Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSex=/=Prog: Yes? No? Good? Bad? Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2014 at 15:42
Originally posted by bloodnarfer bloodnarfer wrote:

The Musical Box is alarmingly pretty damn sexual. Kid gets his head knocked off and comes back as an old man... first thing he wants to do is molest a little girl??

Daniel Gildenlow has an entire album devoted to having a sexual encounter at age 10

Also, Comus.

Seems like when prog explores sex it tends to be in a dark and disturbing kind of way rather than a boink some shawtys kind of way
Agreed, but as my signature states: Even a broken watch is right twice a day. That doesn't turn the whole situation around.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 20:08

Overt sexuality in lyrics or not, any music can be suitable for “getting it on.”

Now, having made that great insight…

I’m surprised no one brought up Locomotive Breath.

And let’s not forget the Strawbs, with their

I feel her nipples at my fingertips... (Fingertips)

and

I sucked on your breasts, your legs opened wide
I could scarcely believe all the pleasures inside
But now I know how it feels to be old
Out in the cold. (Out in the Cold)

And how about Barclay James Harvest:

You rip up my heart you just tear it apart

As I shoot all my love into you…

Lovin’ is easy with both eyes closed

Just get a hold and watch how it grows. (Loving Is Easy)

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 09:35
Frankly....I don't really care if there is any overt sexual content in prog rock or in pop rock either for that matter, though it probably is ubiquitous in pop since sex sells to the masses and it's easy to write lyrics about bangin' yer main squeeze.

ed for spelling

Edited by dr wu23 - October 21 2014 at 11:39
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 10:03
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Overt sexuality in lyrics or not, any music can be suitable for “getting it on.”

Now, having made that great insight…

I’m surprised no one brought up Locomotive Breath.

And let’s not forget the Strawbs, with their

I feel her nipples at my fingertips... (Fingertips)

and

I sucked on your breasts, your legs opened wide
I could scarcely believe all the pleasures inside
But now I know how it feels to be old
Out in the cold. (Out in the Cold)

And how about Barclay James Harvest:

You rip up my heart you just tear it apart

As I shoot all my love into you…

Lovin’ is easy with both eyes closed

Just get a hold and watch how it grows. (Loving Is Easy)

Yes, I know of these two songs but as I stated in another a post, they are rarities and not the general lyrical trend that's fond in Prog.

Edited by SteveG - October 21 2014 at 10:17
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Frankly....I don't really care if there is any overt sexual content in prog rock or in pop rock either for that matter, though it probably is ubiquitous in pop since sex sells to the masses and it's easy to right lyrics about bangin' yer main squeeze.
To be truthful Doc, at my age and level of maturity, overtly sexual content is not important to me either. The post was only a way to view one of the obvious differences in Prog vs other rock and pop forms and frankly, I thought more members would have approved due to the sexual over kill found in the other music forms.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 10:11
You don't find a lot of sex in prog because proggers follow that famous piece of writing advice and write about what they know.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

You don't find a lot of sex in prog because proggers follow that famous piece of writing advice and write about what they know.
 LOL
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:46
"Jumbo" by Curved Air, "Think Of Me With Kindness" by Gentle Giant, and "I'm Hoping Love Will Last" by Steve Hackett touch upon the romantic side to relationships...(I believe?)...I believe "Jumbo" could be about missing someone in particular and wanting to arrive home and exit the plane to see them..although John Lennon once said something about everyone adapting a song  to their own experience if they like and that it was perfectly okay to do that. 

Sex in relation to Rock music has been taken to the extreme over decades anyway and for me it's a burden to explain to people in the audience that it isn't always that way. Many original Blues masters from the Mississippi delta and Chicago had been deprived of sex through the tragic environment of slavery. It may also have been out of desperation that they wrote such lyrics because of the times they were living in where upon sex was bad and disrespectful just as Ray Davies quote in "Victoria" that sex was bad and making reference to life in the pretense in England or complaining about the current lifestyle and rules of the British in THOSE times. Also take into account that a white man would not be judged for rape , but a black man would.All these tragic experiences seemed to be evident in the Blues. The stories of sex and the unfairness of it in the South or the desperation to have sex and a world of their own which no man ruled over.   Blues and Rock n' Roll ruled over these trials when it became appealing to a white audience. You wouldn't be discussing who you had sex with to a slave owner from the South unless you wanted to be abused or punished. Maybe not in all cases, but it certainly seemed that way to me. I assume if you protested against the rape of your girlfriend/backstreet girl/wife by a slave owner you would be executed and I've discovered Blues lyrics relating to that. Some of the sexy lyrics in Blues contain references to voodoo/mojo, witchcraft, and a desperate cry to be with a woman.  Words like "honey bee" and so on...were sexual. 

In the past...Prog has covered the areas of Gnosticism where it was not thought of as kindly measures to be feeling proud of an imperfect world and an imperfect body or flesh garment. Prog has also spoken of Satan in a ritualistic way. It has often made reference to having sex with demons or even Satan himself. Prog touches upon the subject of sexual intercourse through a religious or supernatural experience. Blues touch upon the same ideals , but was more "down to earth" with riddles and sexual references in the style of street talk. 

Edited by TODDLER - October 22 2014 at 13:52
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 13:43

I'm proud to know more about shining flying purple wolfhounds than sex.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:16
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

"Jumbo" by Curved Air, "Think Of Me With Kindness" by Gentle Giant, and "I'm Hoping Love Will Last" by Steve Hackett touch upon the romantic side to relationships...(I believe?)...I believe "Jumbo" could be about missing someone in particular and wanting to arrive home and exit the plane to see them..although John Lennon once said something about everyone adapting a song  to their own experience if they like and that it was perfectly okay to do that. 

Sex in relation to Rock music has been taken to the extreme over decades anyway and for me it's a burden to explain to people in the audience that it isn't always that way. Many original Blues masters from the Mississippi delta and Chicago had been deprived of sex through the tragic environment of slavery. It may also have been out of desperation that they wrote such lyrics because of the times they were living in where upon sex was bad and disrespectful just as Ray Davies quote in "Victoria" that sex was bad and making reference to life in the pretense in England or complaining about the current lifestyle and rules of the British in THOSE times. Also take into account that a white man would not be judged for rape , but a black man would.All these tragic experiences seemed to be evident in the Blues. The stories of sex and the unfairness of it in the South or the desperation to have sex and a world of their own which no man ruled over.   Blues and Rock n' Roll ruled over these trials when it became appealing to a white audience. You wouldn't be discussing who you had sex with to a slave owner from the South unless you wanted to be abused or punished. Maybe not in all cases, but it certainly seemed that way to me. I assume if you protested against the rape of your girlfriend/backstreet girl/wife by a slave owner you would be executed and I've discovered Blues lyrics relating to that. Some of the sexy lyrics in Blues contain references to voodoo/mojo, witchcraft, and a desperate cry to be with a woman.  Words like "honey bee" and so on...were sexual. 

In the past...Prog has covered the areas of Gnosticism where it was not thought of as kindly measures to be feeling proud of an imperfect world and an imperfect body or flesh garment. Prog has also spoken of Satan in a ritualistic way. It has often made reference to having sex with demons or even Satan himself. Prog touches upon the subject of sexual intercourse through a religious or supernatural experience. Blues touch upon the same ideals , but was more "down to earth" with riddles and sexual references in the style of street talk. 

I no expert on American slavery Todd, but I find it hard to imagine that sex for black slaves was discouraged as that would have produced free salves that than could be sold to other slave owners for what I'm sure would have made them some big bucks.

Edited by SteveG - October 22 2014 at 15:17
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 15:58
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

I'm proud to know more about shining flying purple wolfhounds than sex.

The dates with the ladies must be... interesting. Wacko
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 03:24
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I imagine prog sex would be extremely long, kind of confusing, and in a room decorated with rainbows, purple clouds and random elephants. And the climax would sound like Jon Anderson. 

Pros And Cons of Hitchiking perhaps... the closest I can think (for the time being about) sex and prog rock. (no, more than just the album cover!)

How about when that pic gets censored. I do find the pop music world very prudish at times. Ironic, amusing and yet, stupid.

Oh I know, Lamb Lies Down for one of the most bizarre sex comedies, not forgetting Gabriel's notes on Live.... Or Phil's dirty ;) commentaries in concert, replacing the more surreal ones of Gabriel. Non PC days but still equality based...

When broached, the subject is still more cerebrally based so no one should feel things are getting ... prog related.... lofty distance from the earthy can still be maintained. Phew, close call.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 07:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I no expert on American slavery Todd, but I find it hard to imagine that sex for black slaves was discouraged as that would have produced free salves that than could be sold to other slave owners for what I'm sure would have made them some big bucks.

Not discouraged and not going out of their way to discourage male slaves from having sex, but humiliating them after it was assumed that they were already having sex in a relationship by raping their women and expecting the male slave to live with that reality as a means of psychological torture. Just acting mean about it. Taking advantage of a woman who was in love with a male slave basically. But hardly anything about a slave's life was encouraged or validated anyway, so I don't visualize a male slave working in a cotton field or on a pea farm, strolling into work and discussing what he had been doing with his woman without getting slapped around or even beaten. It was important to produce free slaves and I agree with you on that point, but I seriously doubt if the majority of slave owners allowed the slaves to enjoy the idea....which was to converse about it to others...and that's precisely what is discussed in Blues songs.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 08:14
One particular Blues lyric that strikes me as strange is..."I don't want no woman, I want every downtown man she with". Proper diction never fits into Rock n' Roll or Blues anyway, but this must mean that the man wants to fight every man who has had sex with his woman. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 10:55
^Exactly. Jealousy and revenge are prevalent motifs in blues songs

Edited by SteveG - October 23 2014 at 10:56
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 12:20
The interesting aspect to sex related lyrics in Blues music is that they surround a different time period. To understand the various morals in people during those times... or the prejudice attitudes, you'll find that both scenarios enter into the concept of the sexual related stories in the Blues songs.In that sense it makes the music more interesting to me. There's signs of Folklore in the sex stories and a bit of voodoo/mojo from the Blues masters culture. The culture that was home to them ..prior to being unmercifully dragged into ours.  
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 13:23
I've Got a tombstone hand
and a graveyard mine
I'm just 22
and I don't mind dying

I've traveled the road in the music business for decades and every musician I've ever met....even in the present,. has a different interpretation for these lyrics. It could be that the word tombstone is making reference to death, the past, or a connection to it. The word hand could be a reference to coldness of the hands and a dark or black heart. Graveyard mine could be taken literally or a meaning of connection to death and possibly suicide. "I'm just 22 and I don't mind dying" is Satanic and can be attributed to a phrase used by witches who discover rituals which tell of rebirth and entrance to another world. 

It's a Hoodoo type of song . Hoodoo.spells.. dating back to the 1800's basically tells us to engage with supernatural forces in order to gain power to progress with one's life.The lyrics can be connected to a form of expression through Hoodoo social environment. The song is also taken by many folks to be a plea to a woman for sex. 

Edited by TODDLER - October 23 2014 at 13:56
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 14:38
^I've seen the above song with one subtle variation. Instead of 'and a graveyard mine', I recall seeing 'and a graveyard mind' which put's a completely different spin on the song, I. E. the narrator is  a murderous type. I'll see if I can recover more from my files.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2014 at 15:37
^Yes. Lightning Hopkins version of Who Do You Love.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2014 at 05:51
Yes....I've seen that too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>