Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King Crimson, 9/23 - Barrymore Theatr, Madison, WI
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson, 9/23 - Barrymore Theatr, Madison, WI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson, 9/23 - Barrymore Theatr, Madison, WI
    Posted: September 25 2014 at 03:47
I am puzzled by the lack of reviews for this tour.

One of the huge four Progressive Rock bands (capital P and R) emerges from hibernation to give North America a taste of what the label 'prog rock' means.

Adrian Belew's absence raised questions.

What music would they play?

Anything new?

They didn't play anything new?!

Noooo.

Yes, that's right.

Anyway,

Fripp decided to play mostly early '70's tracks. Larks' Tongues and Red. I still can't believe it. (Yes!)

The concert was Incredible. Something that cannot be expressed with words. Utterly fantastic.

My only problem: Robert Fripp's decision to make everyone in the band wear a suit.

Rolling my eyes lovingly. :')

EDIT: my apologies for the god-awful review. I'm gonna write something decent to replace this later tonight.

Edited by BirdzzZ on day Flu - September 25 2014 at 16:28
Misomex777 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 06:45
One would think that this KC tour has all the original members on it considering the way over priced ticketsAngry
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 09:30
I assure you that the musical experience this tour presents is worth any price you have to pay to get in, I think the lack of reviews is summed up by the original poster's comment: we simply do not have the words

Indeed, it is worth far,far more than anything that involves Greg Lake.

Edited by Gully Foyle - September 25 2014 at 09:31
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 14:41
This is the second time I've seen Crimson.  Last time was Belew, Gunn, Mastelloto, and Fripp.   I was disappointed.  I am a die hard Belew and Crimson fan but this show left me cold.  To be honest, I enjoyed Belew solo over this particular Crimson show.  (I'd kill to see Belew with The Bears but I missed that a long time ago).   

HOWEVER, the latest 3 drummer tour was INCREDIBLE.  I saw it in Philadelphia.  It was AMAZING.  The fact that there were no special effects, pyrotechnics or gimmicks made it even more enjoyable.  The stage was well lit so you could watch all the musicians WORK (not dance, not act,  but PLAY).   It was a music for music's sake show.  Phenomenal.  Nothing bad I could say about it.   Worth every penny.  Now I want a DVD of the performance soooooo bad.  (Also I have been a fan of Jakko Jakszyk's solo music for years and it was nice to see him live for the first time).   
I'd see this show again if I could.  Amazing!
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
BirdzzZ on day Flu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2014 at 16:49
I edited my original post, but once again, sorry for the curt and obtuse drunken ramblings. (Maybe it in some way is an appropriate response to the concert experience?? I don't know..)

Like I said, I'm gonna write up something proper later, but I'll share some thoughts anyway.

Two sides to the coin here: one the one hand, the music speaks for itself, and we're lucky to have such a great prog act to see in concert - one that doesn't need to rely on gimmicks or anything to get two standing ovations, just seven dudes in dress attire tearing it up. I didn't need anything other than the band on stage playing the music I already know.

On the other side of the coin, and approaching the concert from an objective standpoint (I'm imagining I have no clue who King Crimson is), the concert-goer might say it was a boring show. They wouldn't be wrong, because like I said, it was just seven dudes up on stage playing music, and they didn't SAY ANYTHING (aside from the tongue-in-cheek interview vocal cliplets between songs of Fripp saying "Ummm" 300 times).

Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2014 at 07:38
+1 for a DVD of one of the shows...
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Floyd Steely View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 22:14
Originally posted by BirdzzZ on day Flu BirdzzZ on day Flu wrote:

...the concert-goer might say it was a boring show. They wouldn't be wrong, because like I said, it was just seven dudes up on stage playing music

Heaven forbid.
And if you can't be with the prog you love, honey, love the prog you're with.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 05:40
Originally posted by BirdzzZ on day Flu BirdzzZ on day Flu wrote:

.... it was just seven dudes up on stage playing music, and they didn't SAY ANYTHING (aside from the tongue-in-cheek interview vocal cliplets between songs of Fripp saying "Ummm" 300 times).

well, that and the singer himself, lol.
Progrockdude
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:20
I heard they even did "Sailor's Tale".....say it ain't so; just wish they had played more than just east and west coast plus Chicago and UWisc.  Sooooo farging jealous!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by Misomex777 Misomex777 wrote:

One would think that this KC tour has all the original members on it considering the way over priced ticketsAngry

30 years ago you could not see Pavarotti for less than $350 anywhere in America ....

You either experience it or you don't.

Sometimes the money is big and one can't afford it, and that's understandable ... but the price was just right for me, in Seattle ... and I have no complaints ... if I see shows that good for $75 dollars the rest of my life, I will be more than happy!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 10:58
It looks like they got the ticket pricing right considering how full most of the gigs were. I paid $90 to be 20 rows back and it was money well spent from my perspective.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply