Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - "Are you a humanist?" topic closed (to the edge)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Are you a humanist?" topic closed (to the edge)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 2.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I'm agnostic 

This is the only thing a mortal can honestly state about themselves. 

Would you agree, though, that declaring there is no God because i don't believe in such things would be as intellectually arrogant as insisting that there is God,  purely because I choose to believe it?

Not sure I would say it's arrogant as a rule,  though I have met some atheists who are.

There's no way for us to know conclusively if there is anything 'other' so that's why I think for now , for me, agnosticism is the only tenable position.

are you also then agnostic on santa claus, the easter bunny, and a full original Genesis reunion?  Can't disprove them either, but they are not real.
This is a strange comparison to me as you are comparing a possible creator with definitive man made creations like St. Nick. It's not really the same thing if you take the time to think about it.

actually thats kind of my point...santa claus is a story people made up, just like zeus, thor, vishnu, quetzalquoatl, allah, jehovah, etc.  there seems little difference between  zeus and 'god', but people concede one is made up while another isnt.  shepherds unsure of why lightning occurs made up some reasons.  textual analysis of pre-biblical works show that most of the old  and new testaments, and the koran, is just a rehash of earlier stories, much like the rest of human fiction

Edited by Gully Foyle - October 01 2014 at 19:32
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 20:00

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

To put in a little humor; one of my favorite guerilla ontologists RAWilson once said,"If you think you know what's going on,you are probably full of sh*te."
Big smile
You do like trotting out that homily whenever anyone questions agnosticism don't you. Wilson's version of general agnostics didn't require agnosticism about god. Looks like more bet hedging to me. He also said "There are gods; but there is no God; and all gods become devils eventually."

Philosophers are full of it.
Dean, I recall you stating once that you were a "post theist" or some similar term. I don't believe this of you personally, but do realize that term might be viewed as "heg betting". 
It's similar to someone saying that they are a recovering alcoholic. They may be recovering, but they're still an alcoholic.
LOL That's not what Post Theism means. 

Also I cannot bet upon a heg but I can hedge a bet. However, Post Theism does neither since it is nontheistic:

Being nontheistic means not having or involving belief in gods or a god and there are indeed nontheistic religions such as buddhism and hinduism that do not involve a belief in gods, however I am also nonreligious and non-spiritual. I do not believe in gods, devils, angels, daemons, heaven, hell, djin, genies, the soul, the after-life, ghosts, fairies, elves, pixies, the undead, werewolves, zombies, bigfoot, Nessie, the tooth fairy, father christmas, the easter bunny, ufos, destiny, luck, astrology, the supernatural or superstition. I also do not believe politicians, philosophers, Uri Geller, that aliens have visited earth or that Pop/Rock lyricists have anything important to say.

"Post-theism is a variant of nontheism that proposes to have not so much rejected theism as rendered it obsolete, that God belongs to a stage of human development now past." (wikipedia)

My view of this is as follows: In the past we needed theism to explain those things we could not explain so we invented gods. Now we can explain many of those things that were once unexplained without the need for an invent god-answer, and for all those we still cannot explain we can simply answer with "I don't know".

This side-steps the issue of whether gods exist or not because it makes the question irrelevant, theism and atheism are obsolete concepts. We don't need them any more.

We did not get morality from religion. We knew right and wrong before we created religions: only five of the ten commandments are about morality and then they are listed almost as an afterthought and when you consider the full list of mosaic law (Leviticus, Numbers & Deuteronomy) only those five (and may be one or two more but only if you consider adultery and homosexuality to be immoral) are about morality, most of them are how to be a good follower of the religion (ritual), the rest are how to be a good citizen (social). The moral content of the Abrahamic religions is actually very small, and essentially they boil down to "don't be a dick".

I do not call myself an Atheist because Post Theism is also Post Atheism. To me atheists seem far too preoccupied with the non-existence of gods to the point of being anti-theist and anti-religion. I am not anti-religion, each to is own I say.

We cannot unlearn what we have learnt. We can forget it but we cannot unlearn it. We cannot expunge knowledge of a religion that we were indoctrinated in. I was raised a christian, I was told that the god of Abraham existed and I believed what I was told, no proof was given I was just told it was the truth, and to emphasise that it was put in capital letters... The Truth. When you are five years old you don't argue with capital letters, you don't question The Truth. I am now 58 years old and I reserve the right to question the truth and religion has lost the right to use capital letters, I will never again capitalise god, or the name of any religion unless it is at the beginning of a sentence (we must preserve good grammar at least). So yes, I will always be a recovering christian, and sure if I accidentally hit my thumb with a hammer I'll no doubt utter a stream of religious profanity mixed with a fair dose of Anglo-Saxon pagan expletives, but I will never again be a christian and that is not betting on my hedge.

What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 00:58
Dean, I think you just converted me to "post-theism".
Smile Big smile LOL

Edited by infocat - October 02 2014 at 00:58
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 09:28

To put in a little humor; one of my favorite guerilla ontologists RAWilson once said,"If you think you know what's going on,you are probably full of sh*te."
Big smile
You do like trotting out that homily whenever anyone questions agnosticism don't you. Wilson's version of general agnostics didn't require agnosticism about god. Looks like more bet hedging to me. He also said "There are gods; but there is no God; and all gods become devils eventually."

Dean, I recall you stating once that you were a "post theist" or some similar term. I don't believe this of you personally, but do realize that term might be viewed as "heg betting". 
It's similar to someone saying that they are a recovering alcoholic. They may be recovering, but they're still an alcoholic.
LOL That's not what Post Theism means. 

Also I cannot bet upon a heg but I can hedge a bet. However, Post Theism does neither since it is nontheistic:

"Post-theism is a variant of nontheism that proposes to have not so much rejected theism as rendered it obsolete, that God belongs to a stage of human development now past." (wiki)

LOL  I do know the clinical meaning of Post Theism and it is that rings of the recovering alcoholic. I.E. there once was a God.

As I stated, but maybe was not clear, I don't consider you to be a heg better but the term Post Theist stll sounds that way. Any hoo, it's ll much ado about nothing.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 09:34
Since you are aware that Post Theist doesn't mean "there once was a god" then what's your point?

Also I'm still not sure whether you are being serious or taking the piss with the misuse of "heg better".
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 09:52

Since you are aware that Post Theist doesn't mean "there once was a god" then what's your point?

Also I'm still not sure whether you are being serious or taking the piss with the misuse of "heg better".
Just taking the piss, but Post Theism does come off as some sort of disgarded Panentheism. Perhaps it needs a better definition.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 10:01

Just taking the piss, but Post Theism does come off as some sort of disgarded Panentheism. Perhaps it needs a better definition.
heg betting is to bet hedging as bed wetting is to wet bedding.

Does that help? Tongue

What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2014 at 10:02
^LOL Well done.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 09:28

Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Big smile
You do like trotting out that homily whenever anyone questions agnosticism don't you. Wilson's version of general agnostics didn't require agnosticism about god. Looks like more bet hedging to me.

He also said "There are gods; but there is no God; and all gods become devils eventually."

I’m sure there are philosophers that are “full of it.”  But one must be careful not to assume they understand what the thinker is thinking.  The spoken or written word is actually a very poor communicator.  Even when trying to communicate simple ideas in plain English there is often miscommunication.   Add to that deep and involved concepts shrouded by obscure language and you have a riddle wrapped in an enigma tucked inside a paradox box.

I never heard of mr. Wilson but I think I get the gist of what he’s trying to convey.  But do I really?  I don’t know…

I have heard of Robert Anton Wilson, I have also read some of what he has written, albeit a long time ago.

Robert Anton Wilson was a writer of fiction by profession, he was also (according to Wikipedia) a psychologist, essayist, editor, playwright, poet, futurist, civil libertarian and self-described agnostic mystic. Communicating ideas to others what what he did for a living. 

There is very little that can be misconstrued, misunderstood or misinterpreted by either the phrase "There are gods; but there is no God; and all gods become devils eventually." or by "If you think you know what the hell is going on, you're probably full of sh*t.". Getting the gist of what he is conveying simply requires reading the words he wrote.

Conversely I do not get the gist of what you are conveying in "a riddle wrapped in an enigma tucked inside a paradox box" nor what relevance it has.

Are you sure very little can be misconstrued? With so many definitions and aspects of god how do you know which characterizations Mr. Wilson was referring to? God beyond creation or within creation? God as a singularity or any of the numerous fragments? God as mother, father or beloved friend? Maybe god as pure energy or pure consciousness?

It’s quite possible that the reference to “there is no God,” Wilson was declaring that the god as defined by the various religions of the world simply does not exist. Or he could be probing even deeper and alluding to that God is beyond human cognizance; beyond time, space and imagination.

“The Tao (God) that can be defined or explained in words is not the true Tao (God).” – Loa Tzu

The other references, “there are gods” and “all gods become devils eventually”, would require some extensive background information. I’m not even sure where to even begin.

I see great depth in Mr. Wilson’s statement. But an explanation of the entity called god and some of the varies aspects of god is required.  Then a clarification of the devil or maya  / delusion is necessary. This is a large undertaking and an entire book would probably be carved out. 

I’ll just say this; it’s somewhat inaccurate to think that God created the universe.  It’s more accurate to say that an infinitesimal part of His infinite being became the universe.

wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 15:56
Religiousness is not incompatible with humanism as far as I know. I'm against "secular humanism" though.

For me it's always strange to ask if something exists before you have defined what it is. God is "X". Of course anyone can believe in X. Billions of discussions could have become more fruitful if they had started from the beginning, asking what we are talking about.Usually the whole problem consists in that people divide whe whole matter in two viewpoints, either this or that. In reality, there are an endless amount of possible viewpoints.
The most stubborn atheists (Dawkins) argue by putting everyhting (bad) that's happened in the name of religion into one and the same basket, and that will represent "religion". Stupid , and not very scientific either.

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I don't know. I think whatever I've heard about "humanism" sounds a lot to me like fluffed-up atheism.

Maybe you think about "secular humanism". I think "Humanism" is broader and is about human rights, common sense, and the belief in the human individual, basically.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:05
^I understand your frustration, for lack of a better term, but Humanism is the flip side of religion. Humanism came about as a reaction to the supernatural having influence on human behavior and thought. As I stated in a previous post, it's hard for people not to bring up religion, deities or what have you in this discussion.
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 16:09

There is no god, only science.

Hi!

Only science? There is science, and there is the unknown.

Science upholds the illusion that we know a lot, if not almost everything there is to know.In reality, we can safely assume that our knowledge is extremely small compared to "All Knowledge". In other words, to only focus on what we know (science), and forget about the unknown, is unwise.

In school, your curiosity is killed by conveying the feeling that everything have been explored and all areas of the world are mapped, and we are always at the point were we know more than we've ever known before. So all you do in school is going through a process of memorizing the stuff in the books. You get the wrong idea about what you are reading about...because everything is a mystery, and you only deal with one aspect, or version, of what you are reading about. Even learning to read and write is something very peculiar, and not just a "process" which needs to be done. Only after I had finished high school did I become interested in just about everyhting. I had a broader way of looking at things. In school you didn't look upon the different fields in an inquiring way. Except from maybe the first lesson, when they ask about the subject itself, "what is history?". Good question, and very important. But it's only happens briefly, and then you get on with the book, page after page. Elementary questions are important even if they can't give full answers. But that is reality - we don't know much about it, and that's why school should be exciting.

One of the foundations of the human nature is our desire to understand our reality. Science is a method. But it's not a substitute to our ability to reflect upon reality as a whole. Science also doesn't deal much with psychology and ethics. Fields of science give us information in these fields. To get understanding and wisdom,  you have to see how everyhting works together. Nothing is separated, it's science need to categorize things for its method to work. It doesn't mean that you should look upon nature as many different science fields, with their own separate "rules". Science is the method to observe and measure things. It's not gonna tell us anything about purpose and meaningfulness and inner nature. Science don't tell us what is happening. It only registers the physical traces that is left. But we can have some idea what's going on - just by living, experiencing, feeling and thinking. Science is a product of the human individual. So I suppose the true humanist should put the human being in the center, not science. Only atheists wants us to believe that science is incompatible with religiousness.

"Post-theism is a variant of nontheism that proposes to have not so much rejected theism as rendered it obsolete, that God belongs to a stage of human development now past." (wikipedia)

I'm not familiar with that term, but to me it seems like an elitistic rejection to the whole matter by not even granting the opinion that "there is no god", but rather saying "the whole discussion is silly". God-believers appear pretty stupid then, appearing like having primitive "outdated" views. Seems like a pretty cynical belief...

Then there should be "Post-Nontheism" on the other side, believeing that atheism is just a product of this age. A stage in human development until everyone will know of God's existence.

Now we can explain many of those things that were once unexplained without the need for an invent god-answer,
I don't think God provides a lot of explanations. The religious teachings (not just "God") could make life seem more meaningful, and create an inclination towards good values (or just values). No "explanations" by science tell that life is meaningful.

"We did not get morality from religion.

I don't think anyone would say that religion "invented" morality. But many religions have a focus on right and wrong and to be true in your convictions and feelings. The bible speaks about love and compassion - were do you find that in science?

I just googled a bit from the Bible here:
" If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere."

"Love never gives up.
Love cares more for others than for self.
Love doesn’t want what it doesn’t have.
Love doesn’t strut,
Doesn’t have a swelled head,
Doesn’t force itself on others,
Isn’t always “me first,”
Doesn’t fly off the handle,
Doesn’t keep score of the sins of others,
Doesn’t revel when others grovel,
Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
Puts up with anything,
Trusts God always,
Always looks for the best,
Never looks back,
But keeps going to the end."

"Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be canceled."

I liked that last paragraph, it relates to what we were taking about concerning what we know. ANd there is not too much about God in those lines. Does that seem like fundamentalistic "do as I say and follow the religion"? It's a teaching, and it focuses on the human being.

I was raised a christian, I was told that the god of Abraham existed and I believed what I was told, no proof was given I was just told it was the truth, and to emphasise that it was put in capital letters... The Truth.

Maybe you have good reason to reject all of what you were told, because maybe you were treated to a specific religious interpretation, incorporated into a certain way of upbringing.  Children should be given a chance to make their own beliefs. Religious messages shouldn't be kept from children, but shouldn't be forced on them either. But if you were to approach christian teachings a second time, it wouldn't be a return to the childhood teachings, but it would have to be starting fresh with your own personal approach.

For me, I can't practise a belief in God, or have that sort of a "relationship" were you communicate with God. I'm more of an eclectic philosopher, and open to transcendental concepts. I'm willing to accept the existence of God, but I also have some idea of what it is, or could be.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2014 at 21:23
Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

There is no god, only science.

Hi!

Only science? There is science, and there is the unknown.
Ermm My first post was a joking/humorous response to the OP. Darious gave us two options as to why the previous humanist thread had been closed: 

A. By act of god.
B. By a human.

I, being an ex-Admin, knew why the previous thread had been locked - it was locked automatically by the forum software, ... in other words it was not god that locked the thread, but science (i.e., the forum software), hence my "joke" - there is no god, only science.

But meanwhile...

Science upholds the illusion that we know a lot, if not almost everything there is to know.In reality, we can safely assume that our knowledge is extremely small compared to "All Knowledge". In other words, to only focus on what we know (science), and forget about the unknown, is unwise.
Actually, being serious. That is not what science upholds.

If you think that is what science upholds then you do not understand science.

It also seems apparent that you have "cherry picked" small bits out of several of my posts without really understanding what I was saying in those contexts.

In school, your curiosity is killed by conveying the feeling that everything have been explored and all areas of the world are mapped, and we are always at the point were we know more than we've ever known before.
You went to a bad school. We're always being told that schooling here in England is bad, but I'm glad we were never taught that rubbish.

So all you do in school is going through a process of memorizing the stuff in the books.
You went to a bad school. That (unfortunately) is how kids with good memories pass exams, that is not how I ever passed an exam... I have a dreadful memory, I have to understand something in order to remember it, if I don't understand something I ask. Learning starts with having the courage to say "I don't know" and "I don't understand". 

You get the wrong idea about what you are reading about...because everything is a mystery, and you only deal with one aspect, or version, of what you are reading about. Even learning to read and write is something very peculiar, and not just a "process" which needs to be done.
You went to a bad school.

Only after I had finished high school did I become interested in just about everyhting. I had a broader way of looking at things. In school you didn't look upon the different fields in an inquiring way. Except from maybe the first lesson, when they ask about the subject itself, "what is history?". Good question, and very important. But it's only happens briefly, and then you get on with the book, page after page. Elementary questions are important even if they can't give full answers. But that is reality - we don't know much about it, and that's why school should be exciting.
You went to a bad school.

One of the foundations of the human nature is our desire to understand our reality. Science is a method. But it's not a substitute to our ability to reflect upon reality as a whole. Science also doesn't deal much with psychology and ethics. Fields of science give us information in these fields. To get understanding and wisdom,  you have to see how everyhting works together. Nothing is separated, it's science need to categorize things for its method to work. It doesn't mean that you should look upon nature as many different science fields, with their own separate "rules". Science is the method to observe and measure things. It's not gonna tell us anything about purpose and meaningfulness and inner nature. Science don't tell us what is happening. It only registers the physical traces that is left. But we can have some idea what's going on - just by living, experiencing, feeling and thinking. Science is a product of the human individual. So I suppose the true humanist should put the human being in the center, not science. Only atheists wants us to believe that science is incompatible with religiousness.
Okay, you don't understand science, you went to a bad school and you don't know what atheists want. A hat-trick. What next?

I'm not familiar with that term, but to me it seems like an elitistic rejection to the whole matter by not even granting the opinion that "there is no god", but rather saying "the whole discussion is silly". God-believers appear pretty stupid then, appearing like having primitive "outdated" views. Seems like a pretty cynical belief...
That is your interpretation of the words, I do not recall ever using the phrase "the whole discussion is silly" or using the word "outdated". I've read through the brief Wikipedia entry and that does not use the words "outdated", "silly" or "stupid" at all, not even close. 

Years ago we thought the Sun was carried across the sky by a god in a fiery chariot. This was not primitive thinking nor was it silly. Just as we do today, back then we applied the knowledge we knew to what we did not know. We knew chariots, we knew fire and we "knew" the crystal sphere that enclosed the earth - it was logical and sensible then to see the Sun as fire being pulled over that celestial sphere by the only vehicle we knew, and since no human could do that then the driver had to be a god. As we developed we gained more knowledge, so this "theory" of the Sun god was rendered obsolete. In pantheism this is not a problem: lose one god and there's still plenty more. 

I did not render this Sun god obsolete and post-theism didn't render this Sun god obsolete, Ptolemy did.

Years ago we thought the heavens and the earth was created in six days by a monotheistic god. This was not primitive thinking, nor was it silly. How the story came about is not relevant, what was important were the messages the story contains: about how we as humans stand in relation to all the other animals, how women are regarded and how and when we should work and worship. Then as we developed we gained more knowledge so this "theory" of how the heavens and the earth was created was rendered obsolete. The problem for monotheism is that all the important messages that the holy-men had woven into the "theory" were now on shaky ground, and when that is the case then the whole house of cards is not looking too stable... if god didn't create the world in six days then why keep the sabbath holy? If the sabbath is not holy then how many more of the ten commandments are also untrue?.. you can see where this leads...

I did not render god obsolete in the story of how the heavens and earth were created and post-theism did not render god obsolete in the story of how the heavens and earth were created - evolution rendered creation obsolete, and unfortunately, god was the lead role in that story.

If you want to be offended by what I believe then by all means please be offended, but make sure you fully understand what I believe and then make doubly sure you are offended for the right reason. However, my beliefs are pertinent only to me and do not affect what other people believe. Your belief are unchanged by what I think.

For me this is the basis for tolerance. If everybody spent less time being offended by what other people believe then we'd all get along a lot better. (unless you are a racist scum-bag... then you can f.o.a.d.)

Then there should be "Post-Nontheism" on the other side, believeing that atheism is just a product of this age. A stage in human development until everyone will know of God's existence.
Not withstanding your incorrect understanding of Post-theism, from a previous post:

...theism and atheism are obsolete concepts ... Post Theism is also Post Atheism.
and since I'm quoting myself, this is from the same post:

I am not anti-religion, each to is own I say.

Now we can explain many of those things that were once unexplained without the need for an invent god-answer,
I don't think God provides a lot of explanations. The religious teachings (not just "God") could make life seem more meaningful, and create an inclination towards good values (or just values). No "explanations" by science tell that life is meaningful.
Science is not a religion. Science is not a philosophy. If you think that science should give life meaning then you really do not understand science.

Nothing can tell you the meaning of life. You are born, you live life trying very hard not to be a complete dick, and you die. 

"We did not get morality from religion. 

I don't think anyone would say that religion "invented" morality. But many religions have a focus on right and wrong and to be true in your convictions and feelings. The bible speaks about love and compassion - were do you find that in science?
Science is not a religion. Science is not a philosophy. If you think that science should teach you right and wrong then you really really do not understand science.

I just googled a bit from the Bible here:
Good for you. Don't preach to me, if you want to quote scripture go to the christian thread.

I was raised a christian, I was told that the god of Abraham existed and I believed what I was told, no proof was given I was just told it was the truth, and to emphasise that it was put in capital letters... The Truth.

Maybe you have good reason to reject all of what you were told, because maybe you were treated to a specific religious interpretation, incorporated into a certain way of upbringing.  
LOL ... and maybe I wasn't. 

You certainly cannot tell anything about my upbringing from the 45 words I wrote.  Is there a christian who was not told that god exists and that he is The Truth?

Do we raise our children as christians by telling them that god may or may not exist and he may be the truth or he may be a lie?

Children should be given a chance to make their own beliefs. Religious messages shouldn't be kept from children, but shouldn't be forced on them either.
Which is how I raised my daughter, so for all the words you have typed here this is the one and only thing we agree on.

But if you were to approach christian teachings a second time, it wouldn't be a return to the childhood teachings, but it would have to be starting fresh with your own personal approach.
Try: "if you were to approach christian teachings a third time" - I've done the born again thing already thanks, so no, I will not be requiring a third attempt, but thanks for the unsolicited free advice.

For me, I can't practise a belief in God, or have that sort of a "relationship" were you communicate with God. I'm more of an eclectic philosopher, and open to transcendental concepts. I'm willing to accept the existence of God, but I also have some idea of what it is, or could be.
I can tolerate god believers, philosophers however...

Edited by Dean - October 03 2014 at 21:32
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:23
^Perhaps philosophers just went to a bad school.Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:24

^Perhaps philosophers just went to a bad school.Wink
philosophers are a bad school... or rather several bad schools Wink
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:33
I'm not beholden to philosophers either, but some like Nietzsche did have some good points or arguments. Do you agree or are they all a waste of time to you?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:47

I'm not beholden to philosophers either, but some like Nietzsche did have some good points or arguments. Do you agree or are they all a waste of time to you?
I would put philosophers in the same leaking hot air balloon as astrologers and alchemists without a parachute between them and have them falling towards a runaway train.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 08:53
^So Nietzsche' view of of christianity being a controlling and counter intuitive influence on mankind is of no consequence what so ever. That's interresting.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 09:05
How do you arrive at that statement from what I wrote?

What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 09:13
Philosopher=no good. Nietzche=philosopher. Hence: Nietzche=no good. Just using the science that you treasure so much.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>