Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Sabbath and unusual time signatures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Sabbath and unusual time signatures
    Posted: October 13 2014 at 17:46
I've read that Black Sabbath started out as a blues and jazz band and those elements kind of leaked into some of their songs. I've been trying out figure out the time signature for three of their songs - "The Wizard", "Cornucopia" and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath". Any idea what they are?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Ludjak View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludjak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 18:47
As far as I can remember, all three tunes are in 4/4 (although "Cornucopia" is mostly a shuffle, and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" goes into a shuffle-like groove towards the end as well). There are a couple of syncopated beats here and there, possibly hinting at the blues/jazz connection you mentioned.

"Planet Caravan" is probably the closest thing to "jazz" that Sabbath ever recorded, though. They did make humble, but honest efforts to experiment in their early years.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2014 at 19:19
I drummed along to the songs in my head and your explanation makes sense.  Thanks. Thumbs Up
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:02
Always thought Cornucopia had some strange rhythm.....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 19:16
13/16, 7/8, 11/16. What was the question again? Tongue

Edited by SteveG - October 18 2014 at 19:23
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 21:40
Sabbath never really did odd-times sigs, though the intro to Computer God has some 7/8 riff at the start.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 23:52
^^^  Yup.  That, and also the intro to Master of Insanity is kind of jazzy.  But that's it.  
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog_Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2014 at 22:38
Not sure about odd time signatures but they did some pretty prog sounding stuff imo including some things from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 09:57
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

13/16, 7/8, 11/16. What was the question again? Tongue
Seriously, BS never had truly odd time signatures but their change in time signatures was always abrupt without feeling awkward. No mean feat.

Edited by SteveG - October 21 2014 at 15:10
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 03:20
Moved to the prog related part of the forum.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 04:02
You don't have to read about the blues & jazz influence, you can hear it all through their music, heavy metal is essentially blues-based.   As for odd times, I think if they had imposed odd sigs the music would'nt have had the appeal or impact that it did. 
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 10:41
^Agreed. Good point.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 21:38
Don't know so much about those unusual time signatures regarding a hard rock band as Black Sabbath as well. Imho, the most proggy songs by them are A National Acrobat, Gipsy, Johnny Blade, Juniors Eyes, Air Dance  & The Sign Of Southern Cross.

Edited by Svetonio - October 23 2014 at 21:39
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TODDLER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 11:25
"The Wizard" swings and there are many times when Bill Ward will be accenting significant hits during his rolls or what drummer used to call back then..."Roundhouses". This is a drum technique applied during the "Swing era" Ringo Starr used to play like this in 64' and 65' where it's clearly demonstrated on early recordings of The Beatles..that he has the ability to play "Big Band Jazz". I like the harp playing. It's a very interesting "dark" kind of Rock song and not just some fly by night attempt to sound heavy and dark with copy cat elements.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 06:29
^ You mention 'The Wizard'.
Yes, Bill did put in some clever playing for this tune, and he was definitely a fine drummer throughout his tenure with the band.
Funny info here, just yesterday, I took my afternoon smoko, and this big tough bald guy hopped in his 4-wheel drive and I heard Lonely Is The Word.
Yeah, Dio Sabbath.......
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 08:46
Don't know anything about odd time sigs but the Wizard reminds me of a 'blues rave up' and something that The Yardbirds with Beck and Page might have done.
The first Sabbath album is still my favorite.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 11:20
^Same for me. Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath is an absolute classic!

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 14:55
I love the dramatic tempo change halfway through "Megalomania" from the Sabotage album. Almost 40 years later, I still headbang to that epic monster of a song.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 16:18
Soundgarden were often called "what Black Sabbath would have sounded like, if they Incorporated odd-time signatures"
greatnorthstar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greatnorthstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 06:57
just to resurrect an old thread. the live version of 'wicked world' on 'live at last'/'past lives' has an extended jazz section that rocks. 

bill ward was schooled in jazz drumming. tony iommi is no mean jazz guitarist and geezer butler can turn his hand to any genre. 

this song was a staple in the set up until '73/'74 and there are many bootleg versions of these tune with breakout improvised jazz sections in the middle. recommended. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>