FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Role of Computers in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 00:55
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

What is your opinion with regards to the use of computers to create, track, mix and time music? 
Do you feel that there is a loss of artistic integrity when the musicianship is "assisted" by computers?
Do you look down upon artists who create and manipulate their music on the computer screen?
Does a prog artist have to be able to perform his/her music live for you to be able to respect him/her? That is, do you feel disappointed when a live performance has some tracks computer generated instead of all coming from live performing musicians?
Do you think a Mozart and Beethoven or Debussy and Mahler or Coltrane and Hendrix would have gravitated to computerized composition, or computerized recording techiniques? 
A lot of very loaded questions but with the increasing prevalence of computer-enhanced music being generated today, I'm just searching for the insights and opinions of other music lovers with regards to this phenomenon. Obviously computers are here to stay, and computers have allowed a access to publication of one's musical ideas to a far larger segment of the population, but, overall, in your opinion, is this a good thing? Is the quality keeping up with the quantity? Is the conveyance of emotion as impactful as the studio recordings of the 60s and 70s? Is the spirit in music today as alluring and engaging as that of the "classic" period of prog?

Hello BrufordFreak, that's not an easy question to reply but here goes my best attempt :) hugs

Do you feel that there is a loss of artistic integrity when the musicianship is "assisted" by computers?

In general music recording studios always assisted bands/musicians in recording music to their best of their abilities. The system was more complicated and time delayed however it has not changed in this perspective, all was designed to bring and highlight the best from the tapes era to date.

Do you look down upon artists who create and manipulate their music on the computer screen?

I understand where you come from however in this modern day I think the capability of musicians to record their own music brings creative freedom even more so compare to the 60’s or 70’s, these days most if not all music artists who made it in the music industry are pop related, this is also based on individualism, not a band, most of these artist don’t even play or write their own music. Also their music is heavily manipulated by loud bass tunes (not bass guitar), little or no real music instruments. The Fat Cat Suits in the Music Industry decided to sponsor i.e. sexy image instead of quality (also this makes talentless artists much easier to manage) people are sheep and due to MTV etc the youth follow what is on trend, this is dictated to them and they accept it as they do not know better. This is why the internet and methods of recording are very important and beneficial in reference to you topic.   

Does a prog artist have to be able to perform his/her music live for you to be able to respect him/her? That is, do you feel disappointed when a live performance has some tracks computer generated instead of all coming from live performing musicians?

Oh heck yeah, every musicians should be able to perform their songs live, even if they need to acquire 2 more guitarists to perform a song live, however most great recent bands don’t even get this chance because they are ignored. Considering that although we crave for the great old prog moozik days, we do NOT give the new ones a chance to prove themselves, dwelling on the old great ones.
Also no band sounds as good as a studio album which has been produced, pc or not in studio, but for any good band this doesn’t matter at all because for the fans or attendees there is no better euphoric loving experience as listening live, that’s a fantastic feeling way better than any perfect studio mastered album to be honest.

Do you think a Mozart and Beethoven or Debussy and Mahler or Coltrane and Hendrix would have gravitated to computerized composition, or computerized recording techiniques?

I believe all of them would opt for digital version no doubt. Also one can clearly hear and distinguish between i.e. acoustic drums or not among others. To be honest I think vocals benefit most from the digital era compared to instrumentals.

Again,

Edited by Kati - September 23 2014 at 00:57
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 01:02
I most add due to the above music collaborations between artists are made easier. Opposed to being impossible   
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:21
What is your opinion with regards to the use of computers to create, track, mix and time music? 

Computers have no place in music.  It's a downgrade on quality if not for the simple fact that sound is being represented digitally.  Analog is much better and the limitations imposed upon the artist required the artist to play better, spend more time on their instrument which leads to more creative ideas. 

We are not getting better music in the modern age.  Computers are discouraging the youth culture from learning to play instruments.  It's a horrific situation when you see 300K kids bobbing to techno music.  We are at the lowest and darkest time in the history of music. 

Mozart, Mahler and Hendrix probably would have tried out computer music out of ignorance or curiosity.  They would have made worse music doing so

People can't stop from over using pro tools.  People can't stop eating salty greasy potato chips either.  Digital music has been a cancer to music.  The farther we move away from live playing and quality musicians interacting in real time the farther we move away from great music.

Music should be played by people, not computers.

Once you edit with a computer ... it's no longer the artist playing. 

I don't look down on artists using computers.  I understand why they do it.  Mainly they are like sheep who think they also need perfect sterile production values just like all the other sheep who believe the same thing.  Magazines like Progression that rate artists CD's on production values don't help. 

The best stuff was made before drum machines, digital music editing and pro tools.

Prog bands need to get out and play live.  Get back into offering more dynamic and less distortion and compression so the listener can feel and be moved by the music and not have it die on their ears due to over saturation.

Sorry to rain on the party.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:25
I am curious now, are you an artist/musician, Surrealist? If so, how do you record, mix and master your music?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:34
It's an old discussion. Speaking of synths, somebody said that non-natural sound shouldn't be part of music, at least not inclassical music.
Regardless the fact that there are classical compositions for the Theremin, the only natural sounds that I know are rain, thunders, rolling stones, wind between the trees and so on. If you add percussion to the list, it's because you consider "natural" a man who hits a piece of wood with another. This is a device.
If devices built by man are natural, because man is part of nature, every device able to create a sound is natural as well. It can be a violin, a flute, a piano or even a computer thrown to the floor and recorded.

Give a try to artists like "Alio Die" who manipulates natural sounds produced by acoustic instruments and percussion with the electronics. 
Look at the last Battiato video on youtube, it's all electronics, and let us know what you think.

If you mean, instead, house, techno and this kind of dancing stuff, it's music, too, but to me it's not "art".

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:34
I'm just a listener like most.  But of course most everyone here is an artist and musician.  We all are.  But when I do mess around with music, I record on tape reel.. mix to a half track machine.  I agree with Jimmy Page, if you record things correctly the first time.. you don't need EQ.  If the room is correct to record in... ( a completely lost concept) then you don't need reverb either. 

Once you process your music.. it's processed. 

I think ultimately all music would be better non processed. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:37
...so you no longer run an analogue recording studio?
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:38
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...so you no longer run an analogue recording studio?

good question?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:42
I have yet to hear a better rock band than Led Zeppelin.  Their silly Celebration Day is a disaster.  It's so over manipulated that the life has been stripped right out of the 1's and 0's.  Listen to that ... then listen to Song Remains the Same.  Full of mistakes and 1000 times for connecting to the listener.

Their have been no better prog bands in the digital age than 70's YES and GENESIS.  No better obscure prog bands than Gentle Giant, or Henry Cow. 

Pink Floyd's epic was recorded on analog tape machines as was ELP's classic. 

Think about how tight Gong played or Rush on Hemispheres.  It blew people away because it was that good.. even in the analog studio.  With digital, it's just expected now.. a big yawn.  A big roll of the eyes.  Who cares for another perfect album that dies on my ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:44
I still have a studio.. yes.. and it's a good one.  It's a great one.. but to release music on vinyl while everyone is listening to music on hand held digital phone.. well it doesn't make much sense.

So, yes, I still release on vinyl to about 5 people I know.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:47

Here we go again....
A lot of bark and no bite. Let's all make some wild accusations of which we have absolutely no proof of whatsoever. It just sounds 'righteous' to trash computers. The 2001 disease that'll have every musicians out there employing Hal to do 90% of his/her job.
Please go back and read Dean's earlier (bible length) post on this subject.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:50
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

I have yet to hear a better rock band than Led Zeppelin.  Their silly Celebration Day is a disaster.  It's so over manipulated that the life has been stripped right out of the 1's and 0's.  Listen to that ... then listen to Song Remains the Same.  Full of mistakes and 1000 times for connecting to the listener.Their have been no better prog bands in the digital age than 70's YES and GENESIS.  No better obscure prog bands than Gentle Giant, or Henry Cow.  Pink Floyd's epic was recorded on analog tape machines as was ELP's classic.  Think about how tight Gong played or Rush on Hemispheres.  It blew people away because it was that good.. even in the analog studio.  With digital, it's just expected now.. a big yawn.  A big roll of the eyes.  Who cares for another perfect album that dies on my ears.

Surrealist, I have read that mastered albums inc. by the 70's greats are compressed and terrible, no bottom end etc, I believe this however my Animals album by Floyd re-mastered is most brilliant and I strongly believe it is brilliant.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:50
Btw I really really love music where mistakes are allowed - heck even condoned and subsequently used. You must be looking in all the wrong places though, because bands are still doing that. I guess you just have to step of the ol symph train in order to find that.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 23 2014 at 03:51
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:51
We had a band come in last night that I have worked with.  Recorded everything live.  Two ambient mics in the back of the room as the major source of the sound recording.  Then what I do is go in very subtly with closer in miking to add to that for detail.  8 mics on the kit, two on the bass cabinet, two on the guitar cab, two on the Leslie, two on a Rhodes running into a 15" with a horn also.  4 mics on a percussionist.  Two mics on a vocalist. One direct and the other on a small PA to add texture.  All that submixed coming into a 16 track tape reel.  The mix is a piece of cake.  Takes 5 minutes to mix it down.  No EQ, no reverb, no computers or plug ins.  It sounds amazing.. but it needs to be played back on a quality system or it just sounds like other compressed digital nonsense.  I would post the session here but it would have no impact in a crap digital format.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:53

I have yet to hear a better rock band than Led Zeppelin.  Their silly Celebration Day is a disaster.  It's so over manipulated that the life has been stripped right out of the 1's and 0's.  Listen to that ... then listen to Song Remains the Same.  Full of mistakes and 1000 times for connecting to the listener.Their have been no better prog bands in the digital age than 70's YES and GENESIS.  No better obscure prog bands than Gentle Giant, or Henry Cow.  Pink Floyd's epic was recorded on analog tape machines as was ELP's classic.  Think about how tight Gong played or Rush on Hemispheres.  It blew people away because it was that good.. even in the analog studio.  With digital, it's just expected now.. a big yawn.  A big roll of the eyes.  Who cares for another perfect album that dies on my ears.

Please do not yawn and stop giving the 70's bands too much credit and give more consideration to new bands, studio recordings or not, the tapes era is gone and this makes them no less better.

Edited by Kati - September 23 2014 at 03:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:59
I don't think the tape era is gone.. but it needs to be followed through with a mix to tape machine and then vinyl transfer without digital manipulation.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 03:59

We had a band come in last night that I have worked with.  Recorded everything live.  Two ambient mics in the back of the room as the major source of the sound recording.  Then what I do is go in very subtly with closer in miking to add to that for detail.  8 mics on the kit, two on the bass cabinet, two on the guitar cab, two on the Leslie, two on a Rhodes running into a 15" with a horn also.  4 mics on a percussionist.  Two mics on a vocalist. One direct and the other on a small PA to add texture.  All that submixed coming into a 16 track tape reel.  The mix is a piece of cake.  Takes 5 minutes to mix it down.  No EQ, no reverb, no computers or plug ins.  It sounds amazing.. but it needs to be played back on a quality system or it just sounds like other compressed digital nonsense.  I would post the session here but it would have no impact in a crap digital format.

I looked at your profile out of curiosity and you gave John Miller Studio Album, released in 2013 4 stars. Obviously this was recorded by modern technology.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:02
Bands are claiming to record analog then release on digital formats.  Might as well just record digitally. What is the point?

I haven't been moved emotionally by a prog band since they left tape machines. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:02

I don't think the tape era is gone.. but it needs to be followed through with a mix to tape machine and then vinyl transfer without digital manipulation.

no studio in their right mind will use tapes common! really? There is nothing wrong with digital recording, manipulation and compression yes but recording is the best common?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:05
I thought the recording was poor.. very poor, but I tried to listen through that to the compositions.  The keyboard playing was strong.  Not Miner's best work.  I think Tell A Vision was their better work.  They were kind enough to send me the music for a review and asked that I review it here.  I write reviews for other sites and mags from time to time under a different name.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>