This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Out Of 3
    Posted: September 22 2014 at 22:48
This poll is like that Meat Loaf song.

For those who think this would be better as a single vote 'least fave' poll: everybody knows Univers Zero, The Residents and Wyatt would 'win' these polls. Multiple choice is much more fun; just look at the results...WTFLOL
Magma America Great Make Again
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 22:50
ew
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 23:02
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

This poll is like that Meat Loaf song.For those who think this would be better as a single vote 'least fave' poll: everybody knows Univers Zero, The Residents and Wyatt would 'win' these polls. Multiple choice is much more fun; just look at the results...WTFLOL

hahahaha zravkapt,
I am trying my best here to see a connection as how these 3 names above could possibly fit into the same category :)
They are all so different and masters in their own right. I vote the odd one of the 3 which is Zappa, he was brilliant however unlike the others he never ever performed anything spot on exactly the same live, yet all was spot on perfect (I kind of admire and feel sorry for the band who had to perform live and keep up with him tho'). Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells is most perfect, very different to Zappa, this is why I am a bit confused here   
I don't know much about Soft Machine tho' this is why in comparison to all and my personal taste I pick Zappa, although I love absolutely adore Tubular Bells too but these two are so different in every sense lol
hugs
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 23:03
Oldfield is the odd man out for me.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2014 at 23:11
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Oldfield is the odd man out for me.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 00:24
Zappa Wyatt
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 01:10
Oldfield and Wyatt yes
Zappa no (sorry!)
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 01:13
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Oldfield and Wyatt yesZappa no (sorry!)

hahahaha lol that reply of yours seems like your profile pic is saying that hahaha lol love that Grumpy fluffy cat hahaha!! xx
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 01:19
Oldfield and Zappa

I've never been that big on solo Wyatt, and Rock Bottom in particular has little appeal to me.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 05:51
Oldfield by a very long way.

Wyatt is just OK and, whilst Zappa is a genius, I really don't enjoy his music.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 10:54
Compared to Zappa, the other two are also-rans.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 11:50
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Oldfield and Zappa

I've never been that big on solo Wyatt, and Rock Bottom in particular has little appeal to me.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 12:40
Mike Oldfield by a very wide margin!!
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 18:44
Of the three, I only really consider myself to be a big fan of Robert Wyatt. I like the other two, and love various music by Zappa, but neither of them have touched me like Robert Wyatt. 

Hearing Rock Bottom was a music-changing. experience for me, and I also love his debut, and his other albums.  I find Rock Bottom so poignant especially.  And despite Wyatt's very unfortunate condition (his fall, hospitalisation and paralysis), I find it life-affirming.  Well, it's silly, charming, and yes, sad,  yet I find it hopeful.  Harrowing, but hopeful.  Wonderful album, and I find the story behind it quite remarkable (though much of it was conceived before the accident).  For those that just find it okay, I wonder if it would mean more if they could imagine themselves in Wyatt's shoes at the time of recording and quite fresh out of hospital, partially paralysed, and getting a lot of musical support from his friends, and having thought of music for it while in hospital.

Even if, as he said, the musical themes did not result that directly from the accident (the album title sure evokes it), I sure can't distance it from that time in his life.

What I love about Wyatt's "solo" music  generally is that the writing comes across as so personal and often intimate.  There's whimsy, but also an earthiness and down-to-earthiness quality.  I'd much sooner imagine him in a smoke filled little club than playing some arena.  Imagine watching ELP in a stadium with all the theatrics and screaming fans sporting Love Beach style male camel-toes , now think Wyatt calmly playing horn and gruffly singing from his wheelchair while you enjoy a good pint of draught for contrast. I would choose the latter. I love so much of his stuff: from his solo albums to Matching mole and Soft Machine and various collaborations/ albums he has worked on. 
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 18:48
Wyatt and Zappa
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 18:52
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Compared to Zappa, the other two are also-rans.
Strange, I guess I'm the only one who plays all three one after the other.

Nah! Just kidding.  Zap and Old for me, so no vote.

Edited by SteveG - September 23 2014 at 18:53
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2014 at 23:21
Zappa
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 04:12
Anything but Oldfield. Tubular Bells are so boring, awful and infantile to me! Should be forgotten forever and long time ago. Zappa and Wyatt out of these three for me, please.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 05:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Of the three, I only really consider myself to be a big fan of Robert Wyatt. I like the other two, and love various music by Zappa, but neither of them have touched me like Robert Wyatt. 

Hearing Rock Bottom was a music-changing. experience for me, and I also love his debut, and his other albums.  I find Rock Bottom so poignant especially.  And despite Wyatt's very unfortunate condition (his fall, hospitalisation and paralysis), I find it life-affirming.  Well, it's silly, charming, and yes, sad,  yet I find it hopeful.  Harrowing, but hopeful.  Wonderful album, and I find the story behind it quite remarkable (though much of it was conceived before the accident).  For those that just find it okay, I wonder if it would mean more if they could imagine themselves in Wyatt's shoes at the time of recording and quite fresh out of hospital, partially paralysed, and getting a lot of musical support from his friends, and having thought of music for it while in hospital.

Even if, as he said, the musical themes did not result that directly from the accident (the album title sure evokes it), I sure can't distance it from that time in his life.

What I love about Wyatt's "solo" music  generally is that the writing comes across as so personal and often intimate.  There's whimsy, but also an earthiness and down-to-earthiness quality.  I'd much sooner imagine him in a smoke filled little club than playing some arena.  Imagine watching ELP in a stadium with all the theatrics and screaming fans sporting Love Beach style male camel-toes , now think Wyatt calmly playing horn and gruffly singing from his wheelchair while you enjoy a good pint of draught for contrast. I would choose the latter. I love so much of his stuff: from his solo albums to Matching mole and Soft Machine and various collaborations/ albums he has worked on. 

Lovely post, Logan. Listening to Rock Bottom feels like listening to someone's life or a life experience. Mostly Robert's I guess but also my own, Alifie and perhaps even people I know and care about. That probably came out a little strange and I don't know if I actually managed to write what I trying to get across, but its not just an album. Its so much more.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 13:12
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Lovely post, Logan. Listening to Rock Bottom feels like listening to someone's life or a life experience. Mostly Robert's I guess but also my own, Alifie and perhaps even people I know and care about. That probably came out a little strange and I don't know if I actually managed to write what I trying to get across, but its not just an album. Its so much more.

I get what you're saying.

-----------------------------------------------------

It's a personal album that also hits me on a deeply personal level.  It's something that I personally can really relate to while at the same time relating it to Robert, Alfie, and people I cherish.  It's such a meaningful album to me.  And like good art, we aren't hit over the head with a  message, but we can bring our own meaning and experiences to it.

I expect that many who are into Prog (especially those who like arena rock oriented stuff) would not be impressed by it because they're wanting flash.  Like other Wyatt albums, it's a much humbler work than what is often classically thought of as Prog.  It's not about showing off, it's about relaying an experience.  It's not about being larger than life, it is about life.  It's intimate,poetic,  thoughtful, whimsical, and emotional in a good way.  There's such humility and humanity to the album, I feel.  Such poignancy amongst any absurdity.  Rock Bottom is so special.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>