Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink FLoyd - The Endless River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 21:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I doubt I'll ever get around to reviewing it, Tom, I think you nailed it there by saying that it probably doesn't need any more, although we know they'll keep coming!

You speak very fairly of the album, and in many ways I feel exactly the same way. It's perfectly lovely, respectable, with a few standout moments popping up here and there, and plenty of sublime ambient passages throughout. It's a very dignified and respectable send-off to Rick (who, lets face it, gets the one or two real standout moments on it), and it certainly doesn't come close to tarnishing the `brand name'.

Strangely, though, as I've kept listening to it over and over these past weeks, I find it not grabbing me enough to keep wanting to return to it much more, after that initial excitement and sense of relief ("Phew, it doesn't suck...." )

In some ways, it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, a shame that they didn't work on a few more of the `fragments' and develop them better, with a few seeming to drift by without leaving much of an impression at all. I also find it very strange that there's many moments throughout that instantly remind of `The Wall', which I kind of figured the band would stay away from due to it being so closely associated with Roger?

But the only moment that actually turns my stomach on it is that awful sax solo, it's about half way through the disc, I forget the actual track name it appears on, but it's quite cheesy and AOR. Damn, was Dick Perry busy?! He would have offered something more restrained and subtle.

I think Dick Parry was indeed busy, but it would seem to me that it would have been important for them to do more about geting him on the album... in the end, he is just as important to the Pink Floyd sound on those songs that feature sax. However, I'm afraid I still haven't been able to get this album, I hope by next week I should have been able to hear it, and then I'll know how much I miss Dick Parry or not.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 21:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ and^^ and ^^^.... Sorry, Mr Pedantic here, Mr PArry, not PErry - sax.   Anyway, nit-picking aside, Endless River is quite nice - Come in here dear boy, have a king-size cigarette coz there's no cigar here.....
I respect what the (remaining) 'band' have done here, great stuff, and a lot of thoughtful and dignified work has gone into it. It's not 'Dad-Prog', it's worlds away from Heaven And Earth, I say it's a bona-fide 4 star album, and I can also see why it's mainly instrumental...........
.............Without dear Rick present, it would be a fallacy to stretch these snippets out any further without b*****dising the whole affair. They worked with what they have, and the results are nothing less than superb. I'm amazed that in the credits Rick had his old Farfisa organ, not to mention David adding VCS3 synth sounds to several tracks. They truly were doing 'what they do' when it comes to creating magical music.
BTW, I loved the Gilmour 'Barn Jams', and wished there'd be an albums worth of tunes there........
God bless Richard Wright, the very reason I fell for Floyd all those years ago, and God bless Pink Floyd, the Masters Of Sonic Bliss.......

I've read that Gilmour intends to use some more recording with Wright on his next solo album... perhaps he'll end up using those barn jams then.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 23:29
The album is over 53 minutes long, yet it all just effortlessly flows by, but the river ends way to soon. Overall, a beautiful and thoughtful album. Still, I do wonder what the 'regular' folks (when I say that, I mean those who dig Floyd, but not into Prog...) think of this offering......
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 23:56
^ Regular folks??? Most perplexingSmile

How many regular folks come in here who are not into prog? RYM might be a mediocre average rate site.

I put it this way......" It's what we do" is as good as any previous material they have ever done before. I find this album reminds me of " More", funnily enough. A mixed bag of solid material, could have made another good soundtrack. So 3-4 stars, I will probably go 4 stars cos it does have the modern day feel to it that whilst being frigging awesome it also holds up well in hotel foyers and transit lounges for background music. Blended babbling brooks.....
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 00:46
Regular folk I take to meaning the FM radio listeners/commercial rock fans who embraced the band for `Money', `Wish You Were Here', `The Wall' and `Momentary Lapse of Reason', etc?

I assume they've mostly ignored the album altogether, as there's not much (except the `song' at the end) that could be embraced by commercial radio and oldies station formats?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 00:53
Yes - the 'mainstream' crowd. There was no intention of dissing any member of the public....
Anyway, we are all very lucky to have been graced by this gift, and we shall embrace it, however much it moves us (or not).......
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 00:56

Yes - the 'mainstream' crowd. There was no intention of dissing any member of the public....
Anyway, we are all very lucky to have been graced by this gift, and we shall embrace it, however much it moves us (or not).......
I second what Tom says! Ditto, we were hungry for this! ClapHeart embrace yes absolutely aka Hug
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 01:46
Yes, we were all waiting for something like this to happen. I think it was even a trip down memory lane for the guys too.
I wonder what Roger's thoughts are on this monumental release....
Oh - Hi Kati
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 02:00

Yes, we were all waiting for something like this to happen. I think it was even a trip down memory lane for the guys too.
I wonder what Roger's thoughts are on this monumental release....
Oh - Hi Kati
\
Yay hello Tom HugHeart 
In a way I feel a pity that Waters did not collaborate on this album. I am liking this album a lot I must admit. Waters is PF and Gilmor is PF, both together were magic, even if they disliked each other Stern Smile they were magic together, Hug
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 02:05
^ Impeccably correct, my Dear. Waters on bass would've done wonders for TER, but as it is, I love it. Just finished the album, now I proceed to Yes - Heaven And Earth........
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 02:10

^ Impeccably correct, my Dear. Waters on bass would've done wonders for TER, but as it is, I love it. Just finished the album, now I proceed to Yes - Heaven And Earth........
Yep and he did beyond bass, Tom Heart besides music strategy the lyrics and vocal emphasis especially in sync with the musical tunes he is amazing. Amused to Death plus Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking both great solo albums that come to my mind ApproveThumbs UpHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 02:15

Tom this is for you, have a listen Thumbs UpHug Clapton kills it here and prior to this I was not a fan of him xxx
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 02:56
^ Always loved Waters' vocal delivery in this one. Powerful.
Pros And Cons, awesome, awesome, awesome !! Agree, best Clapton performance ever. Don't mind Cream, more for Jack Bruce than the others but there you go. Thanks
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 03:06

^ Always loved Waters' vocal delivery in this one. Powerful.
Pros And Cons, awesome, awesome, awesome !! Agree, best Clapton performance ever. Don't mind Cream, more for Jack Bruce than the others but there you go. Thanks
Indeedy you sweet thing! Embarrassed And again Waters in Amused to Death with Jeff Beck, he is brilliant really Hug mhwoaaahhxxxx to youk, Tom xx
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 03:44
Amused To Death.
It's A Miracle is the best solo Waters song EVER !!
Have you seen the Waters DVD called 'In The Flesh' ? He even performs Dogs on it !!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 03:50

Amused To Death.
It's A Miracle is the best solo Waters song EVER !!
Have you seen the Waters DVD called 'In The Flesh' ? He even performs Dogs on it !!
I do not have the dvd, Jeff Beck never performed ;ive with him and it's a pity really Smile here for you, Tom Hug
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 04:01
^ You ripper
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 04:02

^ You ripper
you cute thing! hugs Hug
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 09:30

The album is over 53 minutes long, yet it all just effortlessly flows by, but the river ends way to soon. Overall, a beautiful and thoughtful album. Still, I do wonder what the 'regular' folks (when I say that, I mean those who dig Floyd, but not into Prog...) think of this offering......

It might be useful to read the comments at amazon.com regarding the album, since most commenters are probably not PA members or prog fans per se. I took a look at it a week ago or so and it seemed most were very positive comments.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 17:40
The more I spin this album, the more I am loving it. The first few times seemed a little fragmented, but being more acquainted with the material proposed here, the more 'complete' the album feels. Classic Floyd, all the way.
Some small, trivial details I'd like to mention - did anyone pick the 'riff' in 9/8 during the fade out to Louder Than Words ?? And the last 20 or so seconds of Talkin' Hawkin', Wright's Farfisa organ notes which sound like they've been lifted straight off of Piper ??
Also, nice to hear the spacey twittering of the VCS3 synth on various pieces. A lot of consideration and effort went into this project, it's just wonderful to have another true-to-form Pink Floyd album to lap up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>