FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Role of Computers in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:08
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

I thought the recording was poor.. very poor, but I tried to listen through that to the compositions.  The keyboard playing was strong.  Not Miner's best work.  I think Tell A Vision was their better work.  They were kind enough to send me the music for a review and asked that I review it here.  I write reviews for other sites and mags from time to time under a different name.  

Fair enough, ok now name a band who released recently an album who used your preferred method old school of recording?
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:08
Digital is convenient and inexpensive at a base line level.  I've done a lot of digital recording.  It can sound ok.. but it doesn't get my hairs to raise or send chills down my spine. 

When I cue up a good vinyl cut side by side with the CD version.. it's laughable really. I always play the CD first, then let the listener hear the vinyl.  I have a quality vinyl set up though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:10
I like how a lot of the 60's Verve records were recorded.  Often just ambient miking in a good room with everyone playing live. That's the way to do it.  Why can't Prog bands do that?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:11
now there I disagree with you too, digital certainly listening via headphones with the mixing of instrumentals are positioned correctly, they give me chicken skin, may have the most euphoric overflowing layers, pauses and tempos. I see no difference in either.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:12
The problem is that most vinyl pressing plants are dumping whatever format comes in right into their computers then pressing to vinyl.  It's just silly.

There are plants that advertise, send us your CD and we will press it on Vinyl!  Are you F#$nking Kidding me?

It vinyl just TRENDY for hipsters?  Good lord.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:12

I like how a lot of the 60's Verve records were recorded.  Often just ambient miking in a good room with everyone playing live. That's the way to do it.  Why can't Prog bands do that?

Thus you still record and master using tapes?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:16

The problem is that most vinyl pressing plants are dumping whatever format comes in right into their computers then pressing to vinyl.  It's just silly.

There are plants that advertise, send us your CD and we will press it on Vinyl!  Are you F#$nking Kidding me?

It vinyl just TRENDY for hipsters?  Good lord.
Please don't compare the worse of what you don't like with the best of what you do. It's too transparent to be have any valid meaning. Regardless of studio technology a recording has to be correctly mastered for the chosen format.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:18
The problem with headphones is that you can't feel the music in your body.  The digital argument is that we can't hear below 35 hz or above 18Khz.  But what about what the body can feel at lower frequencies?  If I stand behind you and grab your shoulders.. I could rock you back and forth slowly and you would surely feel that.. but not be able to hear that.
Who knows about high frequencies that we might experience on our skin or hair that our ears can't hear.  Animals hear things in recordings we don't.. but I can't and won't rule out that I am still being affected outside of what my ears can hear.

I agree that headphones can be useful for mixing and soundstage placement.  But I prefer big high efficiency horn driven speakers to really feel the music.  I know it's not always accessible for many living in small quarters or flats.  That's a good reason to make friends with someone who has a proper set up.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:25
I still use tape machines for recording and mixdown.  I do that because it's better quality.  It's not cheaper, it's not more convenient at first glance.. but if you get a good take, then mixing IS easier and much more convenient and sounds much better.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:25

The problem with headphones is that you can't feel the music in your body.  The digital argument is that we can't hear below 35 hz or above 18Khz.  But what about what the body can feel at lower frequencies?  If I stand behind you and grab your shoulders.. I could rock you back and forth slowly and you would surely feel that.. but not be able to hear that.Who knows about high frequencies that we might experience on our skin or hair that our ears can't hear.  Animals hear things in recordings we don't.. but I can't and won't rule out that I am still being affected outside of what my ears can hear.I agree that headphones can be useful for mixing and soundstage placement.  But I prefer big high efficiency horn driven speakers to really feel the music.  I know it's not always accessible for many living in small quarters or flats.  That's a good reason to make friends with someone who has a proper set up.

ok now you and I obviously do not see eye to eye here really, we have gone 360degees in terms of opposite opinion, headphones give the best listening experience, I hear all the notes and from where they come from, i.e. some from the bottom left, others above, while others go behind my head from one side to the other while other go from one side right across my face to the other side. Overflowing tunes coming together this feeling one cannot even get by B&W speakers.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:27
Surrealist, I am lost at your comments and have nothing further to say to you.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:31
If the choosen format is tape reel...  not cassette tapes which are awful... then you can do a straight transfer.  The best quality possible.  Think about it Dean... if you go on Ebay and look for original reel to reel releases from the age of the audiophile 60's and 70's... they sell for much more than mint vinyl pressings.  Why? because those that know.. know its' better.  The quality is there.. and it's understood for those really in touch.

I have a first generation copy of a 1974 Grateful Dead concert and it sounds amazing on reel to reel.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:34
Headphones is an experience.. but if you listen to music on a really good system, proper tube amp.. cartridge, good speakers that have a 15 inch woofer.. that is a good start.  If you get the chance to  experience that.. do so... you could bring in a couple vinyl records to a place the sells high end systems and most will have good rooms to listen.  It's a different more visceral experience.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:36
Surrealist, send us something to listen to prove your fact.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:40
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

The problem with headphones is that you can't feel the music in your body.  The digital argument is that we can't hear below 35 hz or above 18Khz.  But what about what the body can feel at lower frequencies?  If I stand behind you and grab your shoulders.. I could rock you back and forth slowly and you would surely feel that.. but not be able to hear that.Who knows about high frequencies that we might experience on our skin or hair that our ears can't hear.  Animals hear things in recordings we don't.. but I can't and won't rule out that I am still being affected outside of what my ears can hear.I agree that headphones can be useful for mixing and soundstage placement.  But I prefer big high efficiency horn driven speakers to really feel the music.  I know it's not always accessible for many living in small quarters or flats.  That's a good reason to make friends with someone who has a proper set up.

ok now you and I obviously do not see eye to eye here really, we have gone 360degees in terms of opposite opinion, headphones give the best listening experience, I hear all the notes and from where they come from, i.e. some from the bottom left, others above, while others go behind my head from one side to the other while other go from one side right across my face to the other side. Overflowing tunes coming together this feeling one cannot even get by B&W speakers.
I listen to my music using earphones. I believe my experience is complete and i miss nothing.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:41
I would love to...
But anything posted here would be digitized into the lowest format.. MP3 etc. 
I could send you a vinyl record and a complete stereo system for Christmas!

Think of it this way... if you go into a digital photography with a magnifying glass.. eventually you will see squares.. pixels.
It's essentially the same with sound.  With analog photography.. that doesn't happen.. you zoom in and everything just gets more and more interesting... same with analog recording.

I'm not trying to be argumentative.. just enlightening for a few who inspire the explore and venture into higher quality audio experience.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:44
Originally posted by addictedtoprog addictedtoprog wrote:

I listen to my music using earphones. I believe my experience is complete and i miss nothing.[/QUOTE]

When you go to a concert... and the music has enough bass and volume.. can't you feel that in your body? In your chest etc?

You can't get that using earphones.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:45

The problem with headphones is that you can't feel the music in your body.  The digital argument is that we can't hear below 35 hz or above 18Khz.  But what about what the body can feel at lower frequencies?  If I stand behind you and grab your shoulders.. I could rock you back and forth slowly and you would surely feel that.. but not be able to hear that.
Who knows about high frequencies that we might experience on our skin or hair that our ears can't hear.  Animals hear things in recordings we don't.. but I can't and won't rule out that I am still being affected outside of what my ears can hear.

I agree that headphones can be useful for mixing and soundstage placement.  But I prefer big high efficiency horn driven speakers to really feel the music.  I know it's not always accessible for many living in small quarters or flats.  That's a good reason to make friends with someone who has a proper set up.
We've been through this before - vinyl cuts off at 20Hz and 20KHz, this is a feature of RIAA pre-emphasis that cannot be recovered with de-emphasis filters, any apparent subsonics you can feel are much higher frequency, (and any supersonics are at a much lower frequency), than you imagine they are.

For example: if you mix a 210Hz signal with a 220Hz signal you will "feel" a 5Hz beat frequency:

sin(210) + sin (220) = 2(sin((220+210)÷2) × cos((220-210)÷2)) = 2(sin((430)÷2) × cos((10)÷2)) =  2(sin(215) × cos(5))

This will happen off vinyl and off CD as both can happily reproduce the 210Hz and 220Hz tones, but neither of them can record a single 5Hz tone - it is physically impossible.

Also, as we have discussed before: you are not using "big high efficiency horn driven speakers", you are only using horn tweeters, a horn speaker that covers the full audio range would be the size of a house. High efficiency is immaterial to the listener, to design a balanced speaker you have compensate for the extra efficiency of a horn-tweeter in the design by attenuating the signal more - you cannot simply replace a dome tweeter with a horn without redesigning the cross-over network accordingly. Also horn speakers are NOT horn-driven, the horn is an acoustic amplifier, the driver is the transducer behind that,these are moving coils pushing a diaphragm just like any other speaker.
What?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:47

I listen to my music using earphones. I believe my experience is complete and i miss nothing.
When you go to a concert... and the music has enough bass and volume.. can't you feel that in your body? In your chest etc?You can't get that using earphones. [/QUOTE]
When you are at concert the vibe is different, this has nothing to do with the recording topic here nor listening experience. Everything sounds great when you are seeing a band perform live.
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 04:50

When you go to a concert... and the music has enough bass and volume.. can't you feel that in your body? In your chest etc?You can't get that using earphones. [/QUOTE] Im not lucky enough to have experienced any live concert..but still lucky being a progger and using whatever source i hav to listen to the music.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>