Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLove Beach, Anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What's the one song you can bare the most of this seminal classic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [5.56%]
1 [5.56%]
2 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.11%]
6 [33.33%]
6 [33.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 15:32
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

From what I remember reading back in the day, both ELP's Love Beach and Yes' Tormato (each from 1978) could be filed under the "contractual obligation" department.

true although most albums are recorded under contractural obligations so I suspect its a moot point. If ELP were really desperate to get out of doing it I'm sure they could have.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 20:42
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

From what I remember reading back in the day, both ELP's Love Beach and Yes' Tormato (each from 1978) could be filed under the "contractual obligation" department.

true although most albums are recorded under contractural obligations so I suspect its a moot point. If ELP were really desperate to get out of doing it I'm sure they could have.

I use "contractual obligation" here as meaning the last in a series of albums contracted for and subsequently recorded to finalize the contract and obligation to the record company. That's generally been the term's meaning in the American press.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 01:40
Keith doesn't lug around a Modular set-up to The Bahamas if he didn't want to work on an album......(he should've just taken his Hammonds.   I'm sure the album would've sounded better......
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 02:23

I use "contractual obligation" here as meaning the last in a series of albums contracted for and subsequently recorded to finalize the contract and obligation to the record company. That's generally been the term's meaning in the American press.

What about 'In Concert'?  That was also released on Atlantic and was hastily put together by Keith Emerson.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 02:27
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Keith doesn't lug around a Modular set-up to The Bahamas if he didn't want to work on an album......(he should've just taken his Hammonds.   I'm sure the album would've sounded better......

Once Keith Emerson got hold of the Yamaha GX1 the other keyboards took a back seat on all Keith Emerson's work right through until about 1989 (perhaps that was when the tractor ran into itLOL ). 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 08:48

Once Keith Emerson got hold of the Yamaha GX1 the other keyboards took a back seat on all Keith Emerson's work right through until about 1989 (perhaps that was when the tractor ran into itLOL ). 

It was part of an altogether separate contract perhaps (meant as a reply to richardh's comment about "In Concert")?

Edited by Rednight - October 27 2014 at 08:50
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 09:02
I haven't listened to that one in a long time so don't recall the songs well....and I no longer have a copy.
So....no vote.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 18:45

It was part of an altogether separate contract perhaps (meant as a reply to richardh's comment about "In Concert")?

I don't know but In Concert was supposed to be a double album originally but Atlantic refused to release it in that format instead just allowing a single album version. This was against Keith Emerson's wishes so I find it odd that they agreed a new contract and then were immediately at odds with the record company. I reckon Love Beach is just assumed to be a contractual obligation album because the band needed a get out clause for making such a weak album. It suits them for it to be thought of as such instead of what it is - a largely uninspired collection of music by a band that was fading away.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 00:52
^ I have a VHS with the full performance - with the Rondo extravaganza - and it would've worked much better as a complete 2LP product than the half-assed single In Concert offering. I do enjoy much of it, but find Greg's 8-string bass rather tinny and spiky (lacking bottom-end oomph.....)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 02:55

^ I have a VHS with the full performance - with the Rondo extravaganza - and it would've worked much better as a complete 2LP product than the half-assed single In Concert offering. I do enjoy much of it, but find Greg's 8-string bass rather tinny and spiky (lacking bottom-end oomph.....)

I've got that and there is an obvious sound fault with it as I'm sure you can hear. It wasn't intended to be mono but one of the channels failed during the performance so the poor sound is almost certainly because of that.

In Concert was later reissued as Works Live but it has a truly ghastly edit of Fanfare For The Common Man that drags it down massively. 

The best ELP live album from that period is the Nassau Coliseum one which includes decent versions of Pictures , Fanfare and Tarkus. It hangs together much better.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 06:22
I am curious if there are ANY live versions of songs from Love Beach. That would be interesting.....
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 10:32

I don't know but In Concert was supposed to be a double album originally but Atlantic refused to release it in that format instead just allowing a single album version. This was against Keith Emerson's wishes so I find it odd that they agreed a new contract and then were immediately at odds with the record company. I reckon Love Beach is just assumed to be a contractual obligation album because the band needed a get out clause for making such a weak album. It suits them for it to be thought of as such instead of what it is - a largely uninspired collection of music by a band that was fading away.

Points well taken. As for the lackluster product In Concert, it's interesting that Amazon.com wants around $406 for its 1989 CD and a still pricey $27 for the 2008 CD. Obviously a rare release, sure, but still, for those prices? I remember having the cassette of In Concert, losing it, and then not missing it at all. There must be some real aficionados of the album out there.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 15:37

Points well taken. As for the lackluster product In Concert, it's interesting that Amazon.com wants around $406 for its 1989 CD and a still pricey $27 for the 2008 CD. Obviously a rare release, sure, but still, for those prices? I remember having the cassette of In Concert, losing it, and then not missing it at all. There must be some real aficionados of the album out there.

quickly checks that I still have my 1989 print of the CD ... nopeCensored

I used to have the vinyl which included the large blow out photo of the road crew ,orchestra and the juggernauts. That was probably the best thing about it.

Edited by richardh - October 28 2014 at 15:38
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 15:47

quickly checks that I still have my 1989 print of the CD ... nopeCensored

I used to have the vinyl which included the large blow out photo of the road crew ,orchestra and the juggernauts. That was probably the best thing about it.

Isn't there a picture like that in the literature for Works Live?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12