Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviews: Opinions Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 06:52
I am afraid when i do a review after listening to the album many times that my evaluation will go so down that it would be a negative for the band. So, i don't wait much before doing a review, because more often than not, (there's some exceptions), my enthusiasm is higher in my first listening than it will be after many.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 08:04
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

I am afraid when i do a review after listening to the album many times that my evaluation will go so down that it would be a negative for the band. So, i don't wait much before doing a review, because more often than not, (there's some exceptions), my enthusiasm is higher in my first listening than it will be after many.

I may be reading you wrong, but doesn't that mean that most of your reviews are inflated? Sorry to be so forthright, but if we can't be honest about the music we're supposed to be reviewing, then the exercise becomes redundant. You shouldn't care what the artist thinks - no matter if he/she sent you a copy for free. It's about the music not merely advertising bands under the radar. 

Let me ask you this: What part of your judgement is the most honest? The early stage on which you wrote a review, or the years after where the enthusiasm has worn off and you suddenly see the album for what it is?  

If many folks feel like this, then I guess it isn't that strange to see so many new prog releases catapulting themselves up the top 100Ouch
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 08:44
Then again maybe I am wrong. Maybe we should be more liberal with our ratings and only review albums we really like - and preferably only review them when our enthusiasm is at an alltime high...
It sounds kinda dodgy to me though. 
Masterpieces, or any other great records, should be able to stand the test of time. If one rates an album with 5 stars and then after a week or so suddenly changes his/her mind; now it's more like a 3 maybe 3.5 - and the person in question then never rectifies that, then why have a rating system altogether? I mean, if the ratings do not reflect people's real opinion, then the system becomes a sham.
If we are to have ratings and reviews as a foundation for this site, then the most important thing has to be honesty. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 11:10
I think we zoom on one side of this post about "Review" but This post have another side: Changing opinion for yourself. I mean this "change" may happen in our personal opinions without present and share that to others by writing a review. Maybe our taste change . We must answer to ourselves in this situation (Opinion change) and try to find why and how.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 14:01
My comment had a bit of sarcasm and exaggeration but a bit of truth also. We can always update our reviews and ratings, but i rarely do because i am careful with ratings and my enthusiasm about the album can only slightly change from 4 stars to 3.5. There's no much difference between many of us that discover the best of the album after many listening and me who does it after one or two. I am trying to be honest and objective but i can't avoid some emotional feeling, and if i had to do reviews only for albums that are classics, i wouldn't do much reviews. I am not sure if it's so wrong to do a review in the flesh of passion instead of further much thought. The problem that i have is that i am too lazy to work on a review after a long period of time. Because when i know i am going to review a specific album, i have my most intensive listening experience and probably the most enjoyable. And i am not sure if my evaluation of that same album a year later is really more objective.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 15:18
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Then again maybe I am wrong. Maybe we should be more liberal with our ratings and only review albums we really like - and preferably only review them when our enthusiasm is at an alltime high...
Masterpieces, or any other great records, should be able to stand the test of time. If one rates an album with 5 stars and then after a week or so suddenly changes his/her mind; now it's more like a 3 maybe 3.5 - and the person in question then never rectifies that, then why have a rating system altogether? I mean, if the ratings do not reflect people's real opinion, then the system becomes a sham.
If we are to have ratings and reviews as a foundation for this site, then the most important thing has to be honesty. 

Really good question. My feeling is that most prog is good. Any musician with ability and a determination to do something beyond the ordinary deserves a lot of respect. I am very reluctant to trash anything unless I think the band is being 'lazy' or sloppy but how often do you get that? I think we are far too hung up on ratings. More than once I've had to explain why ELP only have one album in the top 100. I genuinely don't care whether they have 1 or 5 albums but it seems to be a concern to many who see it as a rubber stamp of them not being that good. A common held opinion but then I just see a lot of music as being 'overrated'. Genesis , Yes and King Crimson are well overrated but people love them and have grown up with them and give them heartfelt over the top undiscerning (imo) five star ratings all over the place. Occasionally a new band or album challenges the set in stone heirarchy but all too rarely and generally the gatekeepers of truth will knock these albums or bands down.  Ultimately does it matter? The top 100 looks reasonably sensible so the 'system' works does it not?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 16:49
I have had that happen. I gave Autumn Breeze's "Hostbris" a so-so review. Didn't trash to but didn't put it in the most positive light either. I was contacted by Jan Warnqvist when "Pa Radio" and "Demo Tapes" came out and felt a bit guilty about accepting the albums for review. A funny thing happened. The passage of time and listening to the new releases gave me a greater appreciation for the music. So I went back and rewrote the review.

Every so often now I go back over my old reviews to see if I still agree with myself. 

Edited by bhikkhu - October 13 2014 at 16:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 11:07
Opinions change as musical tastes change, that's what keeps an interest in music so vital. Most people will 'discover' different music forms because their musical heroes often do. One minute you're listening to heavy metal and before you know it, you're listening to world music. What you once thought was crap you may now find challenging and often difficult to play (or even tune!). Change and growth is the spice of life!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 13:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Really good question. My feeling is that most prog is good. Any musician with ability and a determination to do something beyond the ordinary deserves a lot of respect. I am very reluctant to trash anything unless I think the band is being 'lazy' or sloppy but how often do you get that? I think we are far too hung up on ratings. More than once I've had to explain why ELP only have one album in the top 100. I genuinely don't care whether they have 1 or 5 albums but it seems to be a concern to many who see it as a rubber stamp of them not being that good. A common held opinion but then I just see a lot of music as being 'overrated'. Genesis , Yes and King Crimson are well overrated but people love them and have grown up with them and give them heartfelt over the top undiscerning (imo) five star ratings all over the place. Occasionally a new band or album challenges the set in stone heirarchy but all too rarely and generally the gatekeepers of truth will knock these albums or bands down.  Ultimately does it matter? The top 100 looks reasonably sensible so the 'system' works does it not?

You raise some points that I forgot to mention in my post: I too do not care for the ratings. I hate having to rate an album after I've written a review. I think it demeans the value of music, and popping a numeric value on music is to me rather futile. 
Be that as it may, when I said yes to the admin role, I too signed up for the safeguarding of the site - and how it works. This means that I have to pay attention to the ratings. The more people are concerned about them and the general placing of X album, the more I have to look into these matters.
Anyway, like I mentioned, if this truly is the main platform for the site: a musical competition made up of thousands of different people awarding stars to albums, - then there has got to be some meaning to it. Some honesty.
This is also why I reacted the way I did, when I saw rdprog's post. 

Oh and regarding new albums breaking the top 100; I don't really care. If they're good then hell yeah welcome to the top of the progs!!! But many of these are catapulted into the show by members who review one album and bam they're gone - never to be seen again. Friends of the band reviewing - or simply reviewers who throw 5 stars at anything that is good. Good = 5 stars, Bad = 1 star. 

In a (my) perfect world, there would be no ratings at all, only reviews and the forum banter behind the scenes.

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2014 at 14:14

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

...I was looking at my reviews and saw a couple ratings that I disagreed with, wasn't sure whether to keep them or change them to how I feel now. I was curious how often this happens to reviewers in particular because their words typically match how they felt about the album at that point and the rating reflects that.

I'm not a great fan of the ratings, but they do tell an interesting story, however untrue and not informative they can be. I kinda think that they tend to hide something else, and that would be an individual's own ability to make up their own mind. Like the social milieu that is forcing religion and morals through the media, "ratings" are a way to tell you, what you should like and not like, and as time goes by, an individual loses the ability to make their own mind and opinions -- and these folks are always gullible and susceptible to what everyone says and they don't.

Edited by moshkito - October 16 2014 at 23:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 19:31
I have tried over the years to buy albums that I will enjoy, and in order to do that I read a lot of reviews and opinions first, but I still end up with a lot of music i'm not that into. In a perfect world all my music would be 4 or 5 star recordings, I have no desire to own a band's complete discography if some of their albums are average to poor. So I guess i'm not a true collector in that sense. 
As far as changing my ratings and opinions, I do it quite frequently. My tastes have changed over the years and i'd like my ratings to be up to date.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 19:51
Well, I have developed a system in that I stay away from albums I know i won't like. A vegetarian should not critique a steakhouse, so it makes no sense for me to review a hip-hop or country album because I hold long standing and negative opinions about these genres. I will review only what I buy (or get from selected artists) that have a chance of me being appreciative of their style or effort.  I also stay away from Tech and Math because I just know too little about it, so whom am I to bash, bully or praise?The harsher metal and such also remain outside of my boundaries. I stick to what I know best , research and read other valued opinions mostly here on PA , listen to samples and decide to purchase. Then, I will listen once overall (often unimpressed ) and then twice intensely before I commit to words. My opinions rarely change because I try to get it or else I won't venture an opinion. On a rare occasion, the first spin through will hit me in the face and drool accordingly. This may be rigid formula but it works for me. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Gotrek1966 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 02:08
I originally gave Gandalf's Fists "A Forest of Fey" 4 stars then upped it to 5. Why? Because I thought it deserved full marks and my original score of 4 was probably incorrect after rereading my review. 

Edited by Gotrek1966 - October 22 2014 at 02:10
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 03:25
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I was looking at my reviews and saw a couple ratings that I disagreed with, wasn't sure whether to keep them or change them to how I feel now. I was curious how often this happens to reviewers in particular because their words typically match how they felt about the album at that point and the rating reflects that. 

Have any of you looked over reviews and decided to change the rating to fit how you currently feel about the album? Or do you always have confidence in your ratings that every time you look back at it, you always agree?

I know opinions change about music but I was just curious about how people think about this. 

Depends on the review. Depends on the album. Depends on a number of things.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 22 2014 at 03:36
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 03:56
The albums I've reviewed are ones that I've heard many times/I'm very confident in writing, so they rarely change compared to ratings. Stuff like King Crimson's debut, which isn't my favourite album anymore, I just sort of alter the wording on, but it's never that drastic. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 06:06
I've been listening to music for long enough that my opinions don't change anymore...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've been listening to music for long enough that my opinions don't change anymore...
Then you haven't lived long enough! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:51
they do change, but sometimes when I re-listen to an album I realize there was a reason I gave the review I did, for better or worse.  So I don't often change ratings.  Sometimes I correct typos in old reviews, but generally a review and rating can only be stated to reflect my opinion and rating at that moment in time (even if my current opinion is usually similar anyway), and, since the review has a date, all is ok.  I'd rather review something new than dramatically change an old review anyway

Edited by kenethlevine - October 22 2014 at 12:52
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 04:39
I wrote my first reviews for PA about 9 years ago, and they are very different in style, tone and length from the ones I write today. Most of my early reviews are of albums that are part of my collection - many of which I grew up with - and occasionally I have realized that my view of some of them has changed over the years. Now that I have decided to come back to PA, I may change some of the ratings I gave years ago. There may also be other factors that may convince me to reconsider my opinion of an album: for instance, hearing the same music performed live, which usually improves most recorded material.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 05:43
When it comes to ratings, I belong to Gnosis2000 rating site, and we are encouraged to update our ratings very often (ideally every time we revisit an album).... But then again, we're a fairly closed circle.
For PA, I'll readjust the ratings when touching over a review... but it's not like I'll downgrade an album by two stars or somethng... more an adjustement in the view of the rest of a band's other releases, on order to be more coherent with myself and others.

I actually think that way more reviewers should do this: rating an album in the context of other albums in the band's discography and even in the "genre".... ex: is Genesis' Duke really not as good as Yes' Drama that it warrants one less star??

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Plenty of my opinions have changed. Also, my opinion on plenty my reviews has changed (many of my reviews suck). I'm just too lazy to correct either discrepancy. 

I must say that I've gone back and re-written many reviews on PA, partly because my early stuff is embarrassing, but also sometimes something "clicked" (or in rarer cases 'unclicked") and I've totally re-written my reviews - often for a whole band.

I'm currently in the process of thinking it all out for Crimson, but lack often the energy. Sleepy

I've kind of lost the drive to write reviews too. I sometimes wonder how useful they are nowadays, now that you can sample so much on the web that one might not need reviews to encourage an acquisition anymore.

In some cases, I tend to read reviews after I got the album and even after reviewed it... Just in case someone understood something I didn't catch.

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

How can you be sure that your current opinion is more "real" than the old one?

if the original one was 'prejudiced' by circumstances.

or simply written a bit quickly... In Gnosis2000, they advise us not to rate a new (to you) album higher than 11 (out of 15), because of the novelty factor (and the over-enthusiasm of a discovery). You're suppposed to go back at it a few months later and move it up or down. In my case, it (rating) rarely goes up.

really disagree here Smile  >> this would lead to an overwhelming sea of highly over-rated albums and induce us into error. Ideally, the music industry would love us (and other sites) to act up this way.

I've been thanked many times over for my conservative ratings, precisely because I'm relatively severe in my ratings. People like it when you tell them to avoid something in a band's discography  or wait until a second wave of investigation to get album XYZ

Edited by Sean Trane - October 27 2014 at 05:53
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>