Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDonovan: Early Prog or Just Psych?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 13:38
I can see where you're coming from. A Gift... does sound like one of those "sit back and relax" albums.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 18:03
What a ridiculous thread.

I'm not going to even comment on the prog "aspect".

As to psych, they say UK psych started with Sunshine Superman, but they like to parrot back and forth a lot on the internet. I myself have parrotted this on ocassion.

Truth is NOTHING that came out of the UK is psychedelic music in the truest sense. And if your  automatically thinking America , there was precious little there as well.

Mock psych there is tons, but the real deal, coming mainly out of Texas, was a very slim timeline with mere handfuls of bands.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 07:26
Originally posted by Permy Permy wrote:

Truth is NOTHING that came out of the UK is psychedelic music in the truest sense. And if your  automatically thinking America , there was precious little there as well.

Mock psych there is tons, but the real deal, coming mainly out of Texas, was a very slim timeline with mere handfuls of bands.

So, your definition of psych would only include those bands that spoke with a drawl. I realize Bubble Puppy and 13th Floor Elevator came from Texas, but your limited idea of what psych is seems to border on the silly.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 08:48
It is easy to dismiss that which you do not have any intention of understanding.

Silly it is then.  Only it is a silliness shared by many major (vinyl) collector/dealer  heads - names that would mean nothing to you.

I have not yet read Lundborg's (RIP) Psychedelia tome. It is quickly becoming THE main reference on the scene. Given time  Patrick's work   WILL - along with Morton Jack - be the main reference.

I will go out on a limb and suppose his take on true psychedelia was  same as above stated.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 09:41

What a ridiculous thread.

I'm not going to even comment on the prog "aspect".

As to psych, they say UK psych started with Sunshine Superman, but they like to parrot back and forth a lot on the internet. I myself have parrotted this on ocassion.

Interesting  response if you dispose of diplomacy.
Did the Texas bands you mentioned really have a Psychedelic sound with their combination of Garage rock and other worldly electric jug (lol)? Or were these bands that just promoted LSD use and played stoned?

This has always been the key question when comparing early American psych with that of the British.

Perhaps you should give this question some thought.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 09:48
The British are clean out of the equation.
There was no movement for them - no Vietnam for one.

(With exception of foilkmusic and ocassional eccentricities like Comus, there is no darkness for the Brits only Alice In Wonderland, whimsey, garden gnomes....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 09:55

The British are clean out of the equation.
There was no movement for them - no Vietnam for one.

(With exception of foilkmusic and ocassional eccentricities like Comus, there is no darkness for the Brits only Alice In Wonderland, whimsey, garden gnomes....
Yes I agree, there was no UFO club in London featuring freak out groups like Floyd and Fleur De Lys at that time. I must have just imagined it. Thanks for straightening me out. LOL

Perhaps you should read up a bit on this. It could prove helpful.

Edited by SteveG - November 22 2014 at 09:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 11:24

It is easy to dismiss that which you do not have any intention of understanding.

Silly it is then.  Only it is a silliness shared by many major (vinyl) collector/dealer  heads - names that would mean nothing to you.

I have not yet read Lundborg's (RIP) Psychedelia tome. It is quickly becoming THE main reference on the scene. Given time  Patrick's work   WILL - along with Morton Jack - be the main reference.

I will go out on a limb and suppose his take on true psychedelia was  same as above stated.

Hmmm... you sound exactly like a former poster who made equally inane pronouncements regarding vinyl dealers and their allegedly sacrosanct record bin categorizations.

He was utterly wrong. And history repeats itself, apparently.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 11:30
Now that you mention it, he does remind me of a certain individual tooLOL

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 11:41
People - including myself - do not WANT to be told certain truths.

Do you think I myself want to know that prog came out of bluesrock?
That psych came directly out of garage. That the line between garage and psych is so thin as to be....
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 11:47
Well it's all down to how you define psych or prog - and as far as I know, the verdict is still out on that. You'll find as many different views on what constitues either of the two styles as there are posters on here........and why wouldn't you? It's music after all.
I will say this though, your definition of psych doesn't sound like any other I've ever come across.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 12:01
Donovan may have been personally related to prog, hanging out and jamming with King Crimson (http://www.elephant-talk.com/articles/fripp-yp.htm), opening for Yes, whatever.  But musically, he doesn't qualify.

And King Crimson covering a song of his shouldn't allow him in, either.  Otherwise Yes covers would have qualified Richie Havens, Simon & Whatshisname, and god knows who else.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 12:17
Yes, of course the Crimson bit is ridiculousness itself.

Better to further the Donovan arguement, the origional poster could have brought up a '66 Donovan B-side PRECEEDING SUNSHINE SUPERMAN  whose title is pretty clear as to the ,then, current (Brit)  practice of spiking "sugarcubes" with LSD.

But ,of course, the question is : does the said track -whose exact title I forget -smack of psychedelicness to the degree of Sunshine Superman?

The answer being...ughhhh...no.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 15:19
^The OP left out obvious Psychedelic songs like Mellow Yellow.

(Perhaps they weren't so obvious.) Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 17:00
What is Mellow Yellow about?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 20:41

What is Mellow Yellow about?

Are you asking because you truly don't know, given the song didn't arise from the Austin,TX psych scene, or is there some arcane bit of wisdom you wish to impart regarding the song? And not, of course, anything to do with vibrators or the alleged link to smoking banana skins to get high.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 22:04
No idea what its about.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 10:52

No idea what its about.

For what it's worth......

"

The song was rumoured to be about smoking dried banana skins, which was believed to be a hallucinogenic drug in the 1960s, though this aspect of bananas has since been debunked.[5] According to Donovan's notes accompanying the album Donovan's Greatest Hits, the rumour that one could get high from smoking dried banana skins was started by Country Joe McDonald in 1966, and Donovan heard the rumour three weeks before "Mellow Yellow" was released as a single. According to The Rolling Stone Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll, he admitted later the song made reference to a vibrator; an "electrical banana" as mentioned in the lyrics.[6] This definition was re-affirmed in an interview with NME magazine: "it's about being cool, laid-back, and also the electrical bananas that were appearing on the scene - which were ladies' vibrators."[7]

The phrase "mellow yellow" appears towards the end of James Joyce's novel Ulysses, where it is used to refer to Mrs. Marion Bloom's buttocks.[8] But it is not known if Donovan took the phrase from there"

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:31
It is about the meadow saffron. Right in the song it tells you. Now if you know anything about botany you will be able to understand. Polyploid vs. diploid............http://www.cannabase.com/cl/bcga/breeding/colchicine.htm

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:48
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The phrase "mellow yellow" appears towards the end of James Joyce's novel [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_%28novel%29" rel="nofollow]Ulysses[/URL], where it is used to refer to Mrs. Marion Bloom's buttocks.<sup ="reference" id="cite_ref-8">[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellow_Yellow#cite_note-8" rel="nofollow]<span>[</span>8<span>[COLOR=#0066cc" size="2]][/COLOR]</span>[/URL] But it is not known if Donovan took the phrase from there"

I don't believe Donovan ever started a song with "stately, plump Buck Mulligan" either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>