Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJade Warrior Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 16:40
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I used to work with someone who'd been in Jade Warrior. Not naming any names. ;-)

Well...why bring it up if you aren't naming names..?  Wink

BTW...what do you think of their music ,both old and new?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 21:33
My favorite is still Waves. One of the best titles by any artist to immerse oneself in, so it’s appropriately titled.

Those who prefer their Island period might also like Blue Star by Gurumander & Friends. It’s an album that I’ve praised on this forum before, and no, I had nothing to do with its making, I just like it. It’s readily available on Amazon.
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 01:08
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I thought Tony Duhig's guitar playing was a melodic, kind of laidback form of improvisation.
Barazinbar!

On electric guitar he often played with a clean Jazz tone. He experimented with open tunings on acoustic which created an Asian music sound and luring vibe. He added a mystical style and raised the spirits in the music of Jade Warrior..Lol! Actually any musician that study's Asian music and even it's culture, will naturally create such a sound. Clearly it's the originality that Tony Duhig brought to the sound of their music. Horizens is a work of art! The entire album and especially "Long Wait At Mount Li." is a true work of art...and don't forget his very innovative yet bizzare guitar work on Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body.

Yeah, I usually play straight up electric, but I've been seeing what I can do with fingerpicking of late. I decided to try leaving some open strings in usual places, and found it remarkable how reminiscent it was of Tony Duhig. I didn't use his alternate tuning, though. I always thought Obedience, BTW, was a masterful use of layered droning distortion - who needs a mellotron when you can do that?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:00
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I thought Tony Duhig's guitar playing was a melodic, kind of laidback form of improvisation.
Barazinbar!

On electric guitar he often played with a clean Jazz tone. He experimented with open tunings on acoustic which created an Asian music sound and luring vibe. He added a mystical style and raised the spirits in the music of Jade Warrior..Lol! Actually any musician that study's Asian music and even it's culture, will naturally create such a sound. Clearly it's the originality that Tony Duhig brought to the sound of their music. Horizens is a work of art! The entire album and especially "Long Wait At Mount Li." is a true work of art...and don't forget his very innovative yet bizzare guitar work on Steve Jolliffe's Journey's Out Of The Body.

Yeah, I usually play straight up electric, but I've been seeing what I can do with fingerpicking of late. I decided to try leaving some open strings in usual places, and found it remarkable how reminiscent it was of Tony Duhig. I didn't use his alternate tuning, though. I always thought Obedience, BTW, was a masterful use of layered droning distortion - who needs a mellotron when you can do that?

That's an interesting observation....your statement about the mellotron. I never thought of it in that way.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:19
Huge Jade Warrior fan over here!
I have most of their albums and I must say they are one of the most unique and interesting bands in prog.

Favourite albums: Last Autumn's Dream, Way Of The Sun, Released and the incredible NowI'm not a fan of their more ambient, quiet stuff.

Fantastic band anyway..
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:31
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I used to work with someone who'd been in Jade Warrior. Not naming any names. ;-)

Well...why bring it up if you aren't naming names..?  Wink

BTW...what do you think of their music ,both old and new?

OK, then. ;-) 
Colin Henson. This was some time ago and he was only in the band for a short while. Smile

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:50
Originally I was under the impression that Kites was split in half. I thought Jon Field wrote side 1 of the album and Tony Duhig on side 2. That was the impression I had when I bought the album in 1980. In the 70's and early 80's, their music was often played on the station WXPN out of Philadelphia. A couple of the established disc jockey's were huge Jade Warrior fans and featured an interview one evening with Duhig and Field. It was an after hours Progressive Rock radio show which lasted about 8 hours. The show's theme was an excerpt from Mort Garson's Black Mass/Lucifer, but I can't recall the name of the show...so if anyone can, I would greatly appreciate a response. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 23:25

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Barazinbar!

That's an interesting observation....your statement about the mellotron. I never thought of it in that way.

Jade Warrior did what they did with little more than a token contribution from keyboards, unlike a large body of Prog bands that we all know. Sax and flute helped for sure, but I think the tonal variations Tony Duhig got from distortion provided a lot of variation in the timbre. They had a broad palette that was surprisingly comparable to the contemporary synth/mellotron bands, or so I think.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 09:44
Dino de Laurentis claimed to be a huge Jade Warrior fan years before producing the film "DUNE". Jade Warrior rushed a copy of "Images of Dune" ..which Laurentis told the band he'd be looking out for the arrival of the cassette. 3 copies mysteriously disappeared in his office. Toto were hired to do the score instead. I look upon this entire shifty and cruel business move as an opportunity greatly lost to Jade Warrior. Tangerine Dream had made a living off film scores and aside from it being written for a box office movie, the music was of great interest. Jade Warrior would have written the most brilliant soundtracks to date...if they had only been given a chance to prove themselves. Choosing Toto in the 80's would have added impressive popularity to the film's status. That's the reason why Jade Warrior were not chosen. Why that door of opportunity did not swing open. 
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 09:56
What do you all make of those strangely out-of-place straight rock songs on their early albums?  I'm thinking of "The Demon Trucker" and "We Have Reason to Believe" in particular, and "Joanne" to a lesser extent.   Those tracks typically get bashed in reviews, and though they're by no means bad songs, I think they must have been included as either a deliberate attempt at a radio-ready tune or perhaps as a tongue-in-cheek joke.  What do you think?

Also, anyone but me see a lot of similarities between "Petunia" and King Crimson's "Ladies of the Road"?  They even both lead off side two of their respective albums.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:06
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

What do you all make of those strangely out-of-place straight rock songs on their early albums?  I'm thinking of "The Demon Trucker" and "We Have Reason to Believe" in particular, and "Joanne" to a lesser extent.   Those tracks typically get bashed in reviews, and though they're by no means bad songs, I think they must have been included as either a deliberate attempt at a radio-ready tune or perhaps as a tongue-in-cheek joke.  What do you think?

Also, anyone but me see a lot of similarities between "Petunia" and King Crimson's "Ladies of the Road"?  They even both lead off side two of their respective albums.

Definitely deliberate because they were signed to Vertigo. Vertigo made the same contrived business demands of Jade Warrior just like they did with everyone else. Afro-Rock was a bit mainstream in the early 70's. Although I have a bad memory as to if it was actually labeled Afro-Rock?  "Well Honest Jerry", "Let's put Jade Warrior on a tour with those bands". Definitely a common practice in marketing Rock bands during the 70's. 

Edited by TODDLER - October 01 2014 at 10:07
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:11

Yes I see it! There are other obvious influences of King Crimson in their music. When Jade Warrior first formed ...they would rehearse for hours and later in the evening...they would often attend a King Crimson show. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:15
If you listen to some of the improvisation from the Fillmore East concert off King Crimson's Epitaph, you can hear the influence they had over Jade Warrior.  
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 10:17

If you listen to some of the improvisation from the Fillmore East concert off King Crimson's Epitaph, you can hear the influence they had over Jade Warrior.  
I'll have to revisit that.  Interesting.

But yeah, my first impression of JW upon buying their debut album was a strong sense of both Tull and Crimson, but on the other hand their lack of a full drum and use of hand percussion kit really set them apart.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 12:45
^Yeah, I see them as the first band to embrace a world music aesthetic. True, it was largely their impression of world music, but my guess is that Tony Duhig picked up a thing or two when he was in Iran. John Field was a driving force in that too. The first album is really incredible for its use of percussion without a proper drum kit. What's funny is with a casual listen you don't even notice that "Hey, there aren't any drums!" The sporadic percussion and the base have it all covered.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 12:59

What do you all make of those strangely out-of-place straight rock songs on their early albums?  I'm thinking of "The Demon Trucker" and "We Have Reason to Believe" in particular, and "Joanne" to a lesser extent.   Those tracks typically get bashed in reviews, and though they're by no means bad songs, I think they must have been included as either a deliberate attempt at a radio-ready tune or perhaps as a tongue-in-cheek joke.  What do you think?Also, anyone but me see a lot of similarities between "Petunia" and King Crimson's "Ladies of the Road"?  They even both lead off side two of their respective albums.

Definitely deliberate because they were signed to Vertigo. Vertigo made the same contrived business demands of Jade Warrior just like they did with everyone else. Afro-Rock was a bit mainstream in the early 70's. Although I have a bad memory as to if it was actually labeled Afro-Rock?  "Well Honest Jerry", "Let's put Jade Warrior on a tour with those bands". Definitely a common practice in marketing Rock bands during the 70's. 

I agree definitely deliberate and influenced by the label. I always detected a bit of Zappa. It really comes out with Discotechnique on Fifth Element, 24 Hour Movie too. I seem to remember reading that they had opened for Zappa on their US tour, but I don't know where I got that from.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 21:47
My order of Daniel Crommie with Glyn Havard - Between the Darkness and the Dawn arrived. Really good. Unlike the second album, the first doesn't have some of the other Jade Warrior members, but Glyn Havard is enough to get my enthusiasm going. Like I say, the music is really top notch.

What do others think about Glyn Haverd's singing? I like his voice quite a bit. His range is limited, but I like what he does with it. Maybe it's just encouraging to me since I have a limited range myself, but I can sing along full throated with the song, Yellow Eyes (when no one else is around). How do others regard his vocals?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 13:24
Finally got around to checking out this group based on what people were saying in other threads, as well as the intriguing cover art posted in the "now playing thread". There's an obvious influence from the first Pink Floyd LP, but the entire songwriting sensibility is much more introverted and progressive... perhaps a direction PF could have taken if Syd Barrett's mental health issues had not forced him to leave? The influences from non-European folk music traditions with a lot of different instruments and excursions into longer trippy structures also remind me of early Amon Düül II. Not sure if there's an actual influence or whether it's just a result of being in sorta the same "idea space" at the same time.

I also swear I've came across their name and their music somewhere else, being convinced they've done the background music for several documentary films I watched a long time ago yet their discography on PA doesn't list any film scores nor confirm any of this. Maybe I'm confusing Jade Warrior with some other group that sounded similar and/or had a similar name.

EDIT: According to both Wikipedia and what I presume to be an official Facebook page, they did do the music for a 1979 film titled A Game for Vultures. The music I recognize from elsewhere I do specifically remember hearing in a documentary, rather than a work of fiction though.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - October 07 2014 at 13:47
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 08:58
It could be possible their music was used for a documentary ..but without anyone consulting the band. I recall in the 70's..hearing the music of Vangelis in shows that were not mentioned in his bio, years later in the digital age. Perhaps he sued the pants off them and all is forgotten, but it does quite often happen...especially when a bio or documentary is being written by a person who was 18 years old in the late 80's and had no hands on experience with the artists life. Journalists and producers grab what they can that's relevant , throw in a few obscure facts, and unfortunately leave out several chapters. There is quite a bit of material missing from the research printed about several obscure artists on Wikipedia. That's why they request for people to write in and inform them on obscure facts. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:09
Just wanted to say that Colin Henson is a fine guitarist. His improvisation on Distant Echoes is truly outstanding..and especially his soloing on "Evocation", "Night Of The Shamen", and "Calling The Wind". He has some influence of an Alan Holdsworth style of playing , but shines on his own with individuality. I love his phrasing. He's also very interesting on Breathing The Storm where he is more laidback, yet adds the perfect chemistry for the composition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>