Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDonovan: Early Prog or Just Psych?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 11:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The phrase "mellow yellow" appears towards the end of James Joyce's novel Ulysses, where it is used to refer to Mrs. Marion Bloom's buttocks.<sup ="reference" id="cite_ref-8">[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellow_Yellow#cite_note-8" rel="nofollow]<span>[</span>8<span>[COLOR=#0066cc" size="2]][/COLOR]</span>[/URL] But it is not known if Donovan took the phrase from there"

I don't believe Donovan ever started a song with "stately, plump Buck Mulligan" either.

Don't know about that but Donovan is quoted in that wiki link so why are we doubting his own comments...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 12:02
Dildo it is then
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:24

Originally posted by Permy Permy wrote:

No idea what its about.

For what it's worth......

"

The song was rumoured to be about smoking dried banana skins, which was believed to be a hallucinogenic drug in the 1960s, though this aspect of bananas has since been debunked.[5] According to Donovan's notes accompanying the album Donovan's Greatest Hits, the rumour that one could get high from smoking dried banana skins was started by Country Joe McDonald in 1966, and Donovan heard the rumour three weeks before "Mellow Yellow" was released as a single. According to The Rolling Stone Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll, he admitted later the song made reference to a vibrator; an "electrical banana" as mentioned in the lyrics.[6] This definition was re-affirmed in an interview with NME magazine: "it's about being cool, laid-back, and also the electrical bananas that were appearing on the scene - which were ladies' vibrators."[7]

The phrase "mellow yellow" appears towards the end of James Joyce's novel Ulysses, where it is used to refer to Mrs. Marion Bloom's buttocks.[8] But it is not known if Donovan took the phrase from there"

Right on, Doc. People at the time actually thought you could get high smoking banana skins. I think the craze lasted for about 2 months before people found out it was not true.
Not that I tried it myself, of course. (Embarrassed)

Edited by SteveG - November 23 2014 at 13:41
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 13:42

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The phrase "mellow yellow" appears towards the end of James Joyce's novel [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_%28novel%29" rel="nofollow]Ulysses[/URL], where it is used to refer to Mrs. Marion Bloom's buttocks.<sup ="reference" id="cite_ref-8">[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mellow_Yellow#cite_note-8" rel="nofollow]<span>[</span>8<span>[COLOR=#0066cc" size="2]][/COLOR]</span>[/URL] But it is not known if Donovan took the phrase from there"

I don't believe Donovan ever started a song with "stately, plump Buck Mulligan" either.

Don't know about that but Donovan is quoted in that wiki link so why are we doubting his own comments...?

Considering the phrase I used was the first line of "Ulysses", I see no quote from Donovan stating he read James Joyce. So, no, I'm not doubting Donovan's comments, rather the possible literary link.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 14:00
Aside from Mellow Yellow, there were quite a few pop groups in 1967 that jumped on the Psych band wagon with varying degrees of success. The two that stick out like sore thumbs to me are the singles Incense and Peppermints from The Strawberry Alarm Clock (if that's not a Psych band name, what is?) and Watch The Flowers Grow by Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons. (The later demonstrated that a doo wop group could became gurus of 60's counter culture consciousness, overnight. Not!)  LOL

Edited by SteveG - November 23 2014 at 14:00
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Permy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 15:20
"Psychedelic rock" has been abused/misused more than J....'s Kids.

Would you believe that apparently even Chubby Checker became psychedelic at one point?
Im speaking of the "Chequered" lp which -truth to tell - I could never find in the wild . I could never checkout the degree of psychedelique-ism.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 07:14

It is easy to dismiss that which you do not have any intention of understanding.

Why do people who make that claim have similar problems? LOL

People - including myself - do not WANT to be told certain truths.

And yet you have no problem grandstanding your own.

Truth is NOTHING that came out of the UK is psychedelic music in the truest sense. And if your  automatically thinking America , there was precious little there as well.

Mock psych there is tons, but the real deal, coming mainly out of Texas, was a very slim timeline with mere handfuls of bands.

So only real psychedelia only occurred when following in the vein of Roky Erickson, Tommy Hall and Stacy Sutherland, eh? So much for a church of your own choice.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Now that you mention it, he does remind me of a certain individual tooLOL

That is because it is Knobby morphed into Permy
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 10:42
There have been some very interesting cross-overs from early rock 'n roll crooner to psych belter - just look at Bobby Darin (changed his name to Bob Darin to make it sound like Zimmy), Ricky Nelson, Vicki Carr, Little Richard (the Rill Thing album is a psych-soul classic), Burt Bacharach (well, maybe not his perfoming but rock artists using his songs and psyching them up), and my personal favorite David Axelrod (is he on PA?). 

Donovan is great listening, especially when he broadened his folk to include psych elements.  Still, not a proggy dude, just a hippie
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:49
I have no problem with Donovan being included on progarchives.  In his own way he was just as experimental as The Move and, dare I say it, the Moody Blues.  Hurdy Gurdy Man is still a cool record.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 13:20
"Hurdy Gurdy Man" was a Psychedelic Rock song that Steve Hillage covered in the 70's. Basically what you have is Steve Hillage from Gong and Clive Bunker ex-Jethro Tull drummer and other members of the Hillage band performing "Hurdy Gurdy Man" which is telling. When listening back to the song, I can almost hear the Gong band doing a version of it with Daevid Allen on vocals. Gong was a Progressive Space Rock band that took on many Jazz elements and also included a full dosage of Psychedelic Rock. Maybe Steve Hillage doing a cover of a Donovan song tells us that Donovan's material is respected and if were re-done by other Prog artists, could reveal what is a mystery about him. Because he appealed to a "Pop" audience could mean less to what his personal image and creativity was all about. That might be why a progger like Steve Hillage would cover one of his songs. Apart from the fact that he may have simply liked the song, it could mean more than that to him or members of Gong. Technically..Donovan is connected to the Prog world in that way because Hillage is not some fly by night Progressive Rock writer...especially when he wrote GREEN. So,...apart from realizing that he personally liked the song, an interest may exist within the Prog community of musicians. Donovan wrote interesting chord changes along with an element of unusually sounding vocal chords..as he was a good singer, but was more in link with a Nick Drake, (to some extent), or The Zombies. Those two concepts are an important part of Progressive Rock.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 13:42
Connecting Donovan to the Progressive Rock world means researching very premature elements developing early on around the time of Syd Barrett and possibly earlier than that. Premature stages of music development to later be applied to a new structure/form of Rock music called Progressive Rock. The next thing to do is to research the 60's. I can easily find "hooks" played in 70's Progressive Rock by listening to a Booker T and the MG's record. I can also hear it in the guitar playing of The Ventures, but these are stages of playing that had just been born when they were being placed into Rock. Many variations of this type of playing had been influenced by Classical music, Swing music and even popular music of the 1920's which is what 10CC made an adaption of. The first time it was revisited and changed for Rock music it revealed elements and the usage of diversity for a tool to expand music in general. That is what Progressive Rock was all about. It is totally understandable as to how and why Progressive Rock carried all the premature developmental musical playing of the 60's. 

To observe the details of it to back your theory, you can start by listening to Holst, The Planets. The first sound you will immediately identify with will be on Mercury, The Bringer Of War which is directly connected to "The Devil's Triangle" by King Crimson and shortly after that you might hear something that influenced Renaissance followed by "The Profit" by Tony Banks off The Yes Album. "Joy Bringer" from Manfred Mann's Earthband..Solar Fire is present along with many sections that were no doubt, intentionally lifted/borrowed by Progressive Rock bands in the 70's. This is a good method of training your ear as well. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 14:02
In the music of the 60's, there are many signature lines and melodies which influenced Progressive Rock that are not obvious to the ear. Maybe you're doing a review and desire to make detailed points that you want to back up with examples. The best method of training your ear to do this is to start listening to The Doors and picking out whenever Jim Morrison starts singing like Frank Sinatra. You can start with "Touch Me" , "You're Lost Little Girl" and several others. After your ear develops a bit more, you'll be able to more easily pick out the guitar line in the center of the song "Airborne" by Camel which is the one used for "Flying" by The Beatles. 
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2014 at 15:13
I think there could be a case made for Donovan having an influence on prog. Everybody immediately thinks of him as a psychedelic folkie but don't forget he was into the Beats as well. "The Observation" sounds like it was written at City Lights Book Store and immediately performed next door at Vesuvio. He even did a whole album in 2004 honoring that heritage called "Beat Cafe." That blending of styles and ethos could definitely been seen as an influence on the prog artists who followed.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 11:25
My definition of prog is pretty wide when it comes to psych bands but other than his mellotron drenched "Breezes of Patchuli" I've never heard much prog in Donovan.  A lot of very cool and adventurous psych (and also folk in his early career) though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123