Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQUESTION about King Crimson's no video policy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: QUESTION about King Crimson's no video policy
    Posted: September 30 2014 at 02:31
Although Fripp is a musical genius, I'm pretty surprised that these guys are like the only band that gives a crap if they're videoed. I'm going to the Los Angeles show on October 1st and was wondering if security at the venues actually patrol Fripp's "video with your eyes and record with your ears" BS statement, because I really wanna video like 1 or 2 songs without getting thrown out or pissing Fripp off enough to leave lol.

I really understand the "enjoy the show in the moment and not on a phone screen", as I'm not filming probably 90% of concerts. But these guys need to understand that they wouldn't be where they are without us fans attending shows. As long as the filmers aren't blocking others' views and their phones aren't on full-brightness or accidentally snapping flash photos, how can that really be a "distraction" for the band or even audience?

Anyways, just wanted to get a quick question answered from someone who went to a Crimson show this year :)
"...we hope to give you something far more substantial and fulfilling. All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste."

- Gentle Giant
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 05:26
The same thing was said at the recent Kate Bush shows and I didn't see anyone trying to video it. I guess they're just trying to stop crap videos of them being uploaded to YouTube. Just wait for the DVD.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 05:51
Yes the ushers patrol the floor and stop people recording and I've been at gigs where Fripp has stopped a gig due to photograhy. Put the camera away and respect the artists wishes and the terms of sales of the ticket.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 06:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Yes the ushers patrol the floor and stop people recording and I've been at gigs where Fripp has stopped a gig due to photograhy. Put the camera away and respect the artists wishes and the terms of sales of the ticket.
this
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:25
Originally posted by DBJetsman DBJetsman wrote:

I'm pretty surprised that these guys are like the only band that gives a crap if they're videoed.
I'm pretty surprised by that too, as it should be common sense that people with cameras are just as annoying as people who jump up and down or wave their arms in the air or do anything other than stand still and listen to the music.
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Well said...
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 08:05
The latest KC tour is so good, I don't see why anyone would waste time trying to record it.  If Fripp would guarantee at the beginning of the show that some sort of video/audio recollection of the show was forthcoming it would probably keep people from feeling the necessity to record the show.  

He makes things more difficult for himself by omitting this reassurance.  If he doesn't release a DVD/video of this tour he is shooting himself in the foot.  This tour was such a fantastic listening AND VIEWING experience, he'd be a fool not to release some retrospective of it.

If you enjoy WATCHING and hearing musicians manipulate their tools of the trade, this is the show to see.  Considering that, I can totally understand how fans would be tempted to record it.

RELEASE THE DAMN SHOW ON DVD, FRIPP!  (or at least mention that it will be considered).  This will make your fans happy and maybe you can concentrate on the show and not worry about people trying to record.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 08:30

Modern fans don't care what the artist wants they just think its their right to do as they like. I think the only way Fripp gets his message across is by using a heavy handed approach. Fortunately so far it sounds like most fans are respecting it.

With regard to camera being the same as people jumping up and down thats clearly not Fripp's experience. I've seen him walk off stage due to photography but never due to people having a good time. Clearly he finds it distracting.

I'm hoping they release a dvd & an album of the tour but mainly I'm hoping they enjoy this so much they decide to record new material. Whether or not they do any of those things should not impact the patrons respecting the artists wishes.
Ian

Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 17:06
Sorry to break it to you all, but it has nothing to do with Fripp being a delicate genius who's afraid of cameras. It's all about the money. I don't blame him though. He works too hard and kicks too much butt to not be making money from people who want the live experience for free. At least he finally realized that, practically speaking, he'd be better off selling songs on itunes than giving lazy internet junkies an excuse to illegally download 21st Century Schizoid Man anywhere else.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 19:26
So glad you know Fripp so well & you decided to share, we'd never have worked it out without you.
Ian

Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2014 at 19:26
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Sorry to break it to you all, but it has nothing to do with Fripp being a delicate genius who's afraid of cameras. It's all about the money. I don't blame him though. He works too hard and kicks too much butt to not be making money from people who want the live experience for free. At least he finally realized that, practically speaking, he'd be better off selling songs on itunes than giving lazy internet junkies an excuse to illegally download 21st Century Schizoid Man anywhere else.

Well, Fripp is pretty focused on not getting screwed financially, which is fine and right for an artist, but i have to disagree on the photos thing.  I think the thing is that not only is he just an insane musician and guitarist, but he is batsh*t crazy in lots of other ways too.  I am fully convinced that he 100% believes that taking photos or recording messes with the metaphysical connection with the platonic ideals of music he seeks.  Take it or leave it, but i dig his stuff, so i'll take it.
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 14:28
iframe,embed,object,img,div{behavior: url(#htmlfilter)} window.onerror=abperr; function abperr(a,b,c){return true;} In the 90's and 2000's, I read everything that Robert Fripp wrote, on the web and in his liner notes.

Fripp has a spirituality of music in which the act of performance is like an act of worship.

He believes that Music, the Performer, and the Audience form a sacred triangle where each side has to do its part.

When the Audience decides to record, photograph, or video the performance, they are removing themselves from the event.  They are no longer participating as an active listener.  Instead, they are present as an observer, or a collector of something to be enjoyed later.

Fripp compares this to "Pissing in the Communion Wine."  A sacred event is ruined by an individual's thoughtless, selfish act.

Whether or not you accept his view on the matter, it should at least be clear that for him, this is about more than money or just being a fussy diva.
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 08:31
Fripp has always been a tight-assed prig.....still, I respect what he's done and (having never owned a cell phone, video camera, still camera, or portable taping device) would have no problem abiding by his wishes.  Just wish the tour hit more than NYC, LA and Chicago/Milwaukee.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 08:36
Fripp is grumpy that's his problem and Bruford is hot Big smile plus he is funny too ApproveHeart
SirPsycho388 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2014 at 15:57
I went to the 1st night of the SF shows and had an AMAZING experience. I was staring at the band the entire time. That being said, I totally snapped a few pictures during the first few minutes of the show because it's Fripp & King Crimson... OF COURSE I want a picture of that experience. But to be respectful I took a few at the beginning of the set and put my phone away for the rest of the night... Except to take a short video during the climax of Starless... again... it's KING CRIMSON!!! I've gone back and watched that video so many times now to relive that amazing concert and to show my friends who were not able to attend. The memories are forever in my brain, but I've also got tangible memories of this show with a few pictures and short video. I did not ruin the show for myself, the band, or anyone in attendance.

I have such respect for Fripp & KC... and I think it's fine to snap a few pics and still enjoy the show with your eyes and ears. 
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me. And do I take you by the hand and lead you through the land and help me understand the best I can
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 06:14
Bootleg videos are inherently crappy and making one means that you are being distracted and likely interrupting others if you are getting in the way.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 07:55
Originally posted by SirPsycho388 SirPsycho388 wrote:

I have such respect for Fripp & KC... and I think it's fine to snap a few pics and still enjoy the show with your eyes and ears. 

You have such respect that you ignored his specific and repeated requests for your personal gratification? Ermm

Ian

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2014 at 08:12
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 16:21
If I had been busy trying to take a "viddie" at the Albany shows in September, I wouldn't have been able to grab Pat's broken stick that he slid across the stage floor to me on the 2nd night. 

I'll wait for the official video release(s) of this tour - I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Fripp will be releasing a DVD/Bluray of one or more nights of this tour.  How could he not?  I've seen Crim on every US tour since 1995, this tour was by far the most pleasing.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 19:38
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Fripp is grumpy that's his problem and Bruford is hot Big smile plus he is funny too ApproveHeart

lol
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>