Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink FLoyd - The Endless River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 05:16
I think this year I've listened to this album more than the other Pink Floyd albums. 
And I've still yet to buy the blu-Ray!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2015 at 21:20
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Wonderful critisism this -  "it sounds like Pink Floyd". Yeah, how awful! Pig
this thread is not redundant yet.......
I wouldn't want TER to sound like anyone else except Floyd. Gilmour and his band mates succeeded. Again.

You are once again right as rain my friend.
I live the album and I have gotten quite a bit out of it. Very sedative and immersive.
Love that blu-ray.
You know, it's hard to believe (for me, anyway), that anyone could rate TER under a 3. I mean, it's not a genuine 'masterpiece of Prog', but I can see why some folks award it a 5.....
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 14:05
After a long hesitation I got the album, and it's a source of mixed feelings.
It's not a 'normal' PF album and as such it would be unfair to judge it as such.
The music is good yet unexciting, clearly replicating what people expect from a PF sound. Too many references to earlier PF songs.
But, we get to hear Wright more prominent than in other releases, and yes, it's good, pleasant, and just the fact that it's a tribute to Wright (RIP) and that we can hear some music which would otherwise have remained unreleased is great.
Surely a 3.5 stars in PA's rating system. I really like it but with the passing of time I don't think I will listen to it as much as to PF's 'real' good albums, it will probably gather dust for most of the time.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 14:54
^ Better late than never......
Maybe in time, and a few more spins, it will hit you when you're in the right mood and it won't gather dust......
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 15:07
Well if Endless River does not 'rock your boat' , former PF producer Andy Jackson has a darker, murkier option in 'Signal to Noise', still awaiting inclusion into PA. Look it up ! 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 09:28
Just read on Manzanera's web site that he co-produced 'River. He's grown mellow over the years, but I now want to hear this album more than ever.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 10:40
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Well if Endless River does not 'rock your boat' , former PF producer Andy Jackson has a darker, murkier option in 'Signal to Noise', still awaiting inclusion into PA. Look it up ! 

Just saw this and was not aware of this and sounds worthy of investigating.  It is available on iTunes and Amazon.

Also saw a post that got no love in PA back in 2014.
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=100415

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 11:55
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Just saw this and was not aware of this and sounds worthy of investigating.  It is available on iTunes and Amazon.

Also saw a post that got no love in PA back in 2014.

Just checked, and it's on Spotify too. Listening to it now.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 04:05
Bit of a bump on this thread, but I'm still spinning this speciality, and getting a lot out of it, don't deny its worth......
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 07:53
Pink Floyd have a new album out?????? Is Jon Anderson on it?
Magma America Great Make Again
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 08:09
^ you mean Yoko Ono? 
Thank you, Fripp, for our daily Prog (Red 39:54)
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 08:32
Yoko and Jon are both on the new Floyd...Shocked Autobuy!!!
Magma America Great Make Again
Alsdally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 10:44
I have listened to this album on a daily basis since it was released.  I love the fact that it was based on jam demos like they used to in the old days.  Mind you I'm one of those people who is absolutely enthralled with the live disc from Ummagumma and have beena fan of Tangerine Dream since I heard them in my early teens and I am now in my 50 so the mostly instrumental aspect of the album is to me one of the strongest points.  I love the sound, the way each piece segues into another like Atom Heart Mother and the bits that sound so much like what this band did in the past (without I think being intentional about it, its just who they are when they are focused on the music)  This album is brilliant and I absolutely love it to death.  I might even have them play it at my funeral in the far distant future.  My wife hates it but she'll have to get used to it lol.

AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 13:50
Still playing and loving it. And it gets more satisfying with every listen. (But still not bought the Blu ray yet!)
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2015 at 10:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I was just thinking something about this album, and The Division Bell. Well, I must begin by saying that I actually really love TDB, it's my 3rd favourite from the band and easily a 5 star album. And I really liked The Endless River a lot, a really nice surprise (even though I had a fairly good idea about how it would be because of all the previous info on it), and it is mostly full of wonderful music, easily a 4 star album (if I were just in the right mood I might even think about it as a 5 star one, but I thin it's got a few issues that won't allow it to get there). However, perhaps, if the band had been in a more album proggy mind at the time of releasing TDB, and in less of a song based album, they could have actually used many of the ideas that ended up on TER, perhaps left out a few of the weaker song on TDB, and made an album with more instrumental and ambient passages, and ended up going into a sound closer to their 70's masterpieces. I just made my list combining my favourite parts from both albums, and it actually sounds very nice in such order... it sounds like The Division Bell... but even better. Perhaps if TDB had ended up with a tracklist similar to this:
1. Things left unsaid / It's what we do / Ebb and flow.
2. Poles apart.
3. Marooned.
4. A great day for freedom.
5. Wearing the inside out.
6. Sum / Skins.
7. Coming back to life.
8. Night light / Allons-Y / Autumn 68 / Allons-Y.
9. Keep Talking.
10. Talkin' Hawkin'.
11. Calling / Eyes to pearls / Surfacing.
12. High Hopes.

Such album would go up to around 84 min... so it might need some editing, or else, making it a double album. And even more, perhaps if some of the instrumental passages on TER would have been merged with some of the songs on TDB, it could have gone to an even higher final achievement. Such as, I could easily imagine Poles Apart blending beautifully with Calling / Eyes to Pearls / Surfacing (between EtP and Surfacing). Then Sum / Skins could blend into Coming Back to life (or else, it might have been made into a song with Take it Back, perhaps dividing Take it Back in two parts, one in the middle of Sum, and the other at the end of Skins). And Keep Talking could have been made one with Talking Hawkin (perhaps even getting "The Lost art of Conversation / On Noodle Street" as the itro to it). What do you guys think? Would it have worked? Listening to the list just as I made it, I believe it would have been a great album and a true come-back to their glory days.
I've listened to that list a couple of times, and I think it would've made for a lovely (double) album, and better than each album separately, too. Not that I think either of them are bad on their own, but I think merging the material from the two, in some way, would've given a superior result.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 21:39
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I was just thinking something about this album, and The Division Bell. Well, I must begin by saying that I actually really love TDB, it's my 3rd favourite from the band and easily a 5 star album. And I really liked The Endless River a lot, a really nice surprise (even though I had a fairly good idea about how it would be because of all the previous info on it), and it is mostly full of wonderful music, easily a 4 star album (if I were just in the right mood I might even think about it as a 5 star one, but I thin it's got a few issues that won't allow it to get there). However, perhaps, if the band had been in a more album proggy mind at the time of releasing TDB, and in less of a song based album, they could have actually used many of the ideas that ended up on TER, perhaps left out a few of the weaker song on TDB, and made an album with more instrumental and ambient passages, and ended up going into a sound closer to their 70's masterpieces. I just made my list combining my favourite parts from both albums, and it actually sounds very nice in such order... it sounds like The Division Bell... but even better. Perhaps if TDB had ended up with a tracklist similar to this:
2. Poles apart.
3. Marooned.
6. Sum / Skins.
7. Coming back to life.
9. Keep Talking.
10. Talkin' Hawkin'.
12. High Hopes.

Such album would go up to around 84 min... so it might need some editing, or else, making it a double album. And even more, perhaps if some of the instrumental passages on TER would have been merged with some of the songs on TDB, it could have gone to an even higher final achievement. Such as, I could easily imagine Poles Apart blending beautifully with Calling / Eyes to Pearls / Surfacing (between EtP and Surfacing). Then Sum / Skins could blend into Coming Back to life (or else, it might have been made into a song with Take it Back, perhaps dividing Take it Back in two parts, one in the middle of Sum, and the other at the end of Skins). And Keep Talking could have been made one with Talking Hawkin (perhaps even getting "The Lost art of Conversation / On Noodle Street" as the itro to it). What do you guys think? Would it have worked? Listening to the list just as I made it, I believe it would have been a great album and a true come-back to their glory days.
I've listened to that list a couple of times, and I think it would've made for a lovely (double) album, and better than each album separately, too. Not that I think either of them are bad on their own, but I think merging the material from the two, in some way, would've given a superior result.

Indeed, thanks. So, did you like the list just like that, or would you choose something different? How about the posibility of some songs from both albums merged in order to make some longer songs with vocals, but longer instrumental passages?
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 13:51
And just when we'd all said or thought what we've said about this album, in the UK charts it's shot back up the album charts (27 from 30) so is this what people call "Second Wind"? Or just a blip and the final scrap for the top spot before it sinks out of the top 40.
We'll know by next Sunday what will happen next...
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 09:02

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

2. Poles apart.
3. Marooned.
6. Sum / Skins.
7. Coming back to life.
9. Keep Talking.
10. Talkin' Hawkin'.
12. High Hopes.

Indeed, thanks. So, did you like the list just like that, or would you choose something different? How about the posibility of some songs from both albums merged in order to make some longer songs with vocals, but longer instrumental passages?
Oh, I just listened to the list just like that. Haven't thought about other possibilities, or if I'd change anything else.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2015 at 10:00
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Bit of a bump on this thread, but I'm still spinning this speciality, and getting a lot out of it, don't deny its worth......

It just so happens I begin my journey with this album starting today, although I have spun it once when I first got it. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516