Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink FLoyd - The Endless River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2014 at 22:47
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

But there still is a David Gilmour album shortly on the way, isn't there? I hope that hasn't been dropped.

Plus, I really hope Floyd releases live albums from the past. That would be quite a treat.

And wasn't there word that Richard Wright had been working on a follow-up album to Broken China? Would be nice if Gilmour and Waters collaborated on those tracks and finished them...

(I continue to hold out hope that this won't be the last we hear of Floyd ;-)

I had also read something about Gilmour working on a new solo album... though now I'm not so sure, perhaps when the information came out it was actually about this Pink Floyd album (also Waters was suposedly working on a new album, but since his reply to people who asked about it, it might not be true).

About live albums from the past, I would also love to see some of them coming. I'd love a full live album from the Pre-Dark Side era (perhaps the BBC recordings), I'd love a live album from the Animals tour (and if it were a DVD too it would be just amazing... though almost impossible). I'd love the video release of the original Wall concerts. I'd love some live album from Roger Waters tour with Eric Clapton on guitar (from the Pros and Cons tour). I'd love the a live album from Gilmour's About Face tour (there were some incredible versions of Murder and Near the End). And I guess a live video from the Delicate Sound of Thunder concerts... I'd really love to hear the version of Echoes performed on that tour.

And I also knew about Wright working on that album before passing away, and have for years thought it might have been an oportunity for it to end up being a Pink Floyd album if Gilmour wanted to complete it (of course, I have no idea in what state it was left, so perhaps it already included musicians that wouldn't so easily allow the Floyd guys steping in)... and if Waters would work on it it would be great, but if it were only Gilmour I'd be happy enough... perhaps it would be better suited to become a Wright - Gilmour album instead of a Pink Floyd one... or a Wright album - feat David Gilmour. However it might work out, I'd love it to end up being released.

Edited by Dellinger - October 17 2014 at 22:51
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 01:48
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

But there still is a David Gilmour album shortly on the way, isn't there? I hope that hasn't been dropped.

Plus, I really hope Floyd releases live albums from the past. That would be quite a treat.

And wasn't there word that Richard Wright had been working on a follow-up album to Broken China? Would be nice if Gilmour and Waters collaborated on those tracks and finished them...

I had also read something about Gilmour working on a new solo album... though now I'm not so sure, perhaps when the information came out it was actually about this Pink Floyd album (also Waters was suposedly working on a new album, but since his reply to people who asked about it, it might not be true).

About live albums from the past, I would also love to see some of them coming. I'd love a full live album from the Pre-Dark Side era (perhaps the BBC recordings), I'd love a live album from the Animals tour (and if it were a DVD too it would be just amazing... though almost impossible). I'd love the video release of the original Wall concerts. I'd love some live album from Roger Waters tour with Eric Clapton on guitar (from the Pros and Cons tour). I'd love the a live album from Gilmour's About Face tour (there were some incredible versions of Murder and Near the End). And I guess a live video from the Delicate Sound of Thunder concerts... I'd really love to hear the version of Echoes performed on that tour.

And I also knew about Wright working on that album before passing away, and have for years thought it might have been an oportunity for it to end up being a Pink Floyd album if Gilmour wanted to complete it (of course, I have no idea in what state it was left, so perhaps it already included musicians that wouldn't so easily allow the Floyd guys steping in)... and if Waters would work on it it would be great, but if it were only Gilmour I'd be happy enough... perhaps it would be better suited to become a Wright - Gilmour album instead of a Pink Floyd one... or a Wright album - feat David Gilmour. However it might work out, I'd love it to end up being released.

Hah! I think you and I share the same dreams!! I'm getting excited just thinking about it... Oh well, probably some day, in time, most of these will come true... (That live stuff would *have* to emerge, eventually, I'd think...)
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 05:51
We had a couple of live Floyd albums released just three years ago.  There's no hurry.  Save the old stuff for release in future decades so that fans as-yet unborn will have something new to excite them.  We have the Endless River to excite us.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 09:59

Grumpy old man alert!! Why didn't Floyd include this with the Division Bell box set reissue??

That would have been awesome! (on vinyl of course)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 18:19
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Grumpy old man alert!! Why didn't Floyd include this with the Division Bell box set reissue??

Hm, because it's a completely new album perhaps?
Is there any example in the history of rock music where an artist is hanging a new album on to a rerelease of an older one? 

Anyway, to Jude and Dellinger; there will be a new Gilmour album next year and he will try to include some of the jams he did with Rick. There's not much recorded though and the rumoured new album that Rick was working on is just that, a rumour. According to his son in law, Guy Prat, he had barely started, there's no material to work on.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:13
^This was an outtake from the Division Bell sessions. I guess it's technically new.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 21:22
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

We had a couple of live Floyd albums released just three years ago.  There's no hurry.  Save the old stuff for release in future decades so that fans as-yet unborn will have something new to excite them.  We have the Endless River to excite us.

I disagree. Future generations for the most part won't give a toss about music released in the 70s. Nor should they. They'll be listening to the stuff that's new and relevant for their time and that has an immediacy that speaks to them. So... I hope this stuff comes out soon, before I'm too old to give a toss meself LOL

Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Anyway, to Jude and Dellinger; there will be a new Gilmour album next year and he will try to include some of the jams he did with Rick. There's not much recorded though and the rumoured new album that Rick was working on is just that, a rumour. According to his son in law, Guy Prat, he had barely started, there's no material to work on. 

Oh wow, thanks for that info! :-)

Edited by jude111 - October 18 2014 at 21:25
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 13:39

Hah! I think you and I share the same dreams!! I'm getting excited just thinking about it... Oh well, probably some day, in time, most of these will come true... (That live stuff would *have* to emerge, eventually, I'd think...)

I'm not sure how much of it could end up being released. The BBC recordings are a very real possibility, I guess. There's also the Dark Side of the Moon concert that was actually released - kind of - a few years ago, with the re-release of their discography, on the expanded editions of Dark Side and Wish you Were Here (on Dark Side, the whole album on it's live version, and on Wish you Were Here they had Raving and Drooling and You Gotta be Crazy - or Dogs and Sheep -, and I don't remember well, but I think Shine on you Crazy Diamond too). I think between both albums they released almost the whole concert, but they still missed Echoes, which would be great to have too. A live album from the Animals tour I guess would be rather difficult, but a DVD almost impossible. The original Wall concerts on DVD should be rather easy too... but with Waters latest Wall tour and it's release almost being a fact, I somehow don't think he is still planning on releasing the old concerts with Pink Floyd. A concert from Waters Pros and Cons tour doesn't sound much likely to me, though I believe he does have recordings from most of the concert, though only audio, so a DVD would be almost impossilbe too. From Gilmour's About Face, I don't think he is planning on releasing it, but at least it does exist on VHS, so sometime along the road he might re-release it. And actually, from the Delicate Sound of Thunder, I do have a DVD called "Shine On"... it's not a bootleg nor a pirate release, but I wonder how much the band (specially Gilmour) was involved in it's release... I would guess just about not involved at all. It's not got nearly the same care on it's production as the PULSE DVD release, and it's audio/sound quality isn't the best (though it's not bad enough that it ruins any possibility of enjoying it), however, it does NOT include any version of echoes. I believe Gilmour stated at one point he wanted to release oficially a DVD of the Venice concert from that tour, which would be truly amazing (though, still, that concert did not feature Echoes).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 14:06

Is there any example in the history of rock music where an artist is hanging a new album on to a rerelease of an older one? 

Oh well, it's great to know that... though perhaps a bit disapointing... the bit about Rick's album, for I had expecting at some point it might come out... but at least now I know that's not happening and I cand put the idea and hopes aside. And the Gilmour's album bit is indeed great, and if he is using the jams he did with Wright, that's even better, whatever much he may be able to use... though I would think the available jams aren't so few. I heard 1 or 2 jams, I think, on the "Remember that Night" or "Live in Gdansk" releases, and I understand there were 2 or 3 more, so there's some material to use (though not enough to fill an album, clearly, but he could get some songs out of them). Now that you seem to have been able to get some information that I had been wanting to know for sure, by chance you don't know what's going on with Water's new album?
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 14:33
Wikipedia has a running time of 52:46 for The Endless River. That's not a double album! Genesis fit more than that onto the single vinyl of Selling England By the Pound!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 15:31
Better sound quality can be achieved with the grooves given more room
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 15:35

I disagree. Future generations for the most part won't give a toss about music released in the 70s. Nor should they. They'll be listening to the stuff that's new and relevant for their time and that has an immediacy that speaks to them. So... I hope this stuff comes out soon, before I'm too old to give a toss meself LOL

If they shouldn't give a toss about it then neither should any of us now.  But we do, and they will.  What's the difference?

Edited by Stool Man - October 19 2014 at 15:36
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 16:05

^I never could but now I can understand the reasons (or maybe couldn't accept them) why at every passing year there are even less people listening to erudite music from 19th and 20th century (for example): "they'll be listening to the stuff that's new and relevant for their time and that has an immediacy that speaks to them."  Confused  pittyful!

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 06:45
I never thought this would happen! I did take the Waters side in the early 90's when I was getting into the band.
I'm not bothered about Roger Waters not being involved, he left and he's working on "Homeland" and a movie about his recent tour of "The Wall".
I have liked the samples on Pink Floyd's official page. And it was fun catching sites play the unedited for radio version of "Louder Than Words" before Pink Floyd's lawyers took them down!
I have got a strong felling I will love this album a lot more than the Pink Floyd products we've had since the 80's.
And given the shadows created by Waters, let alone Barrett, then an instrumental album of Pink Floyd sounds so obvious, it's a wonder they never did it sooner.
Granted, if it was session man stuff from the "AMLOR" sessions then I'd be really unhappy about it.

But it's been so long and I've already gone through the cycles of "It's disappointing" and "Unfinished" to "Not that bad" through "Great" to my current position of "I need to get this album right now!!"

And with regards the double album/single CD, for a lot of people the sound quality will be affected by listening to a leak of the album, destroying all their sonic craftwork so painstakingly engineered by the production hands of Pink Floyd.

I still hope for their 50th anniversary next year we get a big compilation with "Vegetable Man" etc, but for now, I will take "The Endless River" as the final creative word off Pink Floyd and at this stage in the game, isn't that more than you could ever ask of this project? Clap
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 07:04
^ Nice words! Ordered my 2 LP copy yesterday. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 09:23

Better sound quality can be achieved with the grooves given more room
Wth the technology available now, it surprises me that disc cutters cannot squeeze more grooves for quiter sections of the music. It's only the louder heavy bass parts that require wider grooves.
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 10:01

Oh well, it's great to know that... though perhaps a bit disapointing... the bit about Rick's album, for I had expecting at some point it might come out... but at least now I know that's not happening and I cand put the idea and hopes aside. And the Gilmour's album bit is indeed great, and if he is using the jams he did with Wright, that's even better, whatever much he may be able to use... though I would think the available jams aren't so few. I heard 1 or 2 jams, I think, on the "Remember that Night" or "Live in Gdansk" releases, and I understand there were 2 or 3 more, so there's some material to use (though not enough to fill an album, clearly, but he could get some songs out of them). Now that you seem to have been able to get some information that I had been wanting to know for sure, by chance you don't know what's going on with Water's new album?

Water's has been talking of his new album for at least ten years now. I believe it when I see it. LOL

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 17:57

[QUOTE=Stool Man]We had a couple of live Floyd albums released just three years ago.  There's no hurry.  Save the old stuff for release in future decades so that fans as-yet unborn will have something new to excite them.  We have the Endless River to excite us.

^^
Absolute nonsense......the 70's will form as much part of a classical period as does Mozart. Association to music relevant to the present tense is another thing entirely and it does not necessarily yield classical periods. Even some 70's stuff was sh*te but it defs had classical music too.

Edited by Chris S - October 20 2014 at 17:57
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 19:21
I feel that the general mood around the Endless River has been positive. At least I think that it's great  that they're releasing it. I feel like there is a little too much hostility from the general public on the news that Roger won't be playing on it. You'd think it would be kind of obvious that he wouldn't be. 

Edited by aglasshouse - October 20 2014 at 19:22
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 21:02

Water's has been talking of his new album for at least ten years now. I believe it when I see it. LOL

Yeah, I know, I believe I read about it... about 10 years ago, actually. Something about a concept of the stories heard by a taxi driver, and something about it being a double album, one CD with songs about war and the other about love. Something about it using the two new songs he was playing during the tour from the early 2000's (Each Small Candle and Flickering Flame... I guess now one could add Leaving Beirut and I don't remember if he has released some other new song, but surely he already has at least enough music for half an album).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>