for me, Sonia! Some digipacks look pretty nice, but if it arrives and the pegs are broken (and this has happened many times!), you can't replace them!

If a jewelcase breaks, pretty easy to buy replacements cheaply and quickly! I also think they look more....substantial on the shelf with a bunch of them together!
This exactly although I haven't really had a digipack with broken pegs, a tear in the cardboard? Yeah.
Follow your bliss
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 11:37
^ I have yet to tear the cardboard of one and rarely got one in the mail with broken pegs. Big smile

One other needed, deluxe mini-book

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Jewel cases for sure. Better in nearly every way (aside from an artistic perspective) IMO.

You don't have any John Zorn albums from his Tzadik 

label...

The do some releases in "jewel" but some are very creatively done.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 20 2014 at 11:44
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2014 at 13:23
D.P.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 22:04

Digipak.

When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
odinalcatraz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 07:50
I can't think of a single reason to like jewel case. When they came along they looked like a cheap plastic thing. A few weeks later they would become a bit hazy looking and/or cracked and getting the booklet out with no fingernails was almost impossible with damaging it. As the decades have passed, I have noticed that nothing has changed, except they seem to crack even easier than before.
I also have found that a jewel case is, in fact, as I suspected, a cheap plastic thing!
http://www.corvusstone.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 00:44
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

^ I have yet to tear the cardboard of one and rarely got one in the mail with broken pegs. Big smileOne other needed, deluxe mini-book
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

You don't have any John Zorn albums from his Tzadik 

label...

The do some releases in "jewel" but some are very creatively done.

I sadly have plenty. Nice to look at but horrendously impractical.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 02:23

I find jewel cases break to easy. You should have included the third option - mini LP.

Hello Slartibartfast I do not own any mini LP. How much is the music length on one of those?
My question to be fair was more based around the compact disc carrier/holder, but this is a very interesting topic to me too hugs
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:10
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I find jewel cases break to easy. You should have included the third option - mini LP.

Hello Slartibartfast I do not own any mini LP. How much is the music length on one of those?
My question to be fair was more based around the compact disc carrier/holder, but this is a very interesting topic to me too hugs
The mini LP is a CD in a card slip-case that is a miniature replica of a full-size LP cover.
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:28
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The mini LP is a CD in a card slip-case that is a miniature replica of a full-size LP cover.

ha Dean thus it's those cd's which come when one buys an LP, in those horrid transparent plastic envelope kind of things? If so that's a knockoff to the name lolol
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:41

ha Dean thus it's those cd's which come when one buys an LP, in those horrid transparent plastic envelope kind of things? If so that's a knockoff to the name lolol
Oh no, they're much better than that. They are perfect replicas of the full size album but in miniature and are very collectable.

What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 04:46

Oh no, they're much better than that. They are perfect replicas of the full size album but in miniature and are very collectable.
ha! (nincompoop happy stunned face here) I want to see and hold this too, I have none arhhhh never seen any bah hugs xxxx
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 05:21
None is good and it's indeed surprising that after so many years no-one has come with a better design for something so ubiquitous.

If pressed I prefer jewel cases, the disc does not touch any surface and that's for me the most important feature. And all the printed material is protected. Indeed they break by just looking at them and removing and placing back a thick booklet can be a pain. And if you keep some with the center spline broken there's a significant risk that the disc will fall to the ground next time you open the case. But in any case they are easy to replace when they break (you just have to pay attention if the original case had the disc holder transparent with the back cover printed on the inner side, not replace it by a case with black disc holder or you loose the sight of the inner print. Although transparent holder splines seem to break easier than black plastic ones).

Standard size and "opening mechanism" is also an advantage. My storage shelves at home are high enough so it's no problem but for example in the car, different sizes can be a problem, and the CDs are handled and stored less carefully so digipacks can more easily get damaged in the car, and if you want to change the CD while driving, having to deal with different methods to remove the disc from the pack can be annoying.

Although we should note that there are digipacks in which the disc holder is also a plastic piece with a center spline glued to the cardboard, so in these the disc does not touch any surface either so they are better in this respect that those in which the disc surface rests touching paper.

Edited by Gerinski - September 25 2014 at 05:26
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 05:42
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

None is good and it's indeed surprising that after so many years no-one has come with a better design for something so ubiquitous.
If pressed I prefer jewel cases, the disc does not touch any surface and that's for me the most important feature. And all the printed material is protected. Indeed they break by just looking at them and removing and placing back a thick booklet can be a pain. And if you keep some with the center spline broken there's a significant risk that the disc will fall to the ground next time you open the case. But in any case they are easy to replace when they break (you just have to pay attention if the original case had the disc holder transparent with the back cover printed on the inner side, not replace it by a case with black disc holder or you loose the sight of the inner print. Although transparent holder splines seem to break easier than black plastic ones).
Standard size and "opening mechanism" is also an advantage. My storage shelves at home are high enough so it's no problem but for example in the car, different sizes can be a problem, and the CDs are handled and stored less carefully so digipacks can more easily get damaged in the car, and if you want to change the CD while driving, having to deal with different methods to remove the disc from the pack can be annoying.
Although we should note that there are digipacks in which the disc holder is also a plastic piece with a center spline glued to the cardboard, so in these the disc does not touch any surface either so they are better in this respect that those in which the disc surface rests touching paper.

Gerinski, I am still reading your comment above thus I am not finished reading, however I must say that cd discs on a digipack do not come into any contact or touch other surfaces, the cd disc holder part is also made of plastic   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>