Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink FLoyd - The Endless River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 01:13
Already looking forward to Sir David Gilmour's new album
Siloportem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 11:48
I think it has a big chance of ending up with a lower rating because of the shape of the album.

It's made up of lots of tiny pieces. And some of these may appear very simplistic or minimalistic or easy.
I think this one needs to be listened to as a whole much more than other Pink Floyd albums. 
The wall is close to this sort of thing but it's still made up of nothing but songs. TER contains lots of "interludes" and it's almost completely instrumental. It's kinda like the songs of distant earth from Mike Oldfield in that respect.
I really like this kind of thing and I love the album! And I doubt many proggers mind it.

But since this is a Pink Floyd record. A lot of people are going to be paying attention and a lot of these people want songs and don't care for long continuous pieces of music. Let's be fair. Pink Floyd has one foot in the mainstream. And the mainstream is not going to like this sort of thing. They won't have the patience.

This will bring it down imho. It has a shape that a large number of people will find very unappealing.
And large numbers of people will be checking it out because it's Pink Floyd.

Which in my mind makes it part of the greatest thing ever.

Thanks !! Your topics always so good and informative. I like you talk.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:10
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Better sound quality can be achieved with the grooves given more room

It's just a small matter of time before digital surpasses this!

Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

This album needed Klaus Schulze to become a masterpiece

It's got Ezrin ... not the same thing, but Klaus would add ambience for sure.

Edited by moshkito - December 19 2014 at 11:01
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm not ready to place a review of this album as yet (not that we really need another one anyway...) but, this Endless River is consistently strong for sure.

Been there, done that and such!

Honestly? While very nice and enjoyable ... nothing new! Gilmour is now very repetitive, and you can see how Roger was getting tired of it, and the drumming was also sounding a bit tired, albeit its timing and use was usually very well defined and very attentive to the mood of the piece, but in general, sounded the same as any previous PF album.

As for the keyboards, I'm not sure that there is a lot here that Ihad not felt before or mentioned on this board.  From "Saucerful of Secrets" all the way to the end, all you have to do is get a good DAW and you can separate the keyboards and go listen to it ... they are far out, weird, neat, cleaver, pretty ... there simply are not enough adjectives for it ... so seeing an album like this with more of Rick's bits and pieces is very nice, but in the end, unsatisfactory, because you can hear much more on his two solo albums, and the depth for many of these. I think that Bob Ezrin, enhanced a lot of small stuff to make it prettier and sounding more like Rick, but in the end, I found some of these distracting and not necessary. You can feel Rick's original, because it does not have the clean sweeps that Bob has. Bob is very mechanical, which is the main reason why he was such great help from "The Wall" on. He knew the electronics and helped Rick with them to create sounds and ideas with it. The problem was, that Roger did not have the patience to wait for a new background to be ready for a song!

All in all, it is a wonderful listen and the music is very pretty all around, no doubt about it. The sad part is not having Roger in here, and he should have dropped his pride and do at least one piece in here to make this stronger and not a "solo" album. In many ways, this is like listening to the first cut of Rick's solo album "Wet Dream" and where there would be a guitar solo, there was a saxophone. And it felt fine, because it was more complete, but already the piece of music was "designed" to sound the same as the PF stuff, which is the ability that we associate with their music.

The only sad thing? Nothing new under the sun! Sorry Dave!  But it is nice, that for once, you get to hear something that is not in a hurry to become a song!

Edited by moshkito - December 19 2014 at 11:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 22:04
Well, I don't think Gilmour felt the need for Pink Floyd to do something new and original... not at this point of their career. I guess it was just a matter of giving closure to the band and doing a homage to Wright... and doing beautiful music. And the album acomplishes all of it wonderfully.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 04:39
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

After all that, I can agree with a 2 rating - for collectors/fans - it doesn't say it's good or bad, it could well be an excellent album for collectors/fans..... Me, I'd rate it a solid 4 - excellent addition to any Prog collection. A 2 is almost better than a 3,- good, but non- essential......

I can see what you are saying, but most of the people see numeric ratings on PA and elsewhere as notches on a linear scale scale:

1 is awful (in my definition, "non-music")
2 is bad
3 is a passing grade .. so-so .. average .. if I don't (didn't) have it already, I may never buy it
4 is good (nice-to-have; should buy as soon as I can)
5 is great (must-have)

In other words, for 99% of people who see 2 on the scale from 1 to 5 will interpret it as "bad", which PA substituted with a PC euphemism "for fans only". 
I don't think 99% of PA users regard the ratings like that, and if they do they haven't read the ratings description.

As for TER, I think it's yet another good, but not great, PF album. Nothing spectacular, but, like their three previous albums, not bad either, and nice to have in ones collection, i.e. three stars.
 Guys. I could never Agree with a 2 rating for this album under any circumstances. This album has quality all over it no matter even if it doesn't measure up to a person's musical standards for what they (Pink Floyd) have done early on. One of the pit falls of being so successful for such a long time people will always just assume that the artist will be able to razzle dazzle them every damn time. The endless river is simply beautiful music and really shouldn't be weighed and considered to such albums like Darkside and wish you were here. It's not fair because those were very special albums for the time when they were made. I say just focus on what you are hearing. For me it's an easy 4/5. 
Especially hearing this album in 24/96 no less. It's a beautiful experience. 
No way that could ever warrant a 2! Man. That is an awful rating.
I agree, Nick, a two star album it is not, and that's coming from someone who's not a big fan of the band, which in a way makes me more qualified to state that fact than all you Floyd nuts. Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 09:37
Hi,

it's too pretty and nicely done to not get at least a 3, and probably should have a 4 all the time!

I think, though, that many folks are going to consider it mushymoshymoochy music, and not worthy of being considered "progressive", just because it is nice!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 20:56
TER is the most Prog sounding album they've done since Animals IMHO...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:04

TER is the most Prog sounding album they've done since Animals IMHO...

You are definitly ... missing a lot ... I tell you, get a DAW, and break down PF and only listen to Rick's parts. You will never, EVER, again, hear anything as neat and so well done, and these pieces are nice, but they are nothing like the far out ones that were so alien and foreign that made you think he was an alien!

Gotta listen to the real thing ... not the after stuff. And David, does not have a good feel for the quality of the keyboards! For him they are just a filler! Otherwise, there would be more, and DIFFERENT stuff also available and played with, which David conveniently left behind! He took the easy way out!
www.pedrosena.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 20:59
^ Moshi - I don't get it ....
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 21:08

Neither do I
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 08:39

Neither do I 

That's the problem. There is nothing to get!

But until you can separate the parts better, you won't hear some really beautiful things that are buried in the "song". The depth of some of these things is insane ... and will rival the likes of Edgar Froese and such ... and you can say  ... that's just too much electronics, but for Rick, I doubt it was just the noise and its buttons and the tools used ... you can see it on his solo albums and on just about everything he did with PF ... I simply think that Roger just wanted a filler for the background, and not a "sound" which had been PF's signature before!

Likewise, the material in TER uses some of these pieces as backgrounds, and you can tell MECHANICALLY where the guitar is going ... sounding exactly like PF has for 40 years!

I'm sorry ... I don't need another "Dark Side" or another "Echoes" or another "Lucifer Sam" to tell me what I already know. The same goes for you. This new album is very nice, and a wonderful tribute and thank you ... but it is not original and has no talent or worthy artistry to make the album more valuable than it is. In fact, it is just a simple, throwback to the old days ... nothing else!

I don't need a quasi-prog album to take me there any more than you do!

www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 22:51
I was just thinking something about this album, and The Division Bell. Well, I must begin by saying that I actually really love TDB, it's my 3rd favourite from the band and easily a 5 star album. And I really liked The Endless River a lot, a really nice surprise (even though I had a fairly good idea about how it would be because of all the previous info on it), and it is mostly full of wonderful music, easily a 4 star album (if I were just in the right mood I might even think about it as a 5 star one, but I thin it's got a few issues that won't allow it to get there). However, perhaps, if the band had been in a more album proggy mind at the time of releasing TDB, and in less of a song based album, they could have actually used many of the ideas that ended up on TER, perhaps left out a few of the weaker song on TDB, and made an album with more instrumental and ambient passages, and ended up going into a sound closer to their 70's masterpieces. I just made my list combining my favourite parts from both albums, and it actually sounds very nice in such order... it sounds like The Division Bell... but even better. Perhaps if TDB had ended up with a tracklist similar to this:
1. Things left unsaid / It's what we do / Ebb and flow.
2. Poles apart.
3. Marooned.
4. A great day for freedom.
5. Wearing the inside out.
6. Sum / Skins.
7. Coming back to life.
8. Night light / Allons-Y / Autumn 68 / Allons-Y.
9. Keep Talking.
10. Talkin' Hawkin'.
11. Calling / Eyes to pearls / Surfacing.
12. High Hopes.

Such album would go up to around 84 min... so it might need some editing, or else, making it a double album. And even more, perhaps if some of the instrumental passages on TER would have been merged with some of the songs on TDB, it could have gone to an even higher final achievement. Such as, I could easily imagine Poles Apart blending beautifully with Calling / Eyes to Pearls / Surfacing (between EtP and Surfacing). Then Sum / Skins could blend into Coming Back to life (or else, it might have been made into a song with Take it Back, perhaps dividing Take it Back in two parts, one in the middle of Sum, and the other at the end of Skins). And Keep Talking could have been made one with Talking Hawkin (perhaps even getting "The Lost art of Conversation / On Noodle Street" as the itro to it). What do you guys think? Would it have worked? Listening to the list just as I made it, I believe it would have been a great album and a true come-back to their glory days.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 16:35
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Neither do I 

That's the problem. There is nothing to get!

But until you can separate the parts better, you won't hear some really beautiful things that are buried in the "song". The depth of some of these things is insane ... and will rival the likes of Edgar Froese and such ... and you can say  ... that's just too much electronics, but for Rick, I doubt it was just the noise and its buttons and the tools used ... you can see it on his solo albums and on just about everything he did with PF ... I simply think that Roger just wanted a filler for the background, and not a "sound" which had been PF's signature before!

Likewise, the material in TER uses some of these pieces as backgrounds, and you can tell MECHANICALLY where the guitar is going ... sounding exactly like PF has for 40 years!

I'm sorry ... I don't need another "Dark Side" or another "Echoes" or another "Lucifer Sam" to tell me what I already know. The same goes for you. This new album is very nice, and a wonderful tribute and thank you ... but it is not original and has no talent or worthy artistry to make the album more valuable than it is. In fact, it is just a simple, throwback to the old days ... nothing else!

I don't need a quasi-prog album to take me there any more than you do!

You just said the album sounds nice to you. Let that be enough.
Enjoy it regardless where you think it should measure up with in Their catalogue.
Not fair really. Just enjoy it fur what it sonically is.

Happy listening.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2014 at 19:37

I'm sorry ... I don't need another "Dark Side" or another "Echoes" or another "Lucifer Sam" to tell me what I already know. 
"Knowing" music, IMO, is not a status - it's the process of your spiritual growth, an endless journey, a relationship.  

but it is not original and has no talent or worthy artistry to make the album more valuable than it is. In fact, it is just a simple, throwback to the old days ... nothing else! 
When 
Pink Floyd makes an album that sounds like Pink Floyd, this is not original why? Pls. explain Geek 

I have already mentioned it somewhere, but I'll repeat, for repetition be a form of change and the sweet mother of learning Big smile. How much change could Pink Floyd introduce without becoming something that they aren't? Should they have made an album that sounds like Soggy Bottom Boys? Barry White? Seu Jorge? Should we detest the 2015 Kia Sedona because it has as many wheels, doors and engines as a Jetta SportWagen? 

I am thankful to Pink Floyd for what they are, and what they have done. TER is Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd is good for your soul Thumbs Up 

silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 07:55
Wonderful critisism this -  "it sounds like Pink Floyd". Yeah, how awful! Pig
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 06:38
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

this thread is not redundant yet.......
I wouldn't want TER to sound like anyone else except Floyd. Gilmour and his band mates succeeded. Again.

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 13 2015 at 06:39
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 07:28
The Endless River is a very enjoyable, worthwhile listening experience, and I am glad they decided to limit the vocals to one song so that Wright's contributions can be clearly heard. Rick Wright, sadly underrated.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2015 at 17:31
Wright's choice of equipment throughout the years along with his style of playing were PERFECT for what the band set out to achieve, album after album. Obvious statement, I know.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2015 at 17:22

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

this thread is not redundant yet.......
I wouldn't want TER to sound like anyone else except Floyd. Gilmour and his band mates succeeded. Again.

You are once again right as rain my friend.
I live the album and I have gotten quite a bit out of it. Very sedative and immersive.
Love that blu-ray.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>