Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush: Heavy Prog or Prog Metal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 23:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

the Porkies were in another subgenre, can't quite remember which (Exp/Post?), and later moved to Heavy because the later work was deemed "heavier" than the earlier work.   As I recall, I was fine with the move but would've preferred they'd stay put.
PT Exp/Post Metal?  Space/Psych, certainly.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 23:55
^ That was my next choice -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 00:10
I've no idea what Rush are even after decades of listening to them. They are simply categorised as "Rush" as far as I'm concerned. Their music is progressive in nature and completely unique in style, especially post Caress of Steel when their rock 'n' roll and blues influences were parked in favour of more cerebral music.

Heavy prog seems a reasonable box to try and squezze them into I guess. Prog metal is completeoy off target, although they've clearly influenced many PM bands.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 11:09
Hi there
Now I know that what i am about to say may seem stupid to many. Anyway, I have my own way to categorize prog bands because I personally hear distinct influences in each band. For example, Yes would be Symphonic prog rock, Gentle Giant would be Medieval-Funk prog rock, Pink Floyd would be atmospheric prog rock, Gong would be space prog rock , KC would be Progressive jazz fusion or something, Genesis would be neo-classical prog rock etc... . All those bands are influenced by genres outside ''rock'' . So for me Rush is simply a hard rock prog band. Of course they have odd time signatures, they are influenced by other musical genres etc, but it's really one of the few well known prog bands that is closer to hard rock.
So i don't know if that term exists, but I would call them Progressive hard rock.
Now I guess you could even call them ''progressive heavy metal'', and by heavy metal I mean the music perceived as metal before the new wave of british heavy metal. (bands like zeppelin or sabbath were often categorized as heavy metal in the 70s) but I guess that would be confusing or even conflicting :P
Anyway, Rush are face melters, that they definitely are. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 12:19
Rush is Prog Metal and Heavy Prog and much more. You want to hear examples of Prog Metal(early Prog Metal that is)listen to Anthem, Bytor and the Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lamneth,2112, the Cygnuses. Don't think that those are Metal?(especially for the 1970s). You better get your ears checked

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - October 22 2016 at 12:20
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 00:19
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Rush is Prog Metal and Heavy Prog and much more. You want to hear examples of Prog Metal(early Prog Metal that is)listen to Anthem, Bytor and the Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lamneth,2112, the Cygnuses. Don't think that those are Metal?(especially for the 1970s). You better get your ears checked

I would never call Rush prog metal, but you are right with one thing: for a while in the 70s, hard rock & heavy metal went hand in hand, meant the same thing, sometimes the music being also labeled "heavy rock". But with the coming of bands like Judas Priest and Motorhead and the NWOBHM, things changed. Heavy metal became a genre on his own if I may say so. Rush influenced a lot of metal bands but other than that, they are not a metal band in any way.

Edited by Cristi - October 23 2016 at 12:42
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 03:07
How on earth does this discussion still run after 2 years? LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 03:10
LOL  Boredom?   A constant flow of newbies?   Alcohol?
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 07:41
Hmmm... I could do with a nice glass of wine. Good idea. Let's drink and discuss this to death, so it doesn't come back again in two years time! LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 11:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

I would never call Rush pro metal, but you are right with one thing: for a while in the 70s, hard rock & heavy metal went hand in hand, meant the same thing, sometimes the music being also labeled "heavy rock". But with the coming of bands like Judas Priest and Motorhead and the NWOBHM, things changed. Heavy metal became a genre on his own if I may say so. Rush influenced a lot of metal bands but other than that, they are not a metal band in any way.

I have to disagree. Are they generally a hard rock band? Yes. They did however have quite a few songs and riffs that I would call metal. Most of the songs that ProgMetaller mentioned as well as some of the sections in La Villa Strangiato are pretty metal to my ears. Especially the middle of The Necromancer is not at all dissimilar to Black Sabbath.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:02
^ best way I've seen 70s Black Sabbath classified is "heavy rock". What are they? Proto-metal? Yes. Proto-doom? Yes. Proto-prog metal? LOL Maybe.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:26
neither.... AOR/Arena Rock!!!.. ie.... prog-related Thumbs UpLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 17:23
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

neither.... AOR/Arena Rock!!!.. ie.... prog-related Thumbs UpLOL

I more or less agree. They were a hard rock band that dabbled in prog, not a prog band that decided to sound heavy. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 18:50
Black Sabbath are Heavy Metal, my friends
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 20:29
No...yes...um...no!...yes! IMO.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 02:01
Rush are progressive rock because of NP and his words. They are progressive rock because of his drumming. They are progressive rock because Neil Peart unleashed the more extensive compositional talents of his backing band. They are progressive rock because they had varied approaches and used different ideas to conjure up suitable means to their ends.

Heavy because of the intense and dynamic rock approach that is the basis of the Rush sound. Metal is part of the Rush sound but not the be all. They have used other approaches such as folk and reggae. Their rock is heavier than most other progressive rock bands and used more so than other such approaches are used in other bands.

Classic rock is a sales format (rock that is for the 40 plus crowd whereas alt rock is for kids 39 and younger heaven help you if you stray from these constraints), AOR is a radio format (they want albums of singles), arena rock is where many bands play their various takes on what constitutes rock. Or would like to play. Rush may fit inot all formats but none are styles of music.

Progressive rock. Heavy.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 05:06
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Rush are progressive rock because of NP and his words. They are progressive rock because of his drumming. They are progressive rock because Neil Peart unleashed the more extensive compositional talents of his backing band. They are progressive rock because they had varied approaches and used different ideas to conjure up suitable means to their ends.

Geddy and Alex are merely Peart's backing band? LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 05:55
^ based on what I read on my cd booklets, Geddy and Alex are the main song-writers, with lyrics by Neil and occasional co-writing.

Edited by Cristi - October 27 2016 at 05:57
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 06:10
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ based on what I read on my cd booklets, Geddy and Alex are the main song-writers, with lyrics by Neil and occasional co-writing.

It's not as simple as that. 
There are videos on youtube about the making of the album Snakes & Arrows that speak to the true nature of Rush's songwriting. Yes, Neil is the lyricist but Geddy has a lot of input

Edited by Jeffro - November 10 2016 at 17:21
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 13:29
They definitely had a huge influence on prog metal but ultimately I would put them more in the heavy prog/hard rock category. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>