Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviews: Opinions Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews: Opinions Change
    Posted: October 10 2014 at 11:41
I was looking at my reviews and saw a couple ratings that I disagreed with, wasn't sure whether to keep them or change them to how I feel now. I was curious how often this happens to reviewers in particular because their words typically match how they felt about the album at that point and the rating reflects that. 

Have any of you looked over reviews and decided to change the rating to fit how you currently feel about the album? Or do you always have confidence in your ratings that every time you look back at it, you always agree?

I know opinions change about music but I was just curious about how people think about this. 

Edited by Horizons - October 10 2014 at 11:51
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 11:50
My opinion never changes. Roger Waters is a God and everybody else sucks.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 12:30
I wrote many reviews in Persian but I can't write in English well and I never wrote a review in PA. Now let talk about your post. 
My opinions Change too. Sometimes this happen in number of listening to a Album for example when I listen to a Album for first time and judge about that and after more listens My opinion change. 
But most of this "Changes" happened along years. For example (No 2 example!) I loved Pink Floyd 30 years ago(when I was 15). I loved all of their albums and Songs and solo albums like a "Fanatic Fan"!! But now I don't like many of PF songs and My opinion changed 180 degree about them!!
I don't know why and how it happen. Maybe this is about "Life Style" or Problems and troubles like economic problems or social problems or ...that happened during My life.
Maybe its about reading books or watching movies or any Artistic experiences during life time. I don't know. I really know others opinion. 
You start great discuss in this post Horizon. Thanks a lot. This is very Important point and I like talk about that and listen to others experiences.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 12:45
I try to avoid rating or reviewing any albums until I've had them for a real long time (a year or more).  Not just because my opinion could change, but because I really don't have much interesting to say until I've lived with the album for a while.  I've changed one "4" to a "5", and one "5" to a "4" since I've been here, and both were cases where I wrote a review within a couple of months after receiving the album.   This is also a reason why I never get rid of any of my CDs or records any more.  So many times I've pulled some long-neglected album off the shelf and it ends up hitting me in the right way on a particular day.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Phaolrym View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 13:16
I think if you were/are able to back-up your rating with valid arguments in your review, it is better not to change it. But if you don't agree with your arguments too, it can be plausible to edit them both (if possible.) Not in Progarchives, but in the site that i've been a reviewer, I seldom said that "I could've given it 1 points more", several months or years after reviewing. But my arguments were there clearly showing why i gave it that rating, and thus it wasn't much of a disturbance to me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 13:40
I've gone back and changed a few ratings before - mostly rated an album down, because the circumstances at the time of the original review suddenly weren't there anymore. I'm not sure how else to put it, but there's been a few occasions where I've listened to an album with friends out in tall grasses, drinking beers and just having a funky good ol time. Sometimes this has overshadowed my actual enjoyment of the release, or at least warped my sharp senses (hoho) to the extent of over rating the music. Not to the extreme though, when this has happened, it's usually changing a 4 to a 3 or in two instances where I've had to change a 5 to a 4. 
My most recent review was the of new Electric Orange release, which I could see metamorphose from the 4 stars I've awarded it with to masterpiece status, but it takes time - especially with an album like that. 
Sure I could've waited, but when you receive music from the horse's mouth - you have an obligation to conjure up a review before the artist turns 90. 

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with this. In some cases it's rather fun to see how one's tastes shift (or whether one was karate drunk at the time of writing). 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 14:10
Plenty of my opinions have changed. Also, my opinion on plenty my reviews has changed (many of my reviews suck). I'm just too lazy to correct either discrepancy. 

Edited by The T - October 10 2014 at 14:10
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 18:24
I too have changed ratings but not too often. And I am confident in the ratings I give, it is just that it is true that opinions change, mine included. Any rational person would acknowledge that and we need to include ourselves in that possibility. Even the greatest thinkers in the world have changed their views. Ludwig Wittgenstein wrote a significant work in the 1920s but changed his view on the same subject drastically thirty years later. Mahatma Gandhi is famous for his desire to find and express truth rather than be consistent with his earlier views. If we do not allow ourselves the option to change our opinion, then we are drying up and not growing any more. We become the past, and that is not progressive now, is it?
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 18:39
It doesn't happen to me very often, but occasionally I will deam myself sufficiently changed in my feeling about some album I've reviewed that I will change the star rating and some of my opinions of it in the text of the review.
         This occurred with my reviews of Triumvirat's Pompeii and Old Loves Die Hard albums, when I started to really like singer Barry Palmer's contributions to these more than I used to, and felt my reviews not even handed enough- and actually pretty negative, so I changed that somewhat. Glad I did.

Edited by presdoug - October 10 2014 at 18:40
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 19:22
I am often surprised to see that albums that I rate highly for PA fail to stay on my listening rotation or that others that I reviewed rather "harshly" eek their way up my list of favorites. That is why I have consistently created two categories: 1) quality music in which I try to be more objective, and 2) favorite music which reflects my personal (and changing) tastes and biases. Some of my favorite albums of all-time I could never give 5 star ratings to on PA cuz they aren't really prog or because I know that they are flawed (e.g. [non-prog bands I love] Sade, Swing Out Sister, Everything But The Girl, or [albums that are, IMHO, flawed] FoxtrotSelling England, Novella, Even in The Quietest Moment), whereas some albums that I have given very high marks to I rarely listen to (e.g. Haken, The Mars Volta, Steven Wilson).    
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 20:21
I think it's actually more rare for my opinion not to change.  About 2-4 years after a review, it won't really apply anymore because my tastes change so much over a short period.  I don't do many reviews though, so that shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm already considering changing some of mine from last year.

Edited by bloodnarfer - October 10 2014 at 20:23
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2014 at 20:52
I do change my reviews sometimes, and I think it's perfectly fine. Moreover, when you rate a new (to you) album, I should say it's a good practice to revisit the review a few weeks or months later and see if the first impression has stood the test of time. 

What is not fine at all is when certain individuals sign up just to badmouth a certain album, and some people do actually do that, sadly. 

I have said in the past, and will repeat it now: people should not be given the capability to mete out one- and five-star reviews until they have attained a certain level of qualification, let's say 1 year on the forum and/or at least 20 full reviews posted. 

Even beyond that, I'd say the members should be limited to a 20% quota of 1-star and 5-star reviews. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 01:57
I have edited and changed reviews usually upwards. I have never down rated an album later even though my opinion has changed.I like to be positive wherever possible.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 03:07
How can you be sure that your current opinion is more "real" than the old one?
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 08:36
I guess I'm getting too old, my opinions do not change anymore...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2014 at 10:37
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

You right. I think write a review is very dangerous work for reviewer. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 02:24

if the original one was 'prejudiced' by circumstances. For instance I gave Glass Hammer If a 2 star review becuase I didn't want to give the new line up a chance. I realised some years later that this was a actually a very strong relase and I hadn't given it proper attention. Does that answer the question?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 03:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

if the original one was 'prejudiced' by circumstances. For instance I gave Glass Hammer If a 2 star review becuase I didn't want to give the new line up a chance. I realised some years later that this was a actually a very strong relase and I hadn't given it proper attention. Does that answer the question?

partially. The example is specific, the thread question is general.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2014 at 08:54
Yes I have changed opinions over time, and I have altered reviews somewhat to reflect this.  I think it is perfectly valid to do so, we aren't static beings and our tastes can change or shift. 

Usually this happens when I write a review too quickly, in the first lust-like rush of hearing it.  :)  I have learned that sometimes my first impressions are not necessarily accurate ones once the experience settles down.   
We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 06:32
It can take a while for some albums to sink in e.g. it took quite a few months of listening before the Lifesigns album revealed itself fully to me. If I had reviewed it soon after purchase it probably would have been 3 stars, now it's a 5 all the way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>