Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Emerald Dawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ally Carter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Emerald Dawn
    Posted: September 24 2014 at 21:42
The Emerald Dawn, a symphonic progressive rock band based in Cornwall, UK, will be officially releasing their eagerly-awaited debut album, Searching for the Lost Key, on October 8th, 2014

http://theemeralddawn.bandcamp.com/

Edited by Ally Carter - September 24 2014 at 21:49
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 21:44
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 22:03

http://www.facebook.com/TheEmeraldDawn

Edited by Ally Carter - September 24 2014 at 22:04
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 22:25
No samples at all on bandcamp. Ermm

Just two on soundcloud (one of which isn't on the album), so are the old myspace samples of these four songs representative of the finished versions (they are actually dated 2011 on myspace)?

There is a long-running thread in the Unsigned Bands forum for this artist, with some YouTube videos: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90733, but a number of other links (some soundcloud samples for instance) are now dead.

If the myspace samples are indeed old versions of the songs that finally made it on to the album, then we will probably have to wait until the bandcamp links go live (I assume in a couple of weeks time) before an evaluation can be carried out. The myspace tracks sound decent enough to my ears however, so hopefully these can be used: https://myspace.com/theemeralddawn/music/songsSmile

Edit: The myspace versions of the four songs on the album have different timings to those posted above, so are probably not the finished versions.

Edited by yam yam - September 24 2014 at 22:28
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 22:28
Hi Yam Yam, The Myspace samples are old versions. Only 'Shadow in Light', on Soundcloud, is on the album.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2014 at 22:36
Yeah - I eventually kinda worked that out after a while. Embarrassed So, unless you can provide samples in advance directly to the team(s) via private message, it seems that we will have to wait a bit longer before proceeding with this. Perhaps you could 'bump' the topic when the bandcamp stream goes live? I will keep my eye on it anyway, though. Wink
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 03:26
October 8th, 2014 is a full moon:

Cheers,

Ally from The Emerald Dawn

Email
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 04:31
Shadow in the Light sounds like a good fit for our Symphonic sub but ideally the team would want more samples of the work
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 09:08
If things follow the normal course of events with artists using the bandcamp platform, we should be able to stream the rest of the album on there when it is officially released on Wednesday. Smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:22
"Searching for the Lost Key", the The Emerald Dawn's debut album, is available from tomorrow (October 8th, 2014):

http://www.facebook.com/TheEmeraldDawn

Cheers,

Email
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 15:40
Thanks Ally!  Thumbs Up

I'll be having a slice or two of this with my breakfast, all being well!  Big smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 05:11
LOL!  No stream on bandcamp. Cry

Breakfast consisted of just tea and toast. 
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:23

RELEASED TODAY

"Searching for the Lost Key" is the debut album from multi-instrumentalist, symphonic progressive rock trio, The Emerald Dawn.

To mark its release, here is a photo of Tree Stewart (keyboards, flute and vocals), with her paintings for the album, holding the finished CD.

"Searching for the Lost Key" is now available here:

Cheers,

Email
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:42
Nope - still no stream whatsoever on bandcamp. All tracks on the album have the usual streaming links missing. Ermm
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 10:10
Hi Yam Yam, We're not currently planning on releasing digital downloads. I'm sure that you pay for your music. But for every download purchased, 8 are obtained for free. And those who think that they are being radical by saying that all music should be free don't do anything to provide musicians with free studio time, nor with free food! And it costs a lot of money to make an album. Musicians need to get at least some of that money back. Because some musicians are millionaires doesn't justify consigning other musicians to abject poverty. So we're not enthusiastic about providing low-quality mp3s to the 'Give Me' generation of free riders!
Cheers,

Email
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 10:29
Thumbs Up samples sounded good to me - CD purchased Approve

Definitely Prog, don't know which team should evaluate them for inclusion because I haven't heard the whole album but Symph is possible. 
What?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 11:04
Thanks for clearing that up Ally - It's just that usually with artists who use bandcamp as a distribution platform, the tracks are available to listen to before you buy them (either the digital files or the CD). The samples on myspace are old versions, and only one finished track from 'Searching for the Lost Key' can be heard on soundcloud. I was thinking that the low quality bandcamp streaming samples that are normally made available would have been useful to our evaluation teams, but if you have contacted any them via private message in the meantime and provided them with something they can use then that's great. I will almost certainly be buying this CD too, as I always do with music I really like, but I usually try to listen to a reasonable proportion of an album first if possible before deciding whether or not it's something I want to buy for my collection.  Smile
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 11:12
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up Ally - It's just that usually with artists who use bandcamp as a distribution platform, the tracks are available to listen to before you buy them (either the digital files or the CD). The samples on myspace are old versions, and only one finished track from 'Searching for the Lost Key' can be heard on soundcloud. I was thinking that the low quality bandcamp streaming samples that are normally made available would have been useful to our evaluation teams, but if you have contacted any them via private message in the meantime and provided them with something they can use then that's great. I will almost certainly be buying this CD too, as I always do with music I really like, but I usually try to listen to a reasonable proportion of an album first if possible before deciding whether or not it's something I want to buy for my collection.  Smile

100% Agree. I can't buy many albums and I must listen to 1-2 tracks before pay money. Very reasonable Yam Thumbs Up
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 13:03
Obviously this is not studio quality, but it is a live version of one of the tracks on the album.

http://tivestv.co.uk/music/emerald-dawn-buridans-lament/

I understand that the whole album will be played in two slices on Through the Looking Glass. I think all of it has been played on the Eppy Gibbon Podcast show, on Larne's Finest and on The Ancient One (Cuillin FM). In other words, we've been relying on internet and FM radio play for those into prog to hear the album (without lots of free mp3s flying around cyberspace!). Hope this helps. PS I wanted to email a certain person the tracks so that The Emerald Dawn's music could be evaluated, but I got no reply when I requested an email address. Cheers, Ally.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 13:52
Thanks for the link Ally - very slight typo in it (an 's' missing), but the sample seems perfectly good enough to me regarding quality as far as an evaluation on PA is concerned - we don't need audiophile quality for this purpose, just as long as it isn't something recorded on a cheap mobile phone from the back row of the audience. LOL Anyway, the corrected link is http://stivestv.co.uk/music/emerald-dawn-buridans-lament/.

I know who you are talking about regarding the email address for samples, and I'm rather surprised that there was no reply at all to your offer - he could at least have responded and said he didn't want to give it you. Ermm

I'm pretty convinced myself that you most definitely fit our Symphonic Prog sub genre, but getting samples to the team for them to confirm this is shaping up to be a somewhat difficult process! LOL

Edit: If it helps at all, 'Beyond The Wall' was played on the Epileptic Gibbon Podcast Music Show in his 'long track special' on May 23rd this year: http://www.mixcloud.com/ianfairholm/eppy-gibbon-podcast-music-show-episode-128-a-long-track-special/ - it can be heard by dragging the cursor to 28.00 in the audio. If you're not happy about this link being included here Ally, then let me know and I'll delete it straight away.

This means that we now have access to usable versions of three of the four tracks ('Shadow in Light' is on soundcloud) - just a decent version of 'In Search of the Lost Key' is missing now. Ian also played the track 'Waves' in his Summer's End' preview show (5th September), which was stated to come from your 'forthcoming, as yet untitled debut album' - but that one doesn't appear to be included on the final album (it is also on soundcloud though).

An old studio version (2011) of 'In Search of the Lost Key' is still on YouTube (all the old myspace samples have now been removed), but I won't embed it here in case it shouldn't still be knocking around. A slightly shortened live version from January this year is available though - albeit rather 'distant' sounding:

And I guess that really ought to do it as far as an evaluation is concerned (as well as helping prospective purchasers get a reasonable feel for the album)...without making the whole thing easily accessible in low quality mp3 format for the 'free riders' out there! Embarrassed

Maybe a collab would like to post a link to this thread in the Symphonic team thead? Ermm

Edited by yam yam - October 08 2014 at 15:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>