Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What would you like to have discussed about Prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat would you like to have discussed about Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What would you like to have discussed about Prog?
    Posted: October 04 2014 at 15:20
What subjects, topics, genres, bands, musicians or anything else relating to Prog music that would you like to have discussed? In other words, what's on your mind?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 15:37
Which Krautrock bands specific 19th century German Idealist philosophers would have listened to if they were alive today.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 16:33
To what extent can composition occur after the performance, rather than before?
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Anoraknok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 17:26
Well I'd be happy if there was more about modern underground scene and less about 'who's balls are bigger, Rush or King Crimson's' or 'who moves fingers faster, Petrucci or Lifeson'. I mean those all are legends and  we know it, but its getting old. Too old.

maxsmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 17:44
Music must evolve and adapt to the current environment of public consumption.  The underground will be the domain of creativity.  
Anoraknok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 17:48
Interesting point. If you notice the pattern on social networks, it seems that progressive community revolve around the same old holy cows, whose images and icons emerge recurrently.
Quality wise, let alone novelty-wise, modern progressive and avant-garde underground deserves - and needs attention. All these holy cows of prog mostly have enough money to support themselves. They don't need us to sell their creations. Underground artist do.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 17:56
How would the classic composers of the 19th century respond to the interpretations of their music by progessive artists. I heard the interview clip from Aaron Copland about Fanfare knowing that he had lived through the transformation of modern music. How shocked would Liszt, Wagner, Bartok or Mussorgsky be at hearing their compositions in the manner of ELP, Par Lindh or even ELO?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Anoraknok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 18:04
I think I have an answer, JD.
If we'd attach the dynamo generators to their coffins, it'd provide the electricity to the entire state.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 18:09
Will the old bands continue as tribute bands after all the original members have passed?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
maxsmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 18:15
I always felt that music is more about feeling than sound.  The best music is the kind that gets into your head and doesn't leave.  Gentle Giant is one example of a band that stretched the boundaries of progressive music.  They are still viable today as much as contemporary music such as Porcupine Tree.  When the bends get you, you are done.  Kerry, where are you?  The logical extension of an idea.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 18:59
Originally posted by Anoraknok Anoraknok wrote:

I think I have an answer, JD.
If we'd attach the dynamo generators to their coffins, it'd provide the electricity to the entire state.

So what you're saying is..."Roll Over Beethoven". Got it!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 19:04

Well I'd be happy if there was more about modern underground scene and less about 'who's balls are bigger, Rush or King Crimson's' or 'who moves fingers faster, Petrucci or Lifeson'. I mean those all are legends and  we know it, but its getting old. Too old.

Agree, but to be fair, topics about the modern underground do come up pretty often. Problem is, they don't survive long because they have a smaller audience. The "what are you listening to?" thread is nice because you come across a lot of random albums there, and sometimes I ask about them and end up making a discovery I would not have made otherwise. But a whole thread for such a band would not survive long.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 19:18
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

How would the classic composers of the 19th century respond to the interpretations of their music by progessive artists. I heard the interview clip from Aaron Copland about Fanfare knowing that he had lived through the transformation of modern music. How shocked would Liszt, Wagner, Bartok or Mussorgsky be at hearing their compositions in the manner of ELP, Par Lindh or even ELO? 

I think Liszt would be excited. He was not only a "classic classical" composer and pianist, but (allegedly) a rock-star-like showman of the day, who enjoyed pushing the boundaries. Thumbs Up

I am not sure about Wagner, or even about which one of them? I think there were 2 (?)

Bartók, as in Béla, would be a 20th century composer rather than a 19th century one, so he doesn't count here (unless there was another, non-Béla Bartók earlier?)

Mussorgsky, probably, wouldn't care: he is said to have been either drunk, or depressed most of his life Shocked

Edited by Argonaught - October 04 2014 at 19:20
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2014 at 19:26
When the mainstream prog bands (mainly from the seventies) will no longer be the most present in the PA Forum threads? I don't know if the same happens to the other prog rock forums.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 02:44
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Agree, but to be fair, topics about the modern underground do come up pretty often. Problem is, they don't survive long because they have a smaller audience. The "what are you listening to?" thread is nice because you come across a lot of random albums there, and sometimes I ask about them and end up making a discovery I would not have made otherwise. But a whole thread for such a band would not survive long.

When I discover a good new band who aren't particularly famous on an international level, I also usually start a new thread about them but I haven't really had time to go exploring for new artists in a while nor had time to digest obscure new music. For the most part I'm actually somewhat satisfied with those threads, though I sometimes wish they'd go to more than 1 page of replies more often. I do wonder if there might be a generation gap going on with the older posters, though, since the more interesting modern progressive music projects are usually those that aren't just 1970s throwbacks.

There are actually a few interesting more obscure artists I've wanted to start threads about, but have either been too busy or too lazy to do so. What do you say that I start one tonight?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Anoraknok View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 04:08
I'd be definitely curious. They do need support more than any band with a huge fan base.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 05:07
I'll have a thread about Aluk Todolo online in the Bands/Artists/Genres forum later today, then, but I first need to write a lengthy opening post explaining why I find their signature style so interesting... which will take some time. They're probably the band on PA I've been listening to the most over the course of this autumn season, and I find them deserving of not just a bigger audience than they enjoy themselves but so many other music projects from a similar background.

In the meantime, you might want to peruse the reviews of RateYourMusic user HorseMouth. Despite being only 19 years old, he seems to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of 1960s/1970s avantgarde/experimental music and not just prog/psych rock but also free jazz and early electronic music.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 08:07
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

I think Liszt would be excited. He was not only a "classic classical" composer and pianist, but (allegedly) a rock-star-like showman of the day, who enjoyed pushing the boundaries. Thumbs Up

I am not sure about Wagner, or even about which one of them? I think there were 2 (?)

Bartók, as in Béla, would be a 20th century composer rather than a 19th century one, so he doesn't count here (unless there was another, non-Béla Bartók earlier?)

Mussorgsky, probably, wouldn't care: he is said to have been either drunk, or depressed most of his life Shocked

Point of fact: Bartok was born in 1881, so that put's him in the 19th century. I understand you are probably thinking more about when his compositions were written.

I guess the question will always remain, would their expectations be that a composition be performed faithfully to the score or could the composers of that era appreciate the sometimes massive shift in arrangements and , let's say, "sound" that modern prog artists, with their funky electronic noises, put forth? I think Emerson would have been branded a witch and burned at the stake along side his monster Moog. LOL
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 09:39

Point of fact: Bartok was born in 1881, so that put's him in the 19th century. 

Paul, John, George and Ringo were all born in the early 1940s. Does this make the Beatles a WWII-era band?

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2014 at 10:32
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

What subjects, topics, genres, bands, musicians or anything else relating to Prog music that would you like to have discussed? In other words, what's on your mind?

Have we ever really determined how we define  prog rock ...?

Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>