Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWarchild 40 year remix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warchild 40 year remix
    Posted: September 30 2014 at 06:27
This is going to be released in a few weeks. Will have 12 unreleased studio tracks plus the quad album. Can't wait. This will match the aqualung 40 year box set. One of the studio tracks is tomorrow was today . 3 albums worth of tracks. Most of the best tracks weren't even on the original 11 song album

Edited by dr prog - September 30 2014 at 06:29
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:48
I like several tracks on Warchild especially Bungle and Skating Away.....might have to ck into this reissue.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 18:56
I'll definitely be getting this one. My fave songs on the previous remaster were mainly bonus tracks plus queen and country, warchild, solitaire and skating. I love the live version of tomorrow was today so I can't wait to hear the studio version. I always felt that bungle, sealion, hoorah, two fingers were good tracks but they all have that over happy cheesy lyric feel to them and an album with too many songs like this doesn't come across as too strong. If only this was realeased as a 2 or 3 cd album. Would have been awesome. Wasn't a great choice of tracks for the original album though but this release will be probably my fave release from 1974.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 11:02
Great. I love Warchild. Backdoor Angels is one of JT's great songs (IMO)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:00
I'm not waiting for any 40yr remix at all, the more when the album is Warchild, although here is a chance of imprevement of at least 96% when new material will be added. On a 40 anniversary occasion I find a sequel far more preferrable (like TAaB2 40 years after TAaB).

Warchild was one of the very few 70s albums by a prog band that turned me off at first listen (but that might be a reason to revisit it now that I'm a few decades older Confused).

Edited by someone_else - October 06 2014 at 03:01
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2014 at 03:30
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

<span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">I'm not waiting for any 40yr remix at all, the more when the album is Warchild, although here is a chance of imprevement of at least 96% when new material will be added. On a 40 anniversary occasion I find a sequel far more preferrable (like TAaB2 40 years after TAaB).</span><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;"><div style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">Warchild was one of the very few 70s albums by a prog band that turned me off at first listen (but that might be a reason to revisit it now that I'm a few decades older Confused<span style="line-height: 14.3999996185303px;">).</span>

There's 3 albums worth or studio material. This is the same lineup who produced gems in TAAB and APP. They went for a pop approach in 1974 for Warchild but the stuff that wasn't on the album is the usual first class tull. But even on the original album there are 3 or 4 pretty cool songs. The quad album is included too. Bungle actually sounds good on the quad but I didn't like it much on the original album. There's about 30 songs and the weakest 5 or 6 tracks are on the original album. But then again the weakest 5 or 6 songs on the aqualung remix of 20 songs are on side 2 of the original too. The quads of both albums improve some songs from both these albums eg. Hymn 43, wind up, my god, bungle, locomotive etc. These songs go from possibly unlistenable to listenable when heard in quad

Edited by dr prog - October 06 2014 at 03:34
Stereolab View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 00:33
Release date is Nov. 25th, $45, by Steven Wilson. (Gotta love Steven. He both records his own masterpieces and restores the masterpieces of his predecessors. Dude is irreplaceable.)

http://www.amazon.com/WarChild-Limited-Edition-2xCD-2xDVD/dp/B00NCGXXT4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413005381&sr=8-2&keywords=warchild

Edited by Stereolab - October 11 2014 at 00:34
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 04:14
Originally posted by Stereolab Stereolab wrote:

Release date is Nov. 25th, $45, by Steven Wilson. (Gotta love Steven. He both records his own masterpieces and restores the masterpieces of his predecessors. Dude is irreplaceable.)

http://www.amazon.com/WarChild-Limited-Edition-2xCD-2xDVD/dp/B00NCGXXT4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413005381&sr=8-2&keywords=warchild

You can get it much cheaper from Burning Shed; 19 pound or Approx US$30.50

https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/product/444/6151/
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 11:08
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Hymn 43, wind up, my god, bungle, locomotive etc. These songs go from possibly unlistenable to listenable when heard in quad
Are those supposed to be possibly unlistenable in its original form? 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 15:48
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Hymn 43, wind up, my god, bungle, locomotive etc. These songs go from possibly unlistenable to listenable when heard in quad
Are those supposed to be possibly unlistenable in its original form? 

I didn't enjoy them enough to want to play them when I put the cd in. But the quads I can. Hymn 43 quad I can't stop playing. The original I didn't mind but would always skip mainly because of the vocals. Why you cross out Bungle?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 16:39
My God, it's been 40 years? I remember being sick with the flu and my brother running into my bedroom with the just-released album in his hands. Time is a cruel mistress.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 04:38
Hands down the best band of 1974.
20 studio tracks plus 6 orchestral pieces. Also the quad version of the album
The 2nd album of 10 studio tracks is definitely better than the original album or 10 tracks.
Strongest tracks from the 2nd disc are Good godmother, Saturation, Glory row, Paradise steakhouse, Rainbow blues, March the mad scientist, Quartet
Strongest tracks from 1st disc are Warchild, Queen and county, Skating away, Only Solitaire
The quad of Bungle in the jungle is really good and smashes the original version imo.

Edited by dr prog - December 12 2014 at 04:39
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 04:46
Over 20 years ago, I bought a copy of Warchild. Maybe 2 tracks really agreed with me. I hocked it.
I just can't see the value in Warchild. And very little in Too Old To R&R .....(save for Quizz Kid)..   Ian was not always correct with his assumptions.......

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 12 2014 at 04:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 04:54

The 2nd album of 10 studio tracks is definitely better than the original album or 10 tracks.
Strongest tracks from the 2nd disc are Good godmother, Saturation, Glory row, Paradise steakhouse, Rainbow blues, March the mad scientist, Quartet
Strongest tracks from 1st disc are Warchild, Queen and county, Skating away, Only Solitaire
The quad of Bungle in the jungle is really good and smashes the original version imo.

Got mine yesterday. Played all of it on my new 5.1 super surround system (yay!).  This box set is simply superb. Will have to play it all again tomorrow. The previously unreleased orchestral stuff is quite uplifting.

The stand out for me is the song "Tomorrow Was Today". This track has never been released until now. I have heard a bootleg live recording of it. I find it unbelievable that it has taken 40 years for this brilliant track to actually see the light of day. A quintessential Tull song if ever there was one. Anderson really does set his standards very high if he believed this song wasn't good enough to released on either vinyl or CD up until now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 05:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Over 20 years ago, I bought a copy of Warchild. Maybe 2 tracks really agreed with me. I hocked it.
I just can't see the value in Warchild. And very little in Too Old To R&R .....(save for Quizz Kid)..   Ian was not always correct with his assumptions.......

Tom, what's going on? I was a teenager when I bought this album and I was in love with both the album (and a young girl down the road!). WarChild to me brings back so many memories. (Boy she was cute).

Tom, give WarChild another try...oh it might also pay to fall in love with someone at the same time!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 05:15

Did you not read my post? Wink
All the strong tracks are on disc 2. There's 3 or 4 strong tracks on disc 1 though. The quad version of bungle makes this song a good listen finally with its mean sounding vocals also. Of the 20 studio tracks, the weakest 4 or 5 tracks are on the original album. That says a lot about the bonus stuff and it also says a lot about what style of song Ian wanted to write and release in 1974 on the original. All the real tull is on disc 2 and there is plenty of it. Not sure what Ian was thinking by releasing an album with the weakest 5 songs from a list of 20. He was going for a cheerful style of melody which would make the critics happy. Anyway, this is a great box set because it has a dozen gems which is more than any other band did in 1974. The orchestra stuff is cool too
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 05:18
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Got mine yesterday. Played all of it on my new 5.1 super surround system (yay!).  This box set is simply superb. Will have to play it all again tomorrow. The previously unreleased orchestral stuff is quite uplifting.

The stand out for me is the song "Tomorrow Was Today". This track has never been released until now. I have heard a bootleg live recording of it. I find it unbelievable that it has taken 40 years for this brilliant track to actually see the light of day. A quintessential Tull song if ever there was one. Anderson really does set his standards very high if he believed this song wasn't good enough to released on either vinyl or CD up until now.

Tomorrow was today isn't bad but I love Good godmother. Tull should have released this as a double album at the very least. It would won back a huge amount of fans who were a bit disappointed by the original release
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 05:43
Barry, Dr Wu.....
    Your words do mean a lot to me, I may give the album another go, I'll just need to find another copy of Warchild on vinyl......I know it features a wonderful line-up, just after Brick and Passion Play I was expecting a lot more........
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 06:11
I got mine.  Pricey but they did a hell of a package.  So  a side question for those that have it, if you were to take all the tracks from the two CDs that aren't redundant (Warchild II  and Sealion II) and include the orchestral bits, how would you arrange it to make one mega album?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2014 at 06:38

Barry, Dr Wu.....
    Your words do mean a lot to me, I may give the album another go, I'll just need to find another copy of Warchild on vinyl......I know it features a wonderful line-up, just after Brick and Passion Play I was expecting a lot more........

You need to get the box version. If the original only has 2 strong tracks, the box has a dozen strong tracks. The tull that you thought was missing is really there on the box

Edited by dr prog - December 12 2014 at 06:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>