Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAsia is bad? Can’t be!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 16:43

This isn’t the first time there’s a topic appearing about how bad Asia is. Really, I don’t understand the fuss.This issue should have been discussed in 1982 not in 2005, but I supposed there was a similar discussion back then. Being a teen at the time, Asia showed me the way to prog music and after that a whole new musical world opened. To my humble opinion they did a great job with introducing young people to this kind of music. I especially liked the first two albums. True on some moments it does sound more like aor than prog but what the hell. On other moments they play an accessible version of this kind of music. This is just what Yes did at the time, remember ? Prog music is not just about complex compositions, classical themes or extended instrumental  interludes. It’s also about creating a symphonic landscape of different instruments playing their parts at the same time to create a symphonic wall of sound and that’s just what these guys did. Songs like “Here comes the feeling”, “Wildest dreams”, Without you”, “Cutting it fine”, “Daylight”, “The smile has left…” , “Time again”, “Ride easy, “After the war”  and maybe on or two others are pure prog. Most of their other tracks could be classified under the file of “aor with symphonic tendencies”, the last category is pure aor : the 4 hitsingles, Too late, Countdown to zero, ….

The 90’s Asia are sounding even more aor but the prog elements are still there. Just listen to some stuff of the Arena album or the bonus tracks from Aura.. But I do prefer the Wetton era with special remarks for the debut album.  Although it may have something to do with nostalgic feelings, I do like Alpha very much as well, just listen to a track like “Eye to eye”, it  may sound very eighties but it’s still very enjoyable and the keyboard and guitar parts are awesome even if the composition is rather simple. Funny how the quality of the music seems to go downhill subsequent release. But their latest aor album Silent Nation was a very decent effort. But it’s no prog by any means. Does this mean this is bad music ? Not for me !  I suppose a lot of people were expecting a lot when they noticed the name of the 4 members on the sleeve of the first album. You shouldn’t compare Asia to what these guys did in the seventies, this was a different era. If you wanted a track of 15 minutes on an album in 82, you wouldn’t get a record deal. When compared to the music of that time, this wasn't so bad.
Chris88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 12:02
 I just bought asia Alpha and it SUCKS!!!! It was $1.98 and the only reason I bought it was for the cool cover. How can anything with Wetton and Howe be this bad
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 18:00

Goose said:

At least they don't put out naff music at the same time though eh?

Erm.....erm.......erm...oh bugger you got me there goose........................but they did release the poll tax...and that was def out of tune with everybody

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 18:59

Originally posted by Chris88 Chris88 wrote:

I just bought asia Alpha and it SUCKS!!!! It was $1.98 and the only reason I bought it was for the cool cover. How can anything with Wetton and Howe be this bad

Actually that is the Asia  album I like the least! Truly uninspirational and quite boring compared to a lot of their other albums

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Gene View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 16:17

I agree that Asia is not prog rock, it is shamefully commercial and, considering the band members, one would expect some unbelievable masterpieces, yet it is decent music.

In an era dominated by endless lame pop-dance hits, no wonder some legendary prog names gathered and came up with something that would reflect the popular pressure. Nonetheless, the Asia albums never went so low as Phil Collins solo horrors. And, on almost all the tunes, the virtuosity is impressive and that makes the overall work at least respectable.

Sole Survivor and Who Will Stop The Rain beautiful songs, and I still like them even after years of listening.

zaxx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 16:34

I dunno but when I think of Asia, I think of :

1) Aura -> awesome

2) Aqua -> beautiful

3) Rare -> unique

4) Aria -> heavy

The rest is of course mediocre...

Destiny... Infinity... Eternity...
aapatsos View Drop Down