0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canterbury Tales
    Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:27
Just some of my favourite Canterbury flavoured tunes. Vote away and please share your thoughts on the musicBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:43
Love the whole 'Canterbury' scene,,, the only thing I don't have on that list is the Hopper track.....I should get it.
On that list for me it's between the 3 classic bands: National health, Caravan, and Hatfield,....went with Caravan but it was a tough choice.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:43
I'll vote for Hatfield's "Shaving is Boring".  It's super cool how its ostinato riff gets all cloudy in the middle as the song takes the morning train into a small town named I'm Abstract, Hold My Hand.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:46
Oh god. So much greatness!

Its actually beetween the three "Canterbury" bands: Moving Gelatine Plates, Supersister and Cos for me 

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:47
Caravan, of course!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:51
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I'll vote for Hatfield's "Shaving is Boring".  It's super cool how its ostinato riff gets all cloudy in the middle as the song takes the morning train into a small town named I'm Abstract, Hold My Hand.
So very true!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 11:52
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

So very true!
Ah, so you've been to that small town too. Cool

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:02
Damn! No vids of Mobile Mobile on YouTubeOuch I would've loved to have shown you that Doc. Actually closer to Krautrock in my opinion, but then again it's a fluke track on Hopper Tunity Box.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:17
Yes this is hard and I can vote for a few of them, but my vote goes for the more sedated but utterly disturbing No Tree Will Grow. I love that atmosphere, in fact the whole album is very unique. Great band, love all first 4 albums immensely.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:23
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Yes this is hard and I can vote for a few of them, but my vote goes for the more sedated but utterly disturbing No Tree Will Grow. I love that atmosphere, in fact the whole album is very unique. Great band, love all first 4 albums immensely.

Yes yes yes!!! What a fantastic choice my friendClap That song means so much to me. I fell in love with it during a very wild part of my life, and it helped put things into perspective - or maybe not. It just seemed to mirror my own world immensely......oh and that build up during the last leg of the track is just heavenly. Goosebumps city for sure. Every time.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:29

So very true!

I think I know what it feels and sounds like, and I too simply adore the effect it takes on during that middle part, but what exactly does Ostinato mean in musical terms?

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 30 2014 at 12:30

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:30
The yellow eye of Supersister. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:36
To show my musical ignorance even further, I'd like to mention the way the guitar is played on Aftaglid. I don't know if there is a musical way of wrapping ones lips around what he does here, but Hillage seems to purposely play/riff/whatev around the actual groove or perhaps very convoluted melody of the piece - at least that what it ultimately sounds like when mixed together. You get a suggestion through the guitar of a red line in the music, but it continuously moves around it. I think it is a stroke of genius. Reminds me a bit of the guitar in Cornucopia from Sabbath, only far more loosey goosy.

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

So very true!

I think I know what it feels and sounds like, and I too simply adore the effect it takes on during that middle part, but what exactly does Ostinato mean in musical terms?
Ostinato is a repeated, short melodic phrase. In this context, it's referring to that little riff that takes hold in that section of the piece.

-Kehlog Albran
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:43

To show my musical ignorance even further, I'd like to mention the way the guitar is played on Aftaglid. I don't know if there is a musical way of wrapping ones lips around what he does here, but Hillage seems to purposely play/riff/whatev around the actual groove or perhaps very convoluted melody of the piece - at least that what it ultimately sounds like when mixed together. You get a suggestion through the guitar of a red line in the music, but it continuously moves around it. I think it is a stroke of genius. Reminds me a bit of the guitar in Cornucopia from Sabbath, only far more loosey goosy.
Funny you mentioned this song cause just about a week ago I played this baby to a friend of mine during our monthly delusional music session. Of course he was blown away since he already love Hillage (of course seeing him with Gong a few years ago helped, damn what a show!!). Anyway I must say he just might be the best psychedelic guitar player ever, he just know how do it right, with all those notes flying in and out, great stuff indeed.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:45

So very true!

Ostinato is a repeated, short melodic phrase. In this context, it's referring to that little riff that takes hold in that section of the piece.

You see I had all these crazy pictures of x and y and 42 divided by a triangular melodic force. Thanks buddy. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 30 2014 at 12:46

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Funny you mentioned this song cause just about a week ago I played this baby to a friend of mine during our monthly delusional music session. Of course he was blown away since he already love Hillage (of course seeing him with Gong a few years ago helped, damn what a show!!). Anyway I must say he just might be the best psychedelic guitar player ever, he just know how do it right, with all those notes flying in and out, great stuff indeed.

He reminds me of the cat in your avi if I'm honest. Hillage is one of a very few guitarists who sounded original in his playing while infusing a bit of Jimi into the mix. Most other fall into the trap of playing up his bung hole, which is a shame, because nobody does Jimi better that Jimi. Personally I think it's Hillage's phrasings and altogether different sense of melody that makes him sound like he isn't aping.

- Douglas Adams
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 12:54
Caravan and Steve Hillage.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 14:21
Caravan...
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2014 at 14:32
Was gonna vote Hatfield until I saw 'Genius Hans'.
Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>