Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink FLoyd - The Endless River

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 15:53
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It's interesting how people's 'musical ears' and tastes are  different.
I've listened to quite a bit of it online at you tube and I find it somewhat boring at times . There are some nice things here and there but overall I can't say I'm impressed.

It's meant to be listened to all the way through, not in bits.  Imagine if you'd never heard Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall all the way through, but had just heard most of the tracks in whatever order,

Much of The Wall stands up well when heard out of context: Comfortably Numb, Hey You, Run Like Hell, Goodbye Blue Sky, In the Flesh. That's how I first heard them, on the radio, and it was brilliant. Ditto for Dark Side of the Moon: my first exposure was tracks on the radio: Breathe, Us and Them, Time, Brain Damage/Eclipse, The Great Gig in the Sky. The same goes for WYWH and Animals. Heard them all on the radio; those tracks spoke to my soul, and it was why I started buying Floyd's albums when I was 12ish or so.

The best Floyd instrumentals can stand up outside the album, whether it's One of These Days, the instrumentals on DSOTM, or even Marooned. There's nothing on the new album that's playable on a radio (except that last track with vocals), and there's nothing comparable to One of These Days, Any Colour You Like, or Marooned, at least to me.

I'm glad to have this album. But I don't think I'll ever be able to think of it as anything more than a bonus disc of The Division Bell.

Really looking forward to Dave's new album, however. My favorite of the post-Waters stuff was certain tracks on On an Island (title track, The Blue, Smile, Where We Start) and Endless River's Louder Than Words.

Edited by jude111 - November 24 2014 at 16:09
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 22:58
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

It's interesting how people's 'musical ears' and tastes are  different.
I've listened to quite a bit of it online at you tube and I find it somewhat boring at times . There are some nice things here and there but overall I can't say I'm impressed.

It's meant to be listened to all the way through, not in bits.  Imagine if you'd never heard Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall all the way through, but had just heard most of the tracks in whatever order,

That doesn't change a thing imo regarding the quality of the music or if one finds it boring at times.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
GChen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:10
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

YIPPEE !! My LP arrived. 1st listen = EXCELLENT !! Not a duff second throughout. Very nicely done. Methinks Wright would be very pleased we got to hear his work !! Side 3 was particularly good.

Nice one Tom - I'm still waiting on mine, called the store "again" and they still haven't got a copy but the young lady said she'd ring around and call me in a couple of days. Ten minutes later she called and said their city store has a stack of 'em and has requested a copy for me to pick up. They advertised pre-ordered copies would go out before shelf stock but still I wait, it just struck me though I paid for postage I wonder if I'll get that back LOL

Cheers

G C
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 23:20
^ I know how you feel. Good luck !! It is, however, worth the wait.
I should be listening it right now, but I'm (im)patiently waiting for my sis to come over coz she got a copy as well, but she hasn't hooked up her turntable for years.........She's in love with Gilmour.....well, his playing anyway .
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 01:24
I'm not ready to place a review of this album as yet (not that we really need another one anyway...) but, this Endless River is consistently strong for sure. It encompasses many elements, past and present, especially regarding what Rick brought to the table. From the fragments of recorded jams and such, Gilmour and Co. forged some elegant instrumental music which does bring Wright's contributions to the fore.
Treading old ground, maybe, but it's really wrapped up in a (relatively) fresh and contemporary sound. Relatively, meaning it does draw from the work of the Division Bell, but does reflect on their fine ability at atmospheres and textures. I am digging this release immensely, and whilst I know that the Floyd are a well known brand within the mainstream demographic, I truly wonder how many of the 1000's of folks who lapped this album up actually say this is an important or necessary release ??
I do, however, believe that David and Nick miss their old pal, and The Endless River is ultimatey designed for all true and honest music lovers.
A track, such as Anisina, recalls the Wright's Violent Sequence, a piece which morphed into the beloved Us And Them, but there is also a degree of A Great Day For Freedom contained within. And ultimately, the piece stands alone as a wonderful track. These sorts of references can be discerned throughout.
I can only bow my head in total respect.

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 26 2014 at 01:27
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 02:05
I doubt I'll ever get around to reviewing it, Tom, I think you nailed it there by saying that it probably doesn't need any more, although we know they'll keep coming!

You speak very fairly of the album, and in many ways I feel exactly the same way. It's perfectly lovely, respectable, with a few standout moments popping up here and there, and plenty of sublime ambient passages throughout. It's a very dignified and respectable send-off to Rick (who, lets face it, gets the one or two real standout moments on it), and it certainly doesn't come close to tarnishing the `brand name'.

Strangely, though, as I've kept listening to it over and over these past weeks, I find it not grabbing me enough to keep wanting to return to it much more, after that initial excitement and sense of relief ("Phew, it doesn't suck...." )

In some ways, it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, a shame that they didn't work on a few more of the `fragments' and develop them better, with a few seeming to drift by without leaving much of an impression at all. I also find it very strange that there's many moments throughout that instantly remind of `The Wall', which I kind of figured the band would stay away from due to it being so closely associated with Roger?

But the only moment that actually turns my stomach on it is that awful sax solo, it's about half way through the disc, I forget the actual track name it appears on, but it's quite cheesy and AOR. Damn, was Dick Perry busy?! He would have offered something more restrained and subtle.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 26 2014 at 02:05
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 02:15
^ .....better than Mr Mullet (Scott Page....).......
Anyway, I thought they kept their 'indulgences' in check - many of the pieces could've (would've) been stretched out longer back in the day, but that sort of 'behaviour' is mostly unfavourable these days, (although Dan and all of us can lap it up when we get together........   15-20 minute jams where 3 minutes worth are actually tight an listenable ).

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 26 2014 at 02:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 02:23
Funny you mentioned the mullet, because as soon as I heard that sax asolo and tried to keep the vomit in my mouth, I ran to the CD booklet and was surprised to find it WASN'T him!
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 03:12
Yeah I like The Endless River, it's like a dreamy nostalgic journey through Floyd's past, almost going full circle.  Gilmour and Wright are absolutely impeccable.  Quite a nice way to sign off I'd say.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 03:40
^^ I was also disappointed with the sax solo (obviously not from Mr. Perry), although the clarinet was nice, I don't recall any clarinet on a PF song. Ermm
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 03:41
It's pretty good. Not top tier, not absolute crap. A nice, even Floyd album that's totally them, even though it was old manipulated tapes. An excellent sign off note. 

Would give it a three after two listens. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 04:09
^ and^^ and ^^^.... Sorry, Mr Pedantic here, Mr PArry, not PErry - sax.   Anyway, nit-picking aside, Endless River is quite nice - Come in here dear boy, have a king-size cigarette coz there's no cigar here.....
I respect what the (remaining) 'band' have done here, great stuff, and a lot of thoughtful and dignified work has gone into it. It's not 'Dad-Prog', it's worlds away from Heaven And Earth, I say it's a bona-fide 4 star album, and I can also see why it's mainly instrumental...........
.............Without dear Rick present, it would be a fallacy to stretch these snippets out any further without b*****dising the whole affair. They worked with what they have, and the results are nothing less than superb. I'm amazed that in the credits Rick had his old Farfisa organ, not to mention David adding VCS3 synth sounds to several tracks. They truly were doing 'what they do' when it comes to creating magical music.
BTW, I loved the Gilmour 'Barn Jams', and wished there'd be an albums worth of tunes there........
God bless Richard Wright, the very reason I fell for Floyd all those years ago, and God bless Pink Floyd, the Masters Of Sonic Bliss.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 04:37
I did find that you could easily tell what the additional little `modern' keyboard enhancements and contributions were throughout the album, sounding a little out of place, or rather not sounding like anything else heard on any other Floyd albums? They're used sparingly, thank goodness, and don't really distract. Can't remember who they're credited to (at work, and don't have the CD handy).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 05:04
Generally when I think of RW, it usually comes in that reedy, psychedelic Farfisa sound he used often in the early years. I often waited for years to hear that sound again. Closest was the middle section of Echoes, on the last Gilmour tour. But generally, it boils down to what chords Rick plays, and he always ustilises choice sounds, whatever keyboard he chooses to use. And like Gilmour, he knows what notes to hit........
Even his dark, avant directions of Sysyphus, using Farfisa, Piano and Mellotron, is a meisterwerk......
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 09:24

I'm not ready to place a review of this album as yet (not that we really need another one anyway...) but, this Endless River is consistently strong for sure.

Why not? you can always go back and amend it, if your opinion changes with time. 

Funnily, I have heard from a few people (on other threads) that they weren't going to write a TER review, even though they really like it. Various reasons were given; if yours is that "we don't really need another one", I would respectfully ask you to reconsider. Opinions matter. 

A number of people who disliked TER didn't seem to have a huge psychological problem with sharing their disappointment and assigning the album low ratings. That's certainly their right. Equally, it's up to those who do like TER to make themselves heard as well. 

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 10:33
^I see you point Argo, but, and I'm of course speaking from a personal viewpoint, it gets really old reading reviews for the same album over and over again. I turn numb very quickly and end up not bothering to read any of them. Most of them (not all) say the same albeit with differentiating ratings. I don't bother reading Foxtrot and Close to the Edge reviews either for the exact same reason. Maybe if they're done by one of the writers I follow...maybe.
Considering how many albums we have in our database that still haven't been reviewed, I'd much rather spend an hour of my time reviewing one of those. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 15:14

Though having listened to The Endless River just twice I'd like to add some things left unsaid at least in the last pages of this thread, but I am going to limit my post to just about what I enjoyed at the first listen to TER:

Things Left Unsaid - An interesting and enjoyable atmosphere (the least that anybody expects anyway), it clearly brings me a mood a bit alike Cluster One's;

It's What We Do - Probably it is needless to mention its resemblance with the first segment of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', obviously in its own flowing way, and I enjoyed the beautiful guitar melody of this song;

SUnsung - Hey what a nifty 'intro' to Anisina, though it is so brief...;

Anisina - I second absolutely all of what Tom Ozrik said about it, and I liked the saxophone playing there as well;

Allons-Y (1 & 2) - The very beginning of it reminded me of a part of the song 'Run like Hell', when I listened to it played loudly it gave me an even more pleasurable listening, nice track; 

Autumn '68 - The first track I listened to (jumped to it), as its name attracted me because of Summer '68. A brief but beautiful organ playing!, though in a different mood than the famous Celestial Voices;

Talkin' Hawkin' - Great song! Maybe the one I must enjoyed, but it's only 3:29 min...  

Calling - Features a quite interesting atmosphere, there are a passages which reminded me of a Vangelis piece that I can't recall its name right now, nice song indeed!

Surfacing - Another lovely track that features all about Gilmour's guitar playing style! But again short as the majority of the songs in TER, in other words I got the feeling of I want more... couldn't the compositions be more further developed? Yet I understand that this was mostly a 'post-Waters' PINK FLOYD but without the brilliant Wright.

Edited by Rick Robson - November 26 2014 at 15:15

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 15:41
^ I don't think it's short, although I wouldn't mind another minute on each side Tongue
If I want more I'll listen to TDB Wink
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 17:09
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Considering how many albums we have in our database that still haven't been reviewed, I'd much rather spend an hour of my time reviewing one of those. 

I have proposed this in the past, and I do not mind re-stating: people who recommend a new album for addition should be reasonably expected to post the album's first review. If a member is motivated enough to write an essay as a part of their submission for addition, they shouldn't find it too burdensome to post this essay as a review. This way no albums will languish un-reviewed, ever, and visitors will be able to actually see why the album was added, which should generate some extra interest in exploring it. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:19

YIPPEE !! My LP arrived. 1st listen = EXCELLENT !! Not a duff second throughout. Very nicely done. Methinks Wright would be very pleased we got to hear his work !! Side 3 was particularly good.

I too love Side III......and IV and II and I Big smile

Glad you got your LP, what an amazing sound!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>