Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnthony Phillips Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anthony Phillips Appreciation
    Posted: September 27 2014 at 16:05
Can't find a thread on here, so thought I'd make one - how great is Anthony Phillips?! Most of you will have heard his playing on Genesis' 2nd album "Trespass" (I hope? Tongue) and maybe "The Geese And The Ghost" (his debut solo album), but over the holidays I was looking around for more of his albums (The "Private Parts & Pieces" collection especially) and bought "Field Day" which is basically 2 hours of this luxurious acoustic music at a constantly high standard (I'd urge any Trespass fan to buy it!). I started listening to more of his solo works today and fell in love again. 

What are your thoughts on Ant? Would Genesis have been better with him instead of Hackett? And please post any obscure little gems you've found on any of his albums!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 17:29
I have held onto about 6 AP LP's, all of which I love. For some reason, I return most to Back To The Pavillion. He's such an intricate and meticulous musician.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2014 at 18:32
I really enjoy Wise After the Event. Ant sings all the songs himself, and I like his fragile touch with the material. The title track is magical. I also like Sides, which is a pop-oriented album, at least side one is. Side two has some powerful lengthy proggy tunes like Nightmare which sounds a lot like a Genesis/Hackett solo piece. I've heard Field Day too, and it's very impressive. Didn't care as much for Geese/Ghost, maybe needs more plays, and the Private Parts and Pieces sets I've only gotten brief glimpses of. I'll need to check those out more.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2014 at 00:31
Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Can't find a thread on here, so thought I'd make one - how great is Anthony Phillips?! Most of you will have heard his playing on Genesis' 2nd album "Trespass" (I hope? Tongue) and maybe "The Geese And The Ghost" (his debut solo album), but over the holidays I was looking around for more of his albums (The "Private Parts & Pieces" collection especially) and bought "Field Day" which is basically 2 hours of this luxurious acoustic music at a constantly high standard (I'd urge any Trespass fan to buy it!). I started listening to more of his solo works today and fell in love again. 

What are your thoughts on Ant? Would Genesis have been better with him instead of Hackett? And please post any obscure little gems you've found on any of his albums!
I've made an Appreciation thread 2 years ago Tongue but that was ages ago. He's my favorite artist ever. His output is (nearly) ALL great. 

For your other question: Hackett had the true Genesis sound. I love Phillips for his more 'introspective' playing. Emotion flows through his guitar like a breeze in the air. 

Field Day is actually one of my least favorite (no offense). I find his other Private Parts more interesting and varied (I hate referring to it as 'private parts'...) but my favorite Private Parts & PIECES are: Dragonfly Dreams, Pieces II (of course), Ivory Tower and especially Soiree (his piano works are BRILLIANT). New England's enjoyable, City of Dreams is fantastic (don't mind the harsh ratings) and is CHEAP on Amazon mp3. 

But the gold is here: Seventh Heaven (probably my favorite album from him currently), Slow Dance, Tarka (TARKA!!), 1984, Wise after the Event has some great songs, the Meadows of Englewood has a totally different Phillips sound, Archive Vol. II has some gems... 

I could go on and on... Thanks for making another thread. Bring this artist back from the dead!! Spread some awareness!!
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 06:24
I appreciate the following albums especially: Sides, Back To The Pavilion, Ivory Moon, Tarka and Slow Dance.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:46
I've got 7 (maybe 8?) albums of this artist. I like them all.

The one I return to most is his third: SIDES (a bit overlooked record). Well, actually it is his fourth (counting the Private Parts & Pieces vol. 1).

Edited by Andrea Cortese - September 30 2014 at 08:03
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 22:49
I had my eye on this thread, and decided I needed to re-acquaint myself with his material. I listened just recently to Geese and the Ghost, Private Parts & Pieces: Back at the Pavilion, and Private Parts & Pieces: A Catch at the Tables. I have Wise After the Event, but have not located it. All really good stuff! Field Day sounds attractive. I might have to buy that.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 08:16
I listened to Sides the other day and it remains a very enjoyable album. Geese and the Ghost got another listen too, and I liked it a lot more than I have in the past.

Edit: also just did side 1 of Wise After the Event. Just wonderful. Still my fav album of his.

Edited by HolyMoly - October 05 2014 at 09:55
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 09:12
After leaving Genesis, he went off to music college, (if I'm not mistaken), and returned in advanced form to begin his recording career. Although he was already skilled and probably had hundred's of pieces under his belt, he took that step, (I assume), to advance himself in the areas of performance and writing. When I first began listening to Geese and The Ghost, Private Parts & Pieces vol. 1 , Private Parts & Pieces Vol 2..Back to the Pavilion, it contained the spirit of Genesis music in a quiet subtle way. It was sometimes like an ambient Genesis. Some pieces were exciting and full of rage..like "Nightmare" from Sides. 
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2014 at 09:36
^^^

Yep, the prog side of SIDES is really engaging!Thumbs Up

Edited by Andrea Cortese - October 08 2014 at 09:42
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:09

Genesis were blessed to have had two innovators at the guitar spot.  I only play two or three of Ant's records regularly (Ghost, Pieces Vols. 1 & 2) but cannot fathom my record collection without at least these three albums.  I have a stack of Hackett and really love his classical albums (Bay, Momentum, Midsummer Night's) and play several of his rock and genre expirements regularly, but my favorite solo Genesis album has to be Ghost....truely the great lost Genesis LP.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:27
I have 15 albums from the Ant. Slow Dance remains one of the finest prog albums ever, a sublime symphonic masterpiece. Obviously Ghost is not far behind but I love 1984, PP&P one and two are awesome as well. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 14:39
Everyone should check You Tube to see if someone posted the show that Anthony Phillips hosted on VH1 ..which I believe was viewed in the mid or late 80's. He performs acoustic pieces and it's quite outstanding. He tells funny stories from the Genesis days. If you know of anyone owning the televised recording on VHS..transfer it to Dvd ..it well worth it!
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 17:34
Anyone bought the new 5CD box-set compilation yet which includes a book and 10 unreleased tracks? Think it is all remastered also but costs around £50. Want to purchase it but at that price I need to be reassured that it is an improvement on what I have and an opinion on the unreleased tracks. I have 12 albums and enjoy most of them especially the early vinyls.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 10:20
HI,

I think I counted something like 17 CD's of his music last I looked at it.

One of the few truly honorable people I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, not to mention having him allow me top use a piece of music to read a poem to for the Ygdrasil Journal of Poetic Arts one and only audio issue over 10 years ago.  Too many of these "progressive" folks are just in it for the greed, not the art!!!!

Thanks Anthony (again!)

Edited by moshkito - November 21 2014 at 10:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 11:59
Essential.

Own 13.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 08:25
I like TARKA! It's Anthony Phillips and Harry Williamson together creating music that is unique. It is difficult to describe the music or compare it to anything in general. It would be like trying to describe a timeless Jade Warrior album like KITES or one of the many outstanding works of art by Popol Vuh. It gives me the sensation/impression that I'm listening to something which doesn't have a category. Music is simply music and breaks barriers beyond the existence of styles that can be sometimes easily categorized by music critics, musicians and fans. Tarka is definitely one of those...and Anthony Phillips may not in the slightest way, intentionally release music for that reason. He might be one of those artists who is thinking of nothing in particular at all. 
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2014 at 08:49
I haven't got past Trespass and TGatG (both of which are about two steps from being perfect). I might get something else from him. I heard other stuff from him via Spotify, but it's no longer available.

Originally posted by Xonty Xonty wrote:

Would Genesis have been better with him instead of Hackett?
By any means neither better, nor worse. Anthony sticks with classical and folk traditions, and I have to admit he did it way better with TGatG than Steve with VotA and Spectral Mornings. Steve, however, takes some of his time taking chances with rock and experimental music on a side of classical and folk; no Hackett - no Nursery Cryme and SEBTP. Two different guys.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 01 2014 at 08:52
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2014 at 22:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

HI,

I think I counted something like 17 CD's of his music last I looked at it.

One of the few truly honorable people I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, not to mention having him allow me top use a piece of music to read a poem to for the Ygdrasil Journal of Poetic Arts one and only audio issue over 10 years ago.  Too many of these "progressive" folks are just in it for the greed, not the art!!!!

Thanks Anthony (again!)

Very well put, that’s probably why he’s one of my all-time favorites.

And, oooo, do I ever appreciate the Ant-Man. Hug

The Geese and the Ghost still gives chills.  The title track (the whole album, really) manages to have an epic quality without bombast.  The Voiceprint 2-CD reissue is fantastic.  A particular treat was the Phil Collins-sung version of “Silver Song”, an intended P.C. solo single that Charisma pulled the plug on.

Wise After the Event, Sides, 1984, Tarka, Slow Water, etc. all amazing.  All in the Private Parts and Pieces series, ditto.  His attempt at a more commercial sound, The Invisible Men, was a bit of a misstep but it has its moments.  I know he’s done several collections of library music, so far I only have Finger Painting.

All in all, prime example of an artist who has his sights on producing satisfying music over instant commercial success.

Edited by AreYouHuman - December 02 2014 at 22:18
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2014 at 02:45
Sunrise And Seamonsters.....
 Post Reply Post Reply