Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Emerald Dawn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ally Carter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 02:14
Hi Yam Yam,

Thanks for all of the work you have been doing! You are a hero.

The 'Beyond the Wall' version you have found should do for deciding our category in Prog Archives (I think Symphonic Progressive Rock), but it isn't the album mix.

The not-live version of 'In Search of the Lost Key' you found on You Tube is very different to the album version in so far as the album version has Tom playing excellent drums, while the old You Tube version has a ghastly, repetitive drum machine!

In short, the album is, in my view, much better than the clips you have found, but they do provide a good, rough and ready, idea of our sound, or at least a good enough idea to decide our category.

Thanks!
Cheers,

Ally from The Emerald Dawn

Email
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 02:15
PS The comment about 'Waves' being included in our debut album was an erroneous assumption. It's actually going to be in our second album, which is one track from being finished.

Edited by Ally Carter - October 09 2014 at 02:16
Cheers,

Ally from The Emerald Dawn

Email
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 02:28
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Maybe a collab would like to post a link to this thread in the Symphonic team thead? Ermm
done.
What?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2014 at 07:08
Thanks Dean!  Thumbs Up
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 20:57
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 02:57
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 17:37
Making us work for this one. Wink 

I've got the links for three of them but I really don't relish the thought of sifting through an entire radio show looking for one song. Is there anything else available for Beyond the wall?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 19:50

It takes about 20 seconds to find...Click on http://www.mixcloud.com/ianfairholm/eppy-gibbon-podcast-music-show-episode-128-a-long-track-special/, and when the music starts playing grab the cursor in the widget at the bottom and slide it to the 28 minute mark. Job done! As Ally said in her earlier post, this isn't the final album version of the track, but it's close enough to it for evaluation purposes.  Smile

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 20:40
Okay, just to be sure I heard the right tune, is it kind of repetitive in the beginning and end with a big keyboard part in the middle?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 20:56
If I have indeed heard all the songs then I don't think it is really symphonic. "Beyond the Wall" puts me more in the mind of an extended Pink Floyd jam with symphonic only entering in the middle with the keyboards. The same is pretty much true with "Burdian's Lament." Most of it consists of extended jams with a steady beat. There is nothing symphonic at all in "Shadow in the Light." The only one that really fits is "In Search of the Lost key." 
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 22:18
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Okay, just to be sure I heard the right tune, is it kind of repetitive in the beginning and end with a big keyboard part in the middle?

It starts with waves of synths which are then joined by some wailing guitar licks with a liitle percussion in the background, before the drums kick in after about two minutes and the main body of the track begins. The (mainly female) vocals are introduced just before the four-minute mark (the brief male vocals that combine with them at the start of this section are spoken rather than sung). It is pretty easy to tell whether you have the right song even without this information though - since the caption above the track timeline will say "Beyond The Wall by The Emerald Dawn". All the tracks played on the show have markers set at their starting point, which identify the music being listened to at any particular time throughout the duration of the podcast. 'Beyond The Wall' segues seamlessly into 'Lift The Memory' by Kaukasus, but the text above the timeline will change to indicate that this has happened.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 22:25
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

If I have indeed heard all the songs then I don't think it is really symphonic. "Beyond the Wall" puts me more in the mind of an extended Pink Floyd jam with symphonic only entering in the middle with the keyboards. The same is pretty much true with "Burdian's Lament." Most of it consists of extended jams with a steady beat. There is nothing symphonic at all in "Shadow in the Light." The only one that really fits is "In Search of the Lost key." 

What sub would you suggest moving this suggestion to then (if the other team members also feel that Symphonic isn't the right place for it)?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 06:12
It put me in mind of Genesis/Hackett more than Floyd, so if not Symph then Eclectic. It certainly isn't Psyche/Space, Xover or Prog Folk and Neo would be totally wrong (IMO).
What?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 06:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It put me in mind of Genesis/Hackett more than Floyd, so if not Symph then Eclectic. It certainly isn't Psyche/Space, Xover or Prog Folk and Neo would be totally wrong (IMO).

I wasn't suggesting Psych/Space with the Floyd reference. That was just the compositional style that came to mind when I was listening. Could be a bit of Krautrock influence there as well. I was thinking Crossover or Eclectic.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 08:20
I agree with Dean's summing up. I personally think this is too complex for Crossover, and I still believe myself that Symphonic is the best place for it...but you guys are the experts - I am just an old guy who sits around listening to music and making a nuisance of himself on PA! LOL I do have a sneaky feeling that it will not have an easy ride in Eclectic though - if that's where it goes next. I feel a game of ping pong may be coming on... Embarrassed
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 13:51
I could be totally off base too. Just because this is my domain doesn't mean I always get it right. I also haven't heard from my fellow symphomanicas yet so we will see what they have to say.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 20:31
The Symphonic team is going to pass. The Emerald Dawn definitely belongs here but not in Symphonic. I have sent it to Eclectic.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 20:56
^ Thanks for the update from team Symphonic. Fingers crossed that we get a fairly quick resolution in Eclectic - as you say, this act definitely belongs on PA, and it's gotta be either one or the other of these two subs - I just can't imagine them anywhere else to be honest. Thumbs Up
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 14:09
For those wanting to hear 'Searching for the Lost Key' by The Emerald Dawn without having to buy the album, I gather that it will be the album of the week at 7.00pm, UK time (or 13.00 CST, US) on Friday, October 24th, on http://progrock.com

Or you can buy a copy here: http://theemeralddawn.bandcamp.com/
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 02:38
'Searching for the Lost Key' by The Emerald Dawn will be the album of the week on DJ Peter Prog's brand new show on http://progrock.com this evening (Friday, October 24th) at 7.00pm here in the UK (13.00 CST, US). So, if you haven't heard the album yet, here's your chance to hear it for free (and the chance to support a new prog rock show, now only in its second week).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>