2 [18.18%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeff Buckley or Kurt Cobain
    Posted: November 08 2014 at 19:09
Both late artist left to early, but both created landmark albums which have defind a genreration, and have shifted the landskape so dramaticly that you can actualy Draw a line before/after, spessialy with Nevermind, but Grace is probably the single most successfull output an artist have had without getting any of the rewards for it, (exept maybe Jimi).

But who do you liket the most and whos missed the most in todays musikal landscape, which such a meassure is right to do.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 19:38
i vote for Jeff, more appealing and such a potentual.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 20:11
I'll take Jeff over Kurt easily.  Not that he's my favorite musician, as the poll asks, but I admire his output and think he had a lot of potential.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 20:49
Jeff.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 22:39
Jeff Buckley was a better singer, guitarist and songwriter.  And I do like Nirvana.  Nirvana ultimately paved the way for scores of lazy alt rock albums that were big on volume and low on expression.  The only 90s band doing something similar in spirit to Jeff Buckley - in terms of capturing a 70s like dynamism - was Dave Matthews Band and they were nowhere near as intense. The title track of Grace is one of the most incredible rock songs you could ever hear, period.  

Edited by rogerthat - November 08 2014 at 22:43
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 23:15
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I'll take Jeff over Kurt easily.  Not that he's my favorite musician, as the poll asks, but I admire his output and think he had a lot of potential.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 13:23
The whole Nirvana craze kind of confused me - here you had an "anti-commerical" leader of one of the most commerical bands of the era.  Those MTV videos aimed straight for the high school/frat boy crowd, yet Cobain always spoke out against just that.  Seemed Kurt wanted to have his cake and eat it too.  His suicide is even stranger, it's like it was meant to be....that there was no other way out.  I remember he had tried suicide and was unsuccessful, but instead of seeinng help or friends getting help for him, he just turned to it again.  It all seemed like a publicity stunt and that he's alive and well somewhere right now.  At least that's what I hope.  Sad to die for something you never really believed in, so I won't even entertain the thought.  Kurt is working at a convenience store in Wilkes-Barre, PA.  Yeah, that's it.

And Jeff....why did he jump in that river with his boots on?  Suicide?  His career was just taking off; people were just beginning to appreciate that voice and his unique solo guitar style.  He fretted over not producing like his dad, who'd made eight albums by the time he was 26 or 27 and Jeff had only made one....but is that a reason to seek eternal darkness?  

I can only imagine the pain both must have endured to even think of suicide....I pray nobody has to go thru such a horrible experience. 

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 14:11
so he did not die in a normal case of drowning, misjudging the current/stream in the river?
 Post Reply Post Reply