Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviews: Opinions Change

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 16:30

Hi,

This is such a scary thread!

I am not a machine, and neither am I a person that does not think and update/upgrade his internal knowledge of himself, or the world ... so to speak.

I write reviews, over 500 film reviews, over 100 record reviews (almost none here on PA ... don't ask me why!) and a lot of book reviews, and a lot of concert reviews. That said, ALL OF THEM, were a very specific feeling in that moment of time, and that feeling has absolutely nothing to do with today or tomorrow or further back in time.

So would I review KC's 1st, better today, than I did yesterday? Or vice versa.

TRIVIAL .... totally TRIVIAL.

I have been replacing the majority of my LP collection with CD's. And I made the decision, 600 LP's ago (almost 3 years), that I would re-listen to ALL OF THEM in its entirety. My opinion of any of the music has not changed. In fact, I would say, that my appreciation of a LOT OF THE MUSIC has been re-kindled ... I hadn't heard most of Goblin soundtracks for 30 years, for example, or Cluster, or too many other things, and all of a sudden, they sound just as neat as they did then when I got excited enough to spend money on the LP at the time from 1968 all the way to today.

Has it all changed? I think we believe we changed more than anything, but for me, the only thing that changed is that some folks then were too damn stoned to even know what music WAS!!!!!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:48
I think we just review for our own sake so like anything you just do it because you want to. However is it a waste of time and energy when there are loads of other albums out there still to be reviewed and rated? Yep!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 17:56
yeah. I don't think a second about the reviews I did, they were the work of a complete amateur who had zero talent, not like some of you do. Some of your reviews are simply pleasures to read.

However if I was to change any of mine .. I'd have not given that DT album 5 stars.  Oh how I was proud of that one. God how the furr flew and the reports of review maleficence came in to the admins when I did that.  However I think I nailed the album in my review.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 19:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah. I don't think a second about the reviews I did, they were the work of a complete amateur who had zero talent, not like some of you do. Some of your reviews are simply pleasures to read.

However if I was to change any of mine .. I'd have not given that DT album 5 stars.  Oh how I was proud of that one. God how the furr flew and the reports of review maleficence came in to the admins when I did that.  However I think I nailed the album in my review.

Yeah, but it was a statement. The reaction to it was the whole message. I especially loved the head scratching from people who missed the point entirely. Agree or disagree with the act itself, the resulting conversation it sparked was the true value.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 19:24
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Yeah, but it was a statement. The reaction to it was the whole message. I especially loved the head scratching from people who missed the point entirely. Agree or disagree with the act itself, the resulting conversation it sparked was the true value.

Indeed. People are way too used to fanboy reviews (and this site is not the worst offender, in spite of what many may think) to appreciate a controversial yet thoroughly honest review like the one my better half wrote of DT's Scenes from a Memory. On my blog I don't give ratings, so I have often written positive reviews of albums I didn't particularly care for, but whose quality could hardly be denied. When you have to give a numerical rating (as on most reviews sites), it is very hard to separate our personal tastes from a fair-minded assessment of an album's strengths and weaknesses.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 20:05
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

method to the madness my friend! Heart  Good times.

Speaking of, for kicks I had to reread that review. I guess I had already dropped it, funny because I have since found a prog metal 'classic' that I LOVE and that would sure as hell get 5 stars.  Perhaps instead of chumming the waters here I should get off my ass and see if I can muster some reviewing magic and see if I do that album justice.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 06:25

Don't shortsell yourself, Micky...Smile

I bseem to remember a few brilliant Steely Dan reviews of yours....Clap

You have it in you, you just have to apply yourself at it... Practice makes , if not perfect, at least better. Wink

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 06:30
thanks bro!! Heart

Great to see you still around and kicking!  I suppose I did have some good ones, however staring in the sun as I do with Raff, whose reviews I admire and envy her for, sort of can leave one blind to one's own work.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 15:07

I'm not sure that second guessing what you said helps ... one needs to learn to express himself/herself, and second guessing is the worst offender that will prevent that ability from coming out. As a writer, this is the most important thing to learn, because it stops the flow of the story that is living in your head!!!!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 19:07
I don't think one should change ratings after their given. Those ratings reflects an honest opinion at the time.

If your opinion has changed one should just make an additional review with the than correct rating.

Don't burry the past or try to rewrite history, it was an other you that you kill with changing, and his opinion is as valid as yours now is.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 04:12
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

I don't think one should change ratings after their given. Those ratings reflects an honest opinion at the time.

If your opinion has changed one should just make an additional review with the than correct rating.

Don't burry the past or try to rewrite history, it was an other you that you kill with changing, and his opinion is as valid as yours now is.

I must admit I did write a completely different review for Vangelis -Mask. I didn't get that album at all initially and then grew to love it. I could have left my original review intact but I don't understand what that achieves if I'm honest. The whole leave the original review alone carries very little logic. Its not about second guessing its about simply updating your feelings and thoughts about something. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 07:22
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I'm not sure that second guessing what you said helps ... one needs to learn to express himself/herself, and second guessing is the worst offender that will prevent that ability from coming out. As a writer, this is the most important thing to learn, because it stops the flow of the story that is living in your head!!!!!

excellent point.. excellent point.  Some Micky points for you.  When I was doing my reviews here my life was in turmoil and the reviews were a product of my state of mind.  Extreme sadness and destruction of what little self confidence I had at the ugly end of a unhappy marriage, and the hope of having found love and happiness through Raff on this site. 

That said I really didn't have voice, a style. I am more and more tempted to take up reviewing again.  During my years away from the site I have honed my writing skills significantly doing creative writings for some of my outside gaming interests.  I'd like to see how well that, along with a more stable and confident state of mind would translate to musical reviews.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 10:55

... When I was doing my reviews here my life was in turmoil and the reviews were a product of my state of mind.  Extreme sadness and destruction of what little self confidence I had at the ugly end of a unhappy marriage, and the hope of having found love and happiness through Raff on this site.  ...

I will admit that I'm not the happiest person in the world, and never been married. But I found out 25 years ago, that I was married to my work, and no woman has ever been able to show me any better, or otherwise.

I know that sounds pathetic, but in the end, I am not into the "social" and "political" ideas that the media tends to bring out to ensure that you are just another person out there, just like everyone else, with 2.1 kids and a house and a car, and in debt for the rest of your life!

Another example of this social nothingness, is people that went to college and not a single course they took is helping them, or how many of them look at college just because of a girl or some fun, and not the education! I can quote lines from just about all the professors and studies I did, and the plays I directed.

AND ALL OF IT, has taught me a few things.

Mainly ART, be it whatever discipline we call it, is an internal expression, and it might mean something that we can discern or not. The problem is (here is a perfect example!), that we don't believe in art anymore, and have replaced it with top ten, because we're too lazy to learn and study how someone else sees things.

We don't understand, what the theater world calls "eccentric", for example, and we only look at many of those folks as anti-social, but in the end, they are not ... they are illuminating their inner vision ... and that is ALL THAT I DO. I concentrate on that and what folks say, is not important ... I know my inner paints and colors ... they don't!

Sorry about the .... long article. It's hard to explain the depth of feeling, regardless of who you are!

www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 17:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I will admit that I'm not the happiest person in the world, and never been married. But I found out 25 years ago, that I was married to my work, and no woman has ever been able to show me any better, or otherwise.

It sure isn't something anyone should jump into if one that doesn't find that right one.  I felt I had the first time and it nearly killed me, the wreckage of that on my psyche I doubt time or Raff will ever heal in full.  It was a devastating life experience.  I'd rather be dead than divorced again.

I know that sounds pathetic, but in the end, I am not into the "social" and "political" ideas that the media tends to bring out to ensure that you are just another person out there, just like everyone else, with 2.1 kids and a house and a car, and in debt for the rest of your life!

I think it goes just a bit beyond that, some people just want to share their lives and grow old with people they love.  I don't think that is social or political brainwashing.. it is as much human nature as it is to kill and inflict suffering on those we don't love, those different from us.

Another example of this social nothingness, is people that went to college and not a single course they took is helping them, or how many of them look at college just because of a girl or some fun, and not the education! I can quote lines from just about all the professors and studies I did, and the plays I directed. 

Hah.  Damn right about that. I got pushed into college by my parents, then by a woman who thought it is what I should do with my life. 8 years of college later and only a semester short of graduating with 2 degrees I dropped out and finally decided I was going to not do what was expected of me, by family and my wife, but do what I wanted to do with me. Neither my family nor my wife ever forgave me for it.  However after almost 20 years doing what I do, I still go to work every single damn day looking forward to the challenges and what each day might bring at work. f**k sitting and growing fat behind a desk.  All that college, which I finally finished paying off this year, did not go to waste.  I did not learn a job, I became 'educated'. I learned to think and learned discipline as I had to balance a demanding . Something further reinforced by time in the service. Something I use every single damn day.

AND ALL OF IT, has taught me a few things.

Mainly ART, be it whatever discipline we call it, is an internal expression, and it might mean something that we can discern or not. The problem is (here is a perfect example!), that we don't believe in art anymore, and have replaced it with top ten, because we're too lazy to learn and study how someone else sees things.

all too sad.. and all too true

We don't understand, what the theater world calls "eccentric", for example, and we only look at many of those folks as anti-social, but in the end, they are not ... they are illuminating their inner vision ... and that is ALL THAT I DO. I concentrate on that and what folks say, is not important ... I know my inner paints and colors ... they don't!

Sorry about the .... long article. It's hard to explain the depth of feeling, regardless of who you are!

For what it is worth, I think I am picking up what you are putting down.  I appreciate the thoughts! Beer

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2014 at 18:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I must admit I did write a completely different review for Vangelis -Mask. I didn't get that album at all initially and then grew to love it. I could have left my original review intact but I don't understand what that achieves if I'm honest. The whole leave the original review alone carries very little logic. Its not about second guessing its about simply updating your feelings and thoughts about something. 

What I mean is, your initial review and rating was a correct point of view, so it would be fine to be left intact. however your point of view of the album has altered, and that's also a valid point. combined that gives insight in how such an album can be perceived over time. When altering the (entire) review you overwrite the first perception which IMO is a loss of valuable information. So I think a new extra review would be great, but due to other considerations that shouldn't be done, so I do think you could edit your review, leave it in tact and add a couple of paragraphs and explain why you change the rating (if that's what you think is the correct thing to do). and add the new perception to your view.

(BTW I'm not talking about rewriting a "badly" written review and improving on that, that's to be applauded)

But in the end it's always at the discression of the reviewer what to do with your own review. I'm writing from the perspective of a scientist and analyticus, I hate information to be destroyed, maybe discarded, but never destroyed.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 02:02

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

What I mean is, your initial review and rating was a correct point of view, so it would be fine to be left intact. however your point of view of the album has altered, and that's also a valid point. combined that gives insight in how such an album can be perceived over time. When altering the (entire) review you overwrite the first perception which IMO is a loss of valuable information. So I think a new extra review would be great, but due to other considerations that shouldn't be done, so I do think you could edit your review, leave it in tact and add a couple of paragraphs and explain why you change the rating (if that's what you think is the correct thing to do). and add the new perception to your view.

(BTW I'm not talking about rewriting a "badly" written review and improving on that, that's to be applauded)

But in the end it's always at the discression of the reviewer what to do with your own review. I'm writing from the perspective of a scientist and analyticus, I hate information to be destroyed, maybe discarded, but never destroyed.

Good point. I have also updated reviews in this way as well.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2014 at 04:29
It's a long time ago I've last reviewed music, but I do still occasionally write book reviews on GoodReads. I know that music and literature are very different media, however one constant re ains: If a book is a work of fiction I only change my opinion upon a re-read, with non-fiction it's a bit different since criticism from other readers is much more objective in nature as it's often a simple matter of fact-checking.

When I radically change my opinion on music, the latter sometimes happens if I read a critique of a record or genre or whatever that's exceptionally convincing and well thought-out but that does not happen quite as often as it used to. It's more when I revisit a record I haven't listened to in a long time and my entire perspective or at least frame of reference has changed so much that I'm evaluating it from a completely different set of standards.

Of course, this brings in the complication that music is - just like works of fiction etc. - much harder to criticize objectively than a biography or a documentary.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123