Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink FLoyd - The Endless River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 21:04
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

We had a couple of live Floyd albums released just three years ago.  There's no hurry.  Save the old stuff for release in future decades so that fans as-yet unborn will have something new to excite them.  We have the Endless River to excite us.

I disagree. Future generations for the most part won't give a toss about music released in the 70s. Nor should they. They'll be listening to the stuff that's new and relevant for their time and that has an immediacy that speaks to them. So... I hope this stuff comes out soon, before I'm too old to give a toss meself LOL

<span style="font-size: 11.8181819915771px; line-height: 15.27272605896px;"></span><strong style="font-size: 11.8181819915771px; line-height: 15.27272605896px;"><span style="font-size: 11.8181819915771px; line-height: 15.27272605896px;"></span>

If they shouldn't give a toss about it then neither should any of us now.  But we do, and they will.  What's the difference?

The difference is that I want to be able to hear and enjoy those new releases, if I'm dead, I won't care about them.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:29
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Grumpy old man alert!! Why didn't Floyd include this with the Division Bell box set reissue??

That would have been awesome! (on vinyl of course)

Hm, because it's a completely new album perhaps?
Is there any example in the history of rock music where an artist is hanging a new album on to a rerelease of an older one? 

Anyway, to Jude and Dellinger; there will be a new Gilmour album next year and he will try to include some of the jams he did with Rick. There's not much recorded though and the rumoured new album that Rick was working on is just that, a rumour. According to his son in law, Guy Prat, he had barely started, there's no material to work on.

Oh well, it's great to know that... though perhaps a bit disapointing... the bit about Rick's album, for I had expecting at some point it might come out... but at least now I know that's not happening and I cand put the idea and hopes aside. And the Gilmour's album bit is indeed great, and if he is using the jams he did with Wright, that's even better, whatever much he may be able to use... though I would think the available jams aren't so few. I heard 1 or 2 jams, I think, on the "Remember that Night" or "Live in Gdansk" releases, and I understand there were 2 or 3 more, so there's some material to use (though not enough to fill an album, clearly, but he could get some songs out of them). Now that you seem to have been able to get some information that I had been wanting to know for sure, by chance you don't know what's going on with Water's new album?

Water's has been talking of his new album for at least ten years now. I believe it when I see it. LOL

Yeah, I know, I believe I read about it... about 10 years ago, actually. Something about a concept of the stories heard by a taxi driver, and something about it being a double album, one CD with songs about war and the other about love. Something about it using the two new songs he was playing during the tour from the early 2000's (Each Small Candle and Flickering Flame... I guess now one could add Leaving Beirut and I don't remember if he has released some other new song, but surely he already has at least enough music for half an album).

His latest song is called "If I had Been God" and was played live before a tribunal on Palestine.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoUG8bXp2CU

Errr...yeah. Ermm

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:57
[QUOTE=SteveG]

Grumpy old man alert no. 2!! Why didn't Floyd include this with the Division Bell box set reissue as this is an outtake called The Big Splif ??

Edited by SteveG - October 21 2014 at 10:51
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 11:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

[QUOTE=SteveG]

Grumpy old man alert no. 2!! Why didn't Floyd include this with the Division Bell box set reissue as this is an outtake called The Big Splif ??

Good point.....I have only heard one track on you tube and I was not impressed. Unless I find a used copy it will not be in my collection.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 13:32
I've never been a fan of "The Division Bell", so I doubt I'll like the leftover/unused material very much, but either way it'll be great for them to bring out another album. It's a lot better than nothing though, and I'm looking forward to it Smile
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:07
The Endless River will be around a long time after we have graced this fine earth. Embrace or dismiss either way it is here to stay..................spirit of the water
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 14:41
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

The Endless River will be around a long time after we have graced this fine earth. Embrace or dismiss either way it is here to stay..................spirit of the water
Ok, then. I choose dismiss..Tongue
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:52
Is it too obscene to be talking about sales figures yet? The biggest selling album is Ed Sheeran's "X" album.
It sold 182,000 copies in it's first week and has gone on to sell in excess of 634,000 copies.*

I reckon "The Endless River" will match 182,000 copies in it's first week!

*=According to this http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-selling-artist-albums-of-2014-so-far-3169/

I reckon it's 435,000 by January UK sales alone.

Edited by AZF - October 21 2014 at 16:53
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 20:14
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Is it too obscene to be talking about sales figures yet?

Considering the state of the 'music industry' in general, maybe not: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/none-2014s-music-gone-platinum-4473318

Edited by jude111 - October 22 2014 at 20:19
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 09:07
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 21:43
I was just thinking a bit about what's been revealed from this album, and I feel there's a wasted oportunity I wish that had come to pass. I think Gilmour should have got the collaboration of Steven Wilson on the production, mixing, or whatever he could have helped. Surely Wilson would have been honored, and given how much and well he worked ambient and largely instrumental music with early Porcupine Tree, I would think he could have really contributed nicely to the album.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 23:59

His latest song is called "If I had Been God" and was played live before a tribunal on Palestine.

Fixed.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 23 2014 at 23:59
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 09:56
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Fixed.

Oh, thanks. I wasn't aware that the link didn't work. Embarrassed
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 11:41

I was just thinking a bit about what's been revealed from this album, and I feel there's a wasted oportunity I wish that had come to pass. I think Gilmour should have got the collaboration of Steven Wilson on the production, mixing, or whatever he could have helped. Surely Wilson would have been honored, and given how much and well he worked ambient and largely instrumental music with early Porcupine Tree, I would think he could have really contributed nicely to the album.

I am pretty happy with Andy Jackson as the engineer, his work on both Division Bell issues, original and the 2014 reissue, is pretty stellar IMO.
Keeping Andy in the mix I think he understands what Pink Floyd wants the final outcome to sound like....He is a two-time Grammy nominee for engineering on Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

What might be interesting is having SW remix other Pink Floyd albums like Animals, Meddle, AHM...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 14:25
^Great idea. Especially with Animals, which always sounded stale to me no matter who remastered it.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 15:44

Why would The Floyd need Wilson? For remasters? I think Wilson probs is top dog these days but really Floyd only really ever used Ezrin and Manzanera aint half bad. Floyd more or less always done their own thing.

TBH I would rather see Waters collaborate with Wilson but more chance of that happening on the golf course.

<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 23:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I am pretty happy with Andy Jackson as the engineer, his work on both Division Bell issues, original and the 2014 reissue, is pretty stellar IMO.
Keeping Andy in the mix I think he understands what Pink Floyd wants the final outcome to sound like....He is a two-time Grammy nominee for engineering on Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

What might be interesting is having SW remix other Pink Floyd albums like Animals, Meddle, AHM...

Perhaps it would be even better if Steven Wilson were to remix Ummagumma
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 23:06
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Why would The Floyd need Wilson? For remasters? I think Wilson probs is top dog these days but really Floyd only really ever used Ezrin and Manzanera aint half bad. Floyd more or less always done their own thing.

TBH I would rather see Waters collaborate with Wilson but more chance of that happening on the golf course.

Yeah, also a collaboration with Waters would be great... though indeed unlikely - Waters just wants to do his own thing. It would be more likely (and still highly unlikely) that he could end up teaming up with Gilmour. However it were, Wilson and most, or any, part of Porcupine Tree (specially with the first drummer) would work wonderfully with either Waters or Gilmour, I believe they could make some really beautiful music if they got into it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 06:23
I have the VHS of the Venice gig.....
.........I thought it was more 'intimate' and realistic, when compared to the Delicate Sound extravaganza.
I also have some video footage of a Japan gig around the time of David's first solo album. Pretty cool stuff for sure.
I am looking forward to 'The Endless River' like you wouldn't believe. I'm certain it will garner quite high praise.......
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I also have some video footage of a Japan gig around the time of David's first solo album.

Are you sure?  Pink Floyd played in Japan in 1971 &1972, then not again until 1988.  Gilmour's first album was in 1978, and his second was in 1984. 
rotten hound of the burnie crew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>