Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWould Elvis Have Liked Modern Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 1.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would Elvis Have Liked Modern Prog?
    Posted: October 07 2014 at 10:33

WhenI first saw ELP in concort, Keith Emerson did his patented stage antics which inclued Keith jamming  a knife between the keys of  his Hammond before going all Jerry Lee Lewis on us and tipping  the organ onto himself and paying the thing upside down and backwards. Jerry Lee  would certainly  have been pround .

To me, this was the logical result of Rock 'n' Roll morphing into  Prog music, Technical nous mixed with the emtional gusto. But after the initial early rock 'n' blast blast in prog, the music became more serious, with one well know gutiarist refusing to perform unless
his was sitting down to play play on stage,Don't worry, hold outs like Frank Zappa still payed by to the tune of the a different drummer; but many Prog bands embrased a more formal persona and starting giving
concerts that were more akin to clsssical recitals that to a
rock concert. Would Elvis have understood  modern prog or would
he have rejected it's lack of passion and simply left the building?     

Edited by SteveG - October 07 2014 at 15:15
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 11:03
Is Elvis dead?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 11:46
Elvis killed punk music.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 11:53
Elvis is a watermelon.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 12:02
Chicago's current bassist/singer is Jason Scheff, and his father Jerry Scheff played bass and toured with Elvis...so possibly Elvis may have been keen on the jazzy rock of Chicago type bands.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 12:33
One Elvis anecdote I remember reading (forgot where, sorry) suggested that Presley had a pretty offbeat sense of humor, suggesting he may have had a taste for unusual stuff off the beaten path.  Apart from that, I don't know enough about Elvis to venture a guess.  I probably have a broader knowledge of Elvis Costello, in case his name comes up.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 12:38
I don't really understand the question, at least not in the way you've asked it. Elvis and his contemporaries were alive and active during the progressive rock heyday, so the question really isn't relevant. Regardless, I don't think the showmanship of Keith Emerson is suitable to form a basis for Elvis's possible feelings about prog rock.

I see very few artistic parallels between early rock music (Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, etc) and what eventually became prog rock. While our beloved prog musicians most likely enjoyed the aforementioned artists, there is little reason to believe the opposite would be true.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 15:09
^"Would Elvis have understood modern Prog?" Was the question. Care to try the scenario again without Elvis being present.

Edited by SteveG - October 07 2014 at 15:28
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 15:22
Lets cut ot the chase. Does the early wild abandon of Rock 'N' Rock still manifests itself in Prog Rock, or has the Prog music world became a distant unrecognible relative of it's manic ground breaking Devil may care forerunner?

Edited by SteveG - October 07 2014 at 15:59
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 15:30
I really have never heard such a silly question or proposition.

The "early wild abandon of rock and roll", as you put it, can be heard in the early wild abandon of every generation of rock and pop music since the era you start with. It's the kids, man......

I seriously doubt whether the likes of Chris Squire would have liked modern Yes in their yoof. Yes were quite the revolutionaries in their earlier days, and are now old men. They make music which is more suited to the....ahem.....more mature audience.

Devil may care is a young man's game. It is a rare creature that continues that into their maturity. They are usually utterly barking when they do.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 15:38
^I guess you never witnessd Emerson stab his Hammond keyboard with a knife or never witnessed Jon Lord do a hand stand on his?

Does prog inevitably take the fun out of music because few, some but few, prog performers do that now. I guess anything that questions Prog's integrity to some people would be viewed as silly.

Edited by SteveG - October 07 2014 at 15:41
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 16:41
I really do not think Elvis had much idea about "prog or psychedelic rock" when he was living. Did he know who Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes were, KC and maybe a few others...Probably.

As much as people see him as the king of Rock n Roll, I think he had deep love and passion for country/western, blues, R&B and heavy into gospel music.

I don't think he would have cared much about modern prog or thought that Jerry Lee Lewis type rockabilly morphed into prog rock, which I don't think it did.

I suspect he would not cared at all for today's modern rock, pop and especially hip/hop.

All IMHO
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 16:54
Elvis only likes Neo.
Magma America Great Make Again
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 18:48
[QUOTE=SteveG] ^I guess you never witnessd Emerson stab his Hammond keyboard with a knife or never witnessed Jon Lord do a hand stand on his?
QUOTE]

But these are examples from the early days of prog and you specified the topic was modern prog.    Jon Lord has now gone to the great gig in the sky and Keith Emerson is far from a spring chicken. I am 54 years old and I've never seen these things. A more precise and illuminating question would be whether Elvis liked ELP, Yes, Tull, King Crimson, etc. when he was alive. Note that all of these examples presented sounds wildly divergent from one another, so if Elvis liked one he would not necessarily have to like another. There may a record of that somewhere. Did someone ever ask him? Did he give any opinions on Aqualung, Roundabout, or Money?   Does liking or appreciating one song imply that one must also like everything else by the same artist? Is the question really about prog not being fun or wild anymore? And who says it is or isn't?
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 18:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I really do not think Elvis had much idea about "prog or psychedelic rock" when he was living. Did he know who Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes were, KC and maybe a few others...Probably.

As much as people see him as the king of Rock n Roll, I think he had deep love and passion for country/western, blues, R&B and heavy into gospel music.

I don't think he would have cared much about modern prog or thought that Jerry Lee Lewis type rockabilly morphed into prog rock, which I don't think it did.

I suspect he would not cared at all for today's modern rock, pop and especially hip/hop.

All IMHO

^^This.  You win.
calm_sea View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 19:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I guess you never witnessd Emerson stab his Hammond keyboard with a knife or never witnessed Jon Lord do a hand stand on his?

This doesn't really have much to do with liking the actual genre of music though, does it?  Just because someone might appreciate the showmanship of a couple early bands does not mean they liked the music from a sonic perspective.  I've seen plenty of live shows (Beck for example) where I didn't really care for the music but enjoyed the production (sound, stage set up, lighting, etc) and the performance.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 19:09
How would Genghis Khan feel about golf?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 19:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

How would Genghis Khan feel about golf?

Hitler and Krautrock

Bridgemakers and Crossover Prog

Mailmen and Post-Rock

Volcanoes and Magma

Weightlifters and Heavy Prog

Tongue
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 19:29
Would Elvis' pelvis like prog?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2014 at 19:29
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

[QUOTE=SteveG] ^I guess you never witnessd Emerson stab his Hammond keyboard with a knife or never witnessed Jon Lord do a hand stand on his?
QUOTE]

But these are examples from the early days of prog and you specified the topic was modern prog.    Jon Lord has now gone to the great gig in the sky and Keith Emerson is far from a spring chicken. I am 54 years old and I've never seen these things. A more precise and illuminating question would be whether Elvis liked ELP, Yes, Tull, King Crimson, etc. when he was alive. Note that all of these examples presented sounds wildly divergent from one another, so if Elvis liked one he would not necessarily have to like another. There may a record of that somewhere. Did someone ever ask him? Did he give any opinions on Aqualung, Roundabout, or Money?   Does liking or appreciating one song imply that one must also like everything else by the same artist? Is the question really about prog not being fun or wild anymore? And who says it is or isn't?
The Progman has hit the nail on the head again (as usual). With most of the fun theatrics in Prog no longer available due to those that quit it or passed on and with no new ones to take up the mantle.

Does Prog Still Evoke The Spirit of Rock 'n Roll? Because that's the only way Elvis would have liked it.

But enougth about Elvis, his pelvis (lol) and his fried banana sandwiches:

Is Progressive Music Still Fun for Fans?

Edited by SteveG - October 07 2014 at 19:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>