Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRank these bands according to influence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:30
Yeah, we should take it somewhere other than this thread. Wink  I take it you don't like Grandine Il Vento too much either?  Yeah, find the songs on the new album rather lacking in energy.  And it's nothing to do with the age of the band because the live performances of the 70s tracks are still damn good.  Also agree that Mystic does in fact evoke the older material with a gothic twist (probably the direction they should have taken in the 80s).
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 10:36
You're probably both right, but it's been an interesting conversation to read ..........and hell, I don't even like Renaissance!!!LOL
Also a breath of fresh air to a part of the forum that very quickly turns into lists with no banter whatsoever. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 20:54
this thread is where we continue discussion of Renaisance with focus on their latest album.
Come join us!

Edited by kenethlevine - October 27 2014 at 20:56
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 20:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't even like Renaissance!!!LOL

hope you enjoyed the laugh...  the comment just cost you TWO micky points..
Rockin rob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 01:29
I don,t think anyone mentioned Hawkwind ? A little different than other bands of their era! Gentle Giant perhaps! Variety is the spice of life and musical influences show creativity with passion and experimentation at there peak!
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 10:06

Rush?  Influential?  To whom?  Rush was a Canadian knock off of Yes + Zep.....some great radio tunes and that's exactly where their success originated - classic rock FM radio.  Back in the late 70s, stoners and metal heads really dug Rush, but Crimson, Genesis and Yes fans thought they were crude and clones of something more substanial.  Rush as prog giants really only came about since the 90s.....in the mid to late 80s, I would see Rush in front of 300 people.  Their popularity had peaked with Moving Pictures, and they were on the downswing.  Then the push of a couple greatest hits packages, videos and feature tours turned them from high school parking lot heroes to prog kings.  Decent band but totally a product of other parts.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 01:10
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Rush?  Influential?  To whom?  

Beyond The Lighted Stage has contributions from a number of musicians although I can't remember exactly who. They had more influence on the metal and alternative rock scene than they did on prog as far as I can see.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 09:47

Rush?  Influential?  To whom?  Rush was a Canadian knock off of Yes + Zep.....some great radio tunes and that's exactly where their success originated - classic rock FM radio.  Back in the late 70s, stoners and metal heads really dug Rush, but Crimson, Genesis and Yes fans thought they were crude and clones of something more substanial.  Rush as prog giants really only came about since the 90s.....in the mid to late 80s, I would see Rush in front of 300 people.  Their popularity had peaked with Moving Pictures, and they were on the downswing.  Then the push of a couple greatest hits packages, videos and feature tours turned them from high school parking lot heroes to prog kings.  Decent band but totally a product of other parts.

Well said---Clap  Rush is arena rock at it's peak---probably has more metal and stoner fans than prog rock fans ..they use to say they wanted to do an album as amazing as Relayer---one of their favorite albums......but they never did.Smile
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 19:33
It depends what "influential" means. I say influencial means without that band prog wouldn't exist or sound the same, which would probably be King Crimson. They influenced basically all the crucial bands of prog. If you mean what band has the most followers even among musicians, it would have to Pink Floyd or Rush, though as some have pointed out they have led to bands in other genres.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2014 at 21:56

Rush's influence on prog metal is almost indisputable.  Now if you happen to think prog metal is not prog rock, then of course that's a different discussion altogether.  What you have mapped out over there is just the peaks and troughs of their popularity, which doesn't necessarily stop other musicians from drawing inspiration from their music.  
petewhit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 18:50
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 19:20
Well, let's see:

King Crimson and Gentle Giant were the forerunners of the eclectic side of prog, and I think they played on stage together from time to time (????)
Yes and Genesis pioneered symphonic rock with more orchestrated effects. 
Jethro Tull are the undeniable gods of prog folk, beating almost every band out of the competetion.
Rush turned prog on it's head by making it heavier and more pleasing to both metalheads and prog fans.
Pink Floyd turned the world itself upside down with the new and improved space rock genre.

Those are probably my top pick for influential artists. Wink
http://fryingpanmedia.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456