Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnd Then There Were Three: Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 01:29
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I  do not what to say here above to be honest. this seems fruitless. The Wall and Animals is Waters and wow pros and cons of hitchhiking plus amused to death, these, two of my overall best albums to date!

About Animals, it IS one of my favourite PF albums (No 2, or perhaps even tied at No 1 with Wish you Were Here)... however, even though the band members themselves have spoken about how Waters control over the band was tightening by then, I don't totally buy the idea that it was an album totally dominated by him... yet. Yeah, he is the only writer on almost all the song... but that's almost, and thee one song he shares credits is Dogs, which takes almost half the time of the album, and for me is the very best song on the album, and as far as I understand musically was mainly a Gilmour song (but as often happens with Pink Floyd, Waters gets a share of the writing credits on most songs because of the lyrics... so it is difficult to actually know in which songs he actually contributed to the music). As for The Wall... it's a great album in it's own merit, but it's still a step down from the previous albums for me, and indeed the best song in it for me is Comfortably Numb... once again, co-written with Gilmour (suposedly once again, the music being mainly by him). As for Waters solo albums, they do have some really nice songs, but it shows he needed some help to make them really great albums (except for Amused to Death, which is indeed his best solo album... but even that one has a few weaker songs... and in some guitar solos, I really wish Gilmour had been there to make them really special).

Dellinger, I understand why you said that, but aww I do not think the same, Roger Water was brilliant at writing lyrics and overall show and music production. Here is a fact, Endless River, the last and only vocal track is not as good in my opinion to the rest of the instrumental tracks. Also Amused to Death with Jeff Beck among others is indeed a brilliant album but that was not the only brilliant album, pls have a listen to this album (Eric Clapton n guitars here, never been a fan of his before this) the guitar tune kills me here awww HeartRoger Waters - 5:06AM (Every Strangers Eyes) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6_RnKjKLJ0 xxxxx

About The Endless River, I completely agree about the last song, indeed a shame they ended their career with a rather weak song. Still, I think the worst of the album was the one with the sax player... indeed it shows the best sax player for Floyd is Dick Parry. But, we already knew that most of the time Pink Floyd had trouble with lyrics without Waters (still, louder than words for me is a bad song not only because of it's lyrics, but the music itself is weaker than on the rest of the album). And indeed there are some wonderful guitar moments on Amused to Death and Pros and Cons (Every Strangers Eyes is indeed a wonderful song, and not only because of it's guitar playing)... but Gilmour is perhaps my favourite guitar player overall, so I would like the guitarplaying, and actually the melodies too, better on the Pink Floyd albums without Waters than on the Roger Waters solo albums.
Dillenger, true what you said about Gilmour, I believe this too, he played/plays the most memorable tunes. Many bands try to emulate his guitaring however some (inc. those who readily compare other bands sounding like Floyd)  tend to forget that Gilmour is not only lead breaks, he comes up with the most beautiful tunes plus when he does lead breaks after that big build up of crescendos, he equally manages to bring you gently down.
Big hug to you, HugApprove xxx

Edited by Kati - April 24 2015 at 01:29
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 02:19
^ Kati - I you !! You know Gilmour's intentions. He is my super choice of guitarist. Many emulate, yet barely come close to his 'magic' touch, let alone compositional skill and melody.
The closest I've come is Nick Barrett (Pendragon), and Frank Bornemann (Eloy)..........close, but no cigar.........
But in-keeping with this thread, ATTWT is one of the bewildering offerings from the dying 'Prog 70's' era. Given the line-up upheavals, and the actual time-line-frame, this mob produced a wonderfully Progressive album and I don't understand why so many folks dislike it ?? I am (or maybe 'was') obsessed with classic 70's Prog, but this album doesn't do the genre any dis-justice. At least we get a guitarists' solo career out of it, even an ex-vocalist - and, depending on your POV, there's also some Banks material, a fairly commercial Rutherford career, and a superstar Collins career. May not be to everyone's tastes, but admirable either way.
When I view these 1978 'giants' albums ...... Genesis is excellent, Yes is very good, and ELP just skimmed by ( I do like Love Beach).   Simply worship Van Der Graaf, but they're an entirely different kettle of fish.
It wasn't such a huge step between Wind And Wuthering and ATTWT.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2015 at 02:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Kati - I you !! You know Gilmour's intentions. He is my super choice of guitarist. Many emulate, yet barely come close to his 'magic' touch, let alone compositional skill and melody.
The closest I've come is Nick Barrett (Pendragon), and Frank Bornemann (Eloy)..........close, but no cigar.........
But in-keeping with this thread, ATTWT is one of the bewildering offerings from the dying 'Prog 70's' era. Given the line-up upheavals, and the actual time-line-frame, this mob produced a wonderfully Progressive album and I don't understand why so many folks dislike it ?? I am (or maybe 'was') obsessed with classic 70's Prog, but this album doesn't do the genre any dis-justice. At least we get a guitarists' solo career out of it, even an ex-vocalist - and, depending on your POV, there's also some Banks material, a fairly commercial Rutherford career, and a superstar Collins career. May not be to everyone's tastes, but admirable either way.
When I view these 1978 'giants' albums ...... Genesis is excellent, Yes is very good, and ELP just skimmed by ( I do like Love Beach).   Simply worship Van Der Graaf, but they're an entirely different kettle of fish.
It wasn't such a huge step between Wind And Wuthering and ATTWT.

Big smile Tom! I love you more!!!! mhwoaaahhxx!!!! Hug yes back to Genesis topic (four Genesis here, however within topic of Steve Hacket)
This is for you, Tom Ozric
This live vid at the start Gabriel reminds me of David Bowie talking and therafter Focus with papa pu pipa plupumta ... hihihi ...
Another big hug to you, Hug
Genesis - Supper's Ready (Live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M58wE8GTGp4
xxxx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910