1 [3.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cover Art Blakey
    Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:40
Pick your favourite cover art out of theseSmile ......and yes the music on offer is completely irrelevant.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 07:55
The Atoll one is pretty cool.

How long before you run out of Arts?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:00
Kind of like them all in one way or another (except perhaps the Santana). Both Atoll's albums got some genuinely lovely psychedelic fantasy drawings which makes me want to reinvestigate the band. While Zeit's always been a favorite and a perfect package for the music within. 

I'm certain I enjoy the Kansas-cover a lot more than I would enjoy the album (based on having heard other stuff by them). Death May be your Santa Claus isn't a favorite but atleast succeeds in being a similar fun mess on the outside as on the inside. Vision Creation Newsun comes across as a little cheapish compared to the rest. 

I also think Guldbamsen is more fond of yellow, blue and purple in combination than I am.

Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:11
I like the Kansas cover. Love it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:12
Death May Be Your Sanity Clause is possibly the worse pre-Photoshop cover of all time, I mean, what the 'ecky-thump are those two flaming lipsticks doing firing out of the carburettor air intakes of a V8 engine... I can't not vote for it Big smile
What?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:18
10 CC for me, but it's hard to reject the Second Hand's cover because of the music inside that I love so much.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:39
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The Atoll one is pretty cool.

How long before you run out of Arts?

I haven't thought about that, but I guess I'll start bending reality like I usually do.

BTW There are two Atoll options in the poll, but i take it you voted for Musicien-Magiciens as the other one still is without any votesSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:41
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Kind of like them all in one way or another (except perhaps the Santana). Both Atoll's albums got some genuinely lovely psychedelic fantasy drawings which makes me want to reinvestigate the band. While Zeit's always been a favorite and a perfect package for the music within. 

I'm certain I enjoy the Kansas-cover a lot more than I would enjoy the album (based on having heard other stuff by them). Death May be your Santa Claus isn't a favorite but atleast succeeds in being a similar fun mess on the outside as on the inside. Vision Creation Newsun comes across as a little cheapish compared to the rest. 

I also think Guldbamsen is more fond of yellow, blue and purple in combination than I am.

You have no ideaLOL
you should see my wardrobe...

The Atoll ones, musically, are a bit misleading. Not nearly as psychedelically influenced as the cover arts portray....but they're some fine 70s symph prog albums nonetheless.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:42
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

I like the Kansas cover. Love it.

Oh yes. There's just something about an Indian chief wearing a buffalo space helmet.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Death May Be Your Sanity Clause is possibly the worse pre-Photoshop cover of all time, I mean, what the 'ecky-thump are those two flaming lipsticks doing firing out of the carburettor air intakes of a V8 engine... I can't not vote for it Big smile

My thoughts exactly. This is so much better than 90% of what I've come across in today's photoshop trend.
I'm very close to voting for it myself.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:47
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

10 CC for me, but it's hard to reject the Second Hand's cover because of the music inside that I love so much.

Nice pick my dear canard. Storm Thorgerson all the way!!!

Btw Pierre, did you accidentally vote for Santana instead?Tongue

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 30 2014 at 08:48

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

My thoughts exactly. This is so much better than 90% of what I've come across in today's photoshop trend.
I'm very close to voting for it myself.
Yes, Dean description is closer to what I actually mean than what I wrote myself.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 08:56
There is another one I've been meaning to use in these polls, Hapshash & the coloured Goat, which reminds me a lot of that Second Hand cover, but they don't really look that similar. Maybe it's the composition? I'm not sure.

Definitely featuring in my next poll though.

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:12
I love that one.And no, I voted the Ten CC Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:22
Ahh now I see it. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 30 2014 at 09:23

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:46
First vote for Birth Control! Though I think being infectiously inlove with that album is affecting my good judgment.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 09:47
I have a strong emotional reaction to the Boredoms album cover.  It's a fairly simple cover, probably didn't take a whole lot of effort to make, though the idea behind it is what really connects.   It's very reflective of the music inside - an almost overwhelming brightness that would and should be blinding and unbearable to look at, but - and this may be key - the cover CAN be stared at indefinitely without pain or retinal damage.  Not only that, but it allows you to see a human figure partially obscured by the blinding light, but who acts as a consoling figure as if to say, "you are in very dangerous territory here, but don't worry - we are people like you, and you're going to be okay."  Likewise, as bold and daring and strange as the music inside is, it is never strident or repellent.  At least I don't think it is.

Edited by HolyMoly - September 30 2014 at 09:49
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:02
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I have a strong emotional reaction to the Boredoms album cover.  It's a fairly simple cover, probably didn't take a whole lot of effort to make, though the idea behind it is what really connects.   It's very reflective of the music inside - an almost overwhelming brightness that would and should be blinding and unbearable to look at, but - and this may be key - the cover CAN be stared at indefinitely without pain or retinal damage.  Not only that, but it allows you to see a human figure partially obscured by the blinding light, but who acts as a consoling figure as if to say, "you are in very dangerous territory here, but don't worry - we are people like you, and you're going to be okay."  Likewise, as bold and daring and strange as the music inside is, it is never strident or repellent.  At least I don't think it is.

This post is so ridiculously filled with win sauce, it's insane.  
Cheerio Captain Katjing!

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:05
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

First vote for Birth Control! Though I think being infectiously inlove with that album is affecting my good judgment.

I think it's their best album. According to my tastes then it probably shouldn't be, but life is fickle in that way.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 10:25
After a couple of minutes streaming Atoll I ended up voting for Zeit. You can say the music is copmpletely irrelevant as much as you like, but if the visuals don't correlate with the sounds I like the cover less (or I find it less succesful). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>