Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Are you a humanist?" topic closed (to the edge)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Are you a humanist?" topic closed (to the edge)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Are you a humanist?" topic closed (to the edge)
    Posted: September 27 2014 at 03:22
Which is something I don't entirely understand, really. I just wanted to contribute to this topic, support my fellow prog admirers, who are not worshipping gods, but I cannot, because it is now "closed". And all that despite growing humanist community worldwide in general and a progressive decline in supernatural beliefs! Yes, there are some troubles in and around those Arab worlds at the moment, and we currently witness a lot of non-sensical killings in the name of one of them gods, but America and its allies are trying to sort this out. Yesterday I read about woman's beheading in Oklahoma due to some christian-muslim argument - when will this finally end?

Now, if I may kindly ask, and as an annexe to the closed topic - which of you support which of the following two options:

A: The topic was closed through the act of god. 
B: The topic was conveniently closed by one of us, to prevent further contributions to it, so it won't "bump up" and disturb believing hearts.

So, are you a humanist or not? Check below for the answers and you might find out that you are, actually, a humanist. Although you might never knew it!

If you went for an A: People who believe this are believers, or sort of "goddists" (they believe in god(s)) Your faith is rather strong, in god you trust!
If you went for a B: People who support this idea could generally be pigeon-holed as non-believers, or atheists (according to christians), or infidels (according to muslims), or humanists (they believe in humans, aren't they?) In humans therefore is your trust. You're very likely a humanist. So what? Nothing, just saying.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to mystic fred, who originally started the topic? He's not around since June 2013 and his contributions to the forum were quite valuable

Edited by Darious - September 27 2014 at 03:39
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 12:20
God probably smited him.  LOL

I don't care for the term humanist.  But I do not believe in supernatural beings.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 12:53
im a people too
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 13:15
tl;dr: no
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 13:55
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

Which is something I don't entirely understand, really. I just wanted to contribute to this topic, support my fellow prog admirers, who are not worshipping gods, but I cannot, because it is now "closed". And all that despite growing humanist community worldwide in general and a progressive decline in supernatural beliefs! Yes, there are some troubles in and around those Arab worlds at the moment, and we currently witness a lot of non-sensical killings in the name of one of them gods, but America and its allies are trying to sort this out. Yesterday I read about woman's beheading in Oklahoma due to some christian-muslim argument - when will this finally end?

Now, if I may kindly ask, and as an annexe to the closed topic - which of you support which of the following two options:

A: The topic was closed through the act of god. 
B: The topic was conveniently closed by one of us, to prevent further contributions to it, so it won't "bump up" and disturb believing hearts.

So, are you a humanist or not? Check below for the answers and you might find out that you are, actually, a humanist. Although you might never knew it!

If you went for an A: People who believe this are believers, or sort of "goddists" (they believe in god(s)) Your faith is rather strong, in god you trust!
If you went for a B: People who support this idea could generally be pigeon-holed as non-believers, or atheists (according to christians), or infidels (according to muslims), or humanists (they believe in humans, aren't they?) In humans therefore is your trust. You're very likely a humanist. So what? Nothing, just saying.

BTW, does anyone know what happened to mystic fred, who originally started the topic? He's not around since June 2013 and his contributions to the forum were quite valuable

There is no god, only science. The science is that all topics lock automatically if they are inactive for a period of time. There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this policy but being human and not a machine means that I have forgotten what that reason is.

Therefore, the scientific answer, the only answer, and the actual answer is:

C: The topic closed automatically after a period of inactivity. 

The last post in the thread was 20 October 2009 at 20:01 GMT, since this was 155,865,600 seconds or 4 years 11 months 8 days ago it locked automatically.

Geek

Edited by Dean - September 27 2014 at 20:08
What?
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 14:08
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

God probably smited him.  LOL

I don't care for the term humanist.  But I do not believe in supernatural beings.

Our inability to comprehend and explain certain phenomena with our existing vocabulary and knowledge is neither absolute, nor necessarily permanent. Such phenomena may appear supernatural at one time, but it doesn't make them unnatural or unreal. 

Only 120 years ago, if you tried to explain to a learned scientist the idea of the implosion-type nuke, he'd tell you that ..

- It's impossible to "make" a non-existing element plutonium from uranium.  
- It's impossible to wipe out a few square miles of terrain by compressing an orange-size ball of plutonium (even if it existed) with high explosives

And that would be only 50 years before the Trinity test. 

Edited by Argonaught - September 27 2014 at 14:09
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 07:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is no god, only science.

Agreed, although before science as it is today, god and religion were early "science". For an ancient man to find an immediate answer for burning questions, the likes of why the sky is blue, why there are lightnings, there was always a simple answer - god created it like this. Religion also helps with issues like afterlife and bereavement. I therefore think that creating god and religion by a man was a part of human's evolution to make life easier.

I went today for an inaugural Sunday Assembly in my area (Bournemouth, UK) and it was fabulous. Lots of entertaining and inspiring stuff. And all that without worshipping "the great architect of the universe" and his relatives. Local christians and muslims call those assemblies an "atheist church", but it's not only for atheists, but for everyone, not only those looking for an alternative. I know such assemblies are taking place in London since a while now, and they proved to be quite successful, but it was the first time down in Bournemouth. Now I will need to find some music for them as a background theme. Lady Fantasy, you think..?
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 09:20
I'm agnostic and attended a Unitarian Church for many years where humanism was a central tenet for many who attended. I do believe in most humanistic ideas but I keep an open mind about the possibility that science might not be able to explain all aspects of reality. That doesn't mean I promote 'supernatural' explanations or Theistic ones but I simply don't know the answers to everything.

background for anyone who needs an update on humanism
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 10:37
^This A+
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 14:51
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I keep an open mind about the possibility that science might not be able to explain all aspects of reality. I simply don't know the answers to everything.

I'm more optimistic in this matter. Providing the conflict between religions won't mess up too much in the world and won't drag us down back to medieval ages, the science will keep on developing and progressing. There will in consequence be less and less questions left without answers, even if there arise even more new questions on the way. To be honest, the fact that we don't know answers to everything today doesn't necessarily mean this might also be the case in future

Edited by Darious - September 28 2014 at 14:53
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 22:06
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

I keep an open mind about the possibility that science might not be able to explain all aspects of reality. I simply don't know the answers to everything.

I'm more optimistic in this matter. Providing the conflict between religions won't mess up too much in the world and won't drag us down back to medieval ages, the science will keep on developing and progressing. There will in consequence be less and less questions left without answers, even if there arise even more new questions on the way. To be honest, the fact that we don't know answers to everything today doesn't necessarily mean this might also be the case in future
I agree....in time we might know far more but of course you and I will probably be long dead.

Stern Smile
Haquin
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 22:19
I don't know. I think whatever I've heard about "humanism" sounds a lot to me like fluffed-up atheism. I guess it doesn't help that the language is so murky and misrepresented. I am a non-believer in all things divine. I have I guess what you could call "faith" that scientific progress will lead us to a better life. I believe all sorts of people can and frequently do good things, and I think it is a good idea to work for a better world. You tell me what that makes me.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 22:25

I'm agnostic 

This is the only thing a mortal can honestly state about themselves. 

Would you agree, though, that declaring there is no God because i don't believe in such things would be as intellectually arrogant as insisting that there is God,  purely because I choose to believe it?

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 00:39
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I don't know. I think whatever I've heard about "humanism" sounds a lot to me like fluffed-up atheism. I guess it doesn't help that the language is so murky and misrepresented. I am a non-believer in all things divine. I have I guess what you could call "faith" that scientific progress will lead us to a better life. I believe all sorts of people can and frequently do good things, and I think it is a good idea to work for a better world. You tell me what that makes me.

That's pretty much my position, so long as the science is coming from a good place. Science in the wrong hands and with the wrong motivations could be the death of us all.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 03:32
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I'm agnostic 

Would you agree, though, that declaring there is no God because i don't believe in such things would be as intellectually arrogant as insisting that there is God,  purely because I choose to believe it?

Nope. The only reason any human is aware of the concept of god(s) is because another human told them that. 

That's it.

No other reason.

In this 250,000 year old game of Chinese Whispers we are all supposed to believe that at the beginning of this chain of a human telling another human telling another human telling another human telling another human telling another human telling another human telling another human ...telling another human about the existence of magical beings that no one can see or touch are actual magical beings that no one can see or touch. 

All the evidence suggests that it's humans all the way down.

Now we "know" that a lot of these magical beings that no one can see or touch did not really exist, in our enlightened age we "know" that Ra, Horus, Isis, Apollo, Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Hestia, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Hermes, Feronia, Minerva, Novensides, Pales, Salus, Fortuna, Fons, Fides, Ops, Flora, Vediovis, Saturn, Sol, Luna, Vulcan, Summanus, Larunda, Terminus, Quirinus, Vortumnus, Lares, Diana, Lucina, Perseophone, Baccus, Airmed, Belenus, Borvo, Brighid, Grannus, Baldaeg, Erce, Gēat, Helith, Wuldor, Thor, Freya, Odin/Wodin, Loki, Eostur, Pan, Ceres, Kali, Sedna, Quetzalcoatl, Tlaloc, Xolotl, Xipe-Totec and Hotu Matu were all "mythological" and that they were created by humans. 

It is not intellectual arrogance to insist that these gods do not exist and that they never existed. We don't doubt their existence or non-existence, we are not agnostic about them, we did not stop believing nor did we rejected them, we out-grew them and we rendered them obsolete. We no longer needed to believe that the sun was carried across the sky by a god or that the wind was created by another god, as an explanation for those natural phenomenon a god was obsolete.

We now "know" that all the humans telling other humans telling other humans telling other humans telling other humans... telling other humans about the existence of Horus, Isis and Ra were not telling the truth, they were not being dishonest because they truly believed those gods existed, even if at some point in the dark uncharted ancient history of Egypt the human at the beginning of the chain must have woken up one morning and decided that the magical power that makes the sun rise every day shall be "Ra".... and has the head of a falcon (so he probably should have decided not to eat cheese before going to bed too). He wasn't a liar or the deliberate fabricator of a myth, he honestly believed that was true, and he told other Egyptians and in the absence of a better explanation, they believed him.

Most christians no longer believe that the Devil/Lucifer/Satan exists as a demonic creature (or creatures) and that hell is an actual place. Most followers of the Abrahamic religions no longer believe that the "historical" events described in the first few books of bible actually happened - for example they believe that the Garden of Eden and the Deluge are allegorical rather than factual. They do not believe that the two most epic and spectacular events staged by their god actually happened... this is like accepting that David Blaine cannot really levitate but really can push a cigarette through a solid coin (while admitting he's quite good at card tricks).

So, not every christian is a fundamentalist and those that are not are not agnostic.

So why is doubt the only honesty?

It is honesty to believe in a god if that is what you believe. It is honesty not to believe in a god if that is what you believe. Neither position is born out of arrogance, intellectual or otherwise.

I am not a theist, a deist, a pantheist, an agnostic nor an atheist: I am a nontheist, moreover, I am a post-theist.  I believe we are approaching the stage in human development and understanding of our environment where we no longer need to believe that all the things we do not understand or cannot explain require a god to explain them. We may never be able to find an explanation for everything, in fact I postulate that it is impossible for us to explain everything. I do not so much reject gods and other magical entities as the explanation for those unexplained things as believe that they are fast becoming obsolete as an explanation. That is honesty, not arrogance.

Edited by Dean - September 29 2014 at 05:47
What?
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 06:37

in time we might know far more but of course you and I will probably be long dead.

That's one of them things that are 100% sure. Even when science is developing at franticly faster and faster pace. But we will sort of "survive" through our children, and they will witness all them miracles for us :)

Edited by Darious - September 29 2014 at 09:20
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 06:42
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I believe all sorts of people can and frequently do good things, and I think it is a good idea to work for a better world. You tell me what that makes me.

I won't my friend, but they would happily classify/pigeon-hole you as a potential "multiculturalist". Unfortunately, according to the current German chancellor, who gave multiculturalism a lot of chance and time, "multiculturalism doesn't work". I think Britons also realised this, they are just not bold enough, like Germans are, to admit it.
Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 06:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

It is not intellectual arrogance to insist that these gods do not exist and that they never existed. We don't doubt their existence or non-existence, we are not agnostic about them, we did not stop believing nor did we rejected them, we out-grew them and we rendered them obsolete.

Oh man, wow. I think you have just nailed it!

Edited by Darious - September 29 2014 at 14:09
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 10:24
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I'm agnostic 

Not sure I would say it's arrogant as a rule,  though I have met some atheists who are.
There's no way for us to know conclusively if there is anything 'other' so that's why I think for now , for me, agnosticism is the only tenable position.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 29 2014 at 10:27
Haquin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2014 at 11:05
I cannot call myself a humanist if I dislike many human beings so much. 

I'm a Idon'tquestionthesethingsanymoreist 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>