Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Best Rush Concert you Attended!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 12:15
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Only been to one Rush concert, on the Presto tour (opening band = Mr. Big???!).  Honestly don't remember much about it (my memory is really bad), though I do recall they played 2112, or at least sections of it, which was cool.  Xanadu as well, I think.

I saw that tour at the Forum in Los Angeles. Indeed, Mr. Big was the opener. Not "my cuppa" but in retrospect it was cool to see Billy Sheehan tear it up. Yes, they played "Xanadu," and the entire show, including encore, was approx. 2HRs. We thought it was going to clock in at another 20-30min.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 12:59
Hi,

NONE

(And proud of it!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 02:39
Hi,

Useful posts by Mr Moshkito on the forum

NONE

and proud of it
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hi,

Useful posts by Mr Moshkito on the forum

NONE

and proud of it
LOLLOLLOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:55
1992 Wembley Arena . 10 quid on the door for one of the last 3 seats, just blowled up on spec - it worked! Primus opened and did a version of Kashmir. Saw the tape of the night before on sale in pub near where I lived. Now have soundboard of the one I went to, way cool...

....bookending my stay in UK was the other good Rush gig the R30 concert. Same venue too but T shirt washing machines in place of amps.

Only been to two so I find it difficult to choose. I like the first one for it being less event like and more rock gig - but really I'll need help here to choose.

Fine band in every respect.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:23
May I add that the best Rush concert I never attended was the heavily televised Clockwork Angels show from wherever and shot on film. From the look of things, there was electricity in the air.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 12:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

NONE

(And proud of it!)

Hey, I'm no massive Rush fan, but lighten up already, buddy. And look into Caress of Steel. An earnest effort generally panned by the rock press at the time. Some nice prog elements.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:34
Not a Rush fan per se, but I was lucky enough to catch two nights in Moncton and St. John on Rush's tour of minor league hockey arenas in 1987.  Small venues packed with a few hundred drunk New Brunswickers, and the band promoting an awful record - I think it was Hold Your Fire.  The scene more than the music was the most memorable part of the shows.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 13:40
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

NONE

(And proud of it!)

Troll harder, Pedro, you're slipping.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 01:10
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Not a Rush fan per se, but I was lucky enough to catch two nights in Moncton and St. John on Rush's tour of minor league hockey arenas in 1987.  Small venues packed with a few hundred drunk New Brunswickers, and the band promoting an awful record - I think it was Hold Your Fire.  The scene more than the music was the most memorable part of the shows.

I remember not being that thrilled with Hold Your Fire - I had the record as did a friend of mine. He suggested playing side 2 followed by side 1 which gave a much better album experience. Trouble is, that was a long time ago and I no longer have a copy to see if i still think the same. But it's worth trying - it may work. Smile
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2014 at 01:37
The 2 shows I saw were Presto and RTB. My enjoyment of the shows was largely dictated by the opening act. I felt Rush was more enjoyable on the Presto show,  but surviving the dreadful Mr. Big made Rush amazing by comparison. The RTB show had Rush featuring another album full of music I didn't like. But the show had a change of opening act at the last minute. Originally advertised as King's X opening, they had to cancel for some reason. They managed to get Primus to open, a glorious middle finger to Polygamy Records after the company sued Primus over the use of the ride intro on YYZ to open one of their songs. It was the best I ever heard Primus (been to about a dozen Primus shows). Les Claypool was absolutely beside himself that they were given the opportunity. So I think that show was more enjoyable.
freyacat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 12:00
< id="" id=":AA2F4D1D-BC58-4ac1-931C-94B431C26869"> I have seen Rush twice.  The first time was my first concert ever, on the Presto tour in Vancouver, BC.  I was so excited, but the band seemed stiff and uninspired.

My second experience of Rush live will probably be the greatest musical experience of my life.  Seeing Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour, I experienced a band which has consciously chosen to do the best work of their career.  I saw a band which was loose and having fun, and giving their songs from the 80's their very best effort.

I am sure that if they tour again, it would be hard to match what they accomplished on that tour.  That being said, I think that Rush has found their mojo again, and I hope that they continue for years to come!
iframe,embed,object,img,div{behavior: url(#htmlfilter)} window.onerror=abperr; function abperr(a,b,c){return true;}
sad creature nailed upon the coloured door of time
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 12:13
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

The first time that I saw them was in 1989 for the Presto tour, and I have seen them pretty much every time they have come around since then.  My favorite was probably the Roll the Bones tour in 1991. 

The RtB tour was my first show and it was outstanding.  You never forget your first lol LOL
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 12:14
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

17th June 1977, Glasgow Apollo.

This must have been a ridiculously good show.
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2015 at 21:21
^ sweet list but Cinderella Man encore? lol
To answer the question, the first and likely best concert will be this next tour! I got tickets and am very stoked!
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 20:47
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

I saw them many times in the 80's and 90's (with a girl who worshipped the band).  The shows were disappointing because of the strict adherence to the recorded versions of songs, and the most of the variance turned out to be the same from tour to tour.

I only saw them once, - it was my first concert ever - but I have to say I too was disappointed. I expected craziness, and instead I saw 3 guys standing in one place for a couple of hours, barely moving, and, as Evolver says above, adhering closely to the studio tracks.

Let's see, it was right after Moving Pictures had been released, "Tom Sawyer" was all the rage, I was about 13 years old, and I was living in Tampa, Florida at the time. Not sure which venue they would have played.

After this experience, I decided I preferred listening to concerts on the radio and recording them (anyone remeber the King Biscuit Flower Hour?), rather than going to smoke-filled migraine-inducing concert halls, lol. (This was confirmed after I saw Pink Floyd play JFK in DC during the Momentary Lapse tour. I haven't been to a big concert since. Strictly clubs after that.)

Edited by jude111 - February 08 2015 at 20:53
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 21:03
Only saw them twice.  But of the two it was the Grace tour.  It helped being 3rd row on Alex's side.  They were so "on" that night. 

TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 21:29
I only saw them once...
November 23, 1974
Shrine Auditorium - Los Angeles
Rory Gallagher, Wet Willie
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 21:44
To be honest (as I always try to be) I bought the tickets to see Rory Gallagher. I was a fan since the first Taste album.
I'm surprised at some of the disappointed posts because Rush was extremely hot that night. 
They were loud and they were tight. I'll always remember Alex Lifeson would move to the front of the stage 
and stand on his tip toes during his solos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12