Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kartmaze (Norway) for Prog Related or Crossover
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKartmaze (Norway) for Prog Related or Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kartmaze View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kartmaze (Norway) for Prog Related or Crossover
    Posted: October 13 2014 at 09:56
Not sure about the sub-genre here. I'd personally call it synth prog, but I've guesstimated Prog Related (EDIT: as one suggested here, Crossover Prog might be more suitable). It's very much inspired by bands like Dream Theater, Ayreon, Shadow Gallery, Circus Maximus and many more, but the music itself is mostly electronically produced with MIDI and VSTs as the main instruments, and therefore I guess it doesn't really fit into the more traditional prog rock/metal genres.

About a year ago I posted a thread here, but the music turned out to not fit the prog format sufficiently (it was at the time very chiptune-esque). Now I have released a new album which is much more "hi-fi" sounding, and I really hope that this can fit the format a bit better genre wise. I will not include the chip part of the music in the discography since I know it doesn't really fit.

If someone from the genre team wants to listen to the music, I'd suggest starting with Lighthouse pt. IV: The Reef or Lighthouse pt. VII: The Light.

Bio:
"Kartmaze is the artist name of Mads Aasvik, based in Trondheim, Norway. After releasing an instrumental progressive chiptune album called Seven Journeys to a New Home in 2013, he began replacing the chiptune sound with more high fidelity and accoustic elements. In 2014 he released the concept album The Lighthouse, which best can be desribed as instrumental synth prog.
Inspired by bands like Dream Theater, Ayreon, Symphony X, Shadow Gallery, Circus Maximus and many others, Kartmaze's music is both technical, melodic and dynamic, wrapped inside a synth package with occational orchestral elements."

Bandcamp
Soundcloud

The Lighthouse (2014)

1. Lighthouse: Overture (06:01)
2. Lighthouse pt. I: The Waves (09:33)   
3. Lighthouse pt. II: The Storm (08:01)
4. Lighthouse pt. III: The Birds 01:05)
5. Lighthouse pt. IV: The Reef (12:11)
6. Lighthouse pt. V: The Sunrise (02:16)
7. Lighthouse pt. VI: The Ships (05:54)
8. Lighthouse pt. VII: The Light (11:03)
9. Lighthouse pt. VIII: The Sunset (01:53)

Written, arranged and produced by Mads Aasvik
Mixed and mastered by Stein Bratland and Mads Aasvik at Skansen Lydstudio, Trondheim, Norway
Artwork by Nikolai Lockertsen (lockertsen.net)
Published by Ubiktune (ubiktune.com)

Other links:
Facebook (official news and updates)
Twitter (official news and updates)

Edited by kartmaze - October 13 2014 at 10:18
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 10:15
Nice music, very "video-gamey". Wink
I think the most appropriate sub-genre is Crossover Prog Ermm